5.0 out of 5 stars Singing The Praises Of Finer Things, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Crisis (Audio CD)
Thirty years? Has it really been that long since I bought that green 12" single of African and White with my saved up dinner money? Sorry, Mum.

As most of us will testify bands drift in an out of our lives and we have a mad splurge on a particular artist and lose interest again. Thirty years ago I would say my music taste was pretty eclectic. Kraftwerk, Bill Nelson, YMO, Pete Shelley, Paul Haig, OMD, the Chinas, of course. While all those artists are still very much a part of my life there have been a few casualties along the way...did I really used to like DAF? What was I thinking!?

I've stayed in touch with the band over the years though as have seen them more times than I can remember. I particularly have fond memories of their residencies in Ronnie Scotts' in Birmingham in the mid-90s.

Anyway, onto Ultimate Crisis. It's a nice package considering it was less than a fiver, a thin but informative booklet and some nice imagery. The music, of course, is five star, how could it not be?

The thing I always liked about China Crisis was their progression from their experimental early years (Performing Seals, Be Suspicious, etc) to their big band days of Diary Of A Hollow Horse. Every album was different. Difficult Shapes was fresh and exciting, Fire and Steel; political pop and Flaunt the Imperfection, the ultimate pop album for me was...Steely Dan...with shimmering, hummable pop songs. What Price Paradise carried on the mantle, though less so with their final Virgin album, Diary Of A Hollow Horse. I'll do a separate review of that so won't drone on about it too much here.

This compilation gives a nice balance to counterweight the genuine hits of Christian Catholic Style, Wishful Thinking and Black Man Ray. There are some lesser known but equally classy singles, You Did Cut Me, Blue Horizons, Best Kept Secret, Scream Down at Me, etc. A smattering of choice album cuts, Blue Sea, It's Everything and some b-sides, which is a nice touch as these haven't been available on CD since the limited double-CD version of The Collection back in 1990. Some of my favourites aren't on here - The Understudy, Wall Of God, Temptation's Big Blue Eyes, It's Never Too Late, Sweet Charity - but trying to knock down their back catalogue for a 34 track double is no easy task. Also, this compilation only covers their Virgin years so you won't (unfortunately) get to hear anything from the excellent Warped By Success album released in 1994.

This is a great CD and well worth having for three reasons: 1) It's China Crisis for God's sake!, 2) it's cheap, and 3) those gorgeous b-sides. However, it's a shame that all China Crisis seem to be worth now are new best of compilations every few years.

Their albums really are brilliant and it would be nice if Virgin could take the opportunity, as they have with other bands in their back catalogue (OMD for example), to re-master those albums complete with b-sides and extended versions. There are so many tracks that some fans might not get the opportunity to hear now: Dockland, Forever I and I, Little Italy, Greenacre Bay, 96.8, It's Never Too Late, etc. I can only dream of having double-CD versions of those albums. If Edsel can do it for pap like the Thompson Twins then surely Virgin can do it for CC? Maybe one day, eh?

Finally: Garry, Eddie. I maybe a 46 year old Dad, married with kids, but I love ya!

Don't ever give up, will you?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Mar 2012 21:13:03 GMT
R. Solomon says:
Excellent review mate - takes me back to when I saw CC supporting Simple Minds at Leeds Uni in 1982 & I think I also saw then supporting Fashion (remember them ?) at the Leeds Warehouse around 1981 - god I'm getting old. Good to have some stuff available on CD - excellent band, very under RATED.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 21:39:10 GMT
Oh yes, the days when Simple Minds were a great band. Yes, I remember Fashion. They came to my local record shop when I was at school and I got my 12" singles signed.

Seems like five minutes ago, doesn't it?

Posted on 14 Mar 2012 11:09:30 GMT
Currently number one bestseller in New Wave and 234 overall. Not bad, eh fellas?

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 10:24:58 GMT
Mr. D. Lewis says:
Great review CVF.
It really is coincidental I am also 46 and that the first CC record I bought by the band was the green 12" reissue of 'African..' as well!
I also always thought that this band were very underrated of course but still to this day cannot understand why 'A Golden Handshake For Every Daughter' was not an A side.
I've still got most of the vinyl (remember the foldout sleeve of '....Catholic', the mirror vinyl of '...Fire & Steel' or the two hands shaped pic discs of 'Black Man Ray'??).
I haven't had my copy of this CD yet CVF, what's the sound quality like?

Best

Darren

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 18:19:29 GMT
Darren, I agree about H#hdshake. It deseved better than being tucked away as a b-side. Same goes for Greenacre Bay.

Sound quality is excellent, seems louder than stuff on The Collection.

Simon

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2012 08:51:39 GMT
Mr. D. Lewis says:
Yep, fabulous track is Greenacre Bay...I love 'Performing Seals' as well- Fluff to many but it was one of many excellent little instrumentals that Garry and Eddie were so good at.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2012 11:19:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Mar 2012 11:19:15 GMT
Yes Performing Seals is wonderful. I like Dockland and Forever I and I too.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 17:57:16 GMT
dazzprince2 says:
Another 46 year old here

I do indeed remember Fashion when they supported ahem Kajaagoo at Cardiff Uni

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 17:59:53 GMT
dazzprince2 says:
Or Kajagoogoo even

Posted on 25 Mar 2012 15:02:50 BDT
Interesting that the song that you use as the title for your review isn't actually on this collection.

It's a bit of a shame that it isn't, as I consider it one of their best songs.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›