3.0 out of 5 stars Drop the vocals please......, 2 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Giants (Audio CD)
This album chould have been so much more, should have so much...
1. Barefoot - Great relaxing song, ideal way to start the album (and your morning). This is the sound of Chicane we have come to love.
2. MDR - The first proper single of the album. Has a nice charm to it (though it sounds suspiciously like Poppiholla at times). Made to be too radio friendly imo.
3. Come Back - Way to long and repetitive. Great for clubs but definitely one of the weaker songs. In its defence though it has arguably the coolest first minute on the album :)
4. WAIDH (part 1) - Way to much vocals on this track. The songs has a good flow and nice tempo but never really goes anywhere.
5. Giants - Very Daft Punk'ish but thats a good thing. A change of scenery for Chicane, demonsrating his desire to broaden the albums appeal.
6. Poppiholla (5am) - Should have used the original remix rather than this remix. The song does nothing wrong, it just doesnt offer anything vastly different, plus there is a very annoying percussion throughout the main tune.
7. So Far Out To Sea - Fantastic tune, arguably the strongest on the album. The lyrics are haunting and memorable, the introduction of the drum and bass is cool and like Giants, i find it to be very un-Chicane but in a good way.
8. Where Do I Start - Great first minute and a half, song promises early then fades once the vocals become dominant for the duration of the track. Probably another one for the clubs
9. From Where I Stand - Easy enough to listen to but very 'trancy'. Let down once again by annoting vocal that ruin an otherwise very listenable song.
10. HATS - Awful. Weakesk on the album. Everything about this song is bad and it ruins the feel an quality of the album. Only a filler to increse the albums run time.
11. WAIDH (part 2) - While the vocals are fine on the song, i feel if they were left out this song could have been something special. Maybe the second best on the album and a potential hit as it features Lemar.
12. Titles - Old Chicane returns to wind the album down and put us to sleep. Great chill out sound and a great end to an other wise average album.

Overall - Flashes of genius hint that chicane has found his old spark but is still pulled down by shady vocals and lyrics. Its a clear move away from Somersault which is great and perhaps it'll grow on me more but after 3 years i expected something better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Aug 2010 15:31:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Aug 2010 16:07:45 BDT
Mostly agree with your summary apart from Hiding All The Stars which I initially loathed but has been a surprise grower for me. The vocals on a lot of the tracks can be jarring; What Am I Doing Here Pt1 & 2 being far and away the worst culprits. Would have been a nice idea to have had a double cd release with the vocals removed as they feel overlaid and really do create a barrier between the listener and some wonderful pieces of music. Still gets 5 stars from me though!! :o)

Posted on 4 Aug 2010 00:13:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Aug 2010 16:20:00 BDT
Arway says:
I have to agree on So Far Out To Sea. An amazing track - easily my favourite on the album.

I actually really like What Am I Doing Here; it's WAIDH Part Two that I didn't like. I felt it was a poor, longer version of part one, and isn't really needed on the album.

Titles and Barefoot are GRAND! I am glad I waited for the album before listening to them in the previews.:)

EDIT: No, Titles is my favourite! Oh, man, is it majestic.

Posted on 12 Aug 2010 20:31:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Aug 2010 20:38:43 BDT
Halo572 says:
I would put up a 2 star review of this CD, but I know it would only get negative votes from those blinded by FFTMC wanting it to be as good, so I'm not going to. Anyone who didn't give FFTMC a 5 is a lunatic, but this certainly doesn't deserve it.

The only tracks I have time for are Barefoot and Titles, which I may eventually consider classic. Giants being the album title the actual track is a miss and the Poppiholla remix is nothing special that other mixes can't beat. The lyric tracks could likely be improved by simply removing the singer, but I am unlikely to be able to bear listening to them more than once to confirm this is the case. They don't even work the same way as Offshore 97 did with the addition of lyrics.

I didn't actually buy it, I learnt with the mostly now unplayed and not even on my Ipod Somersault (the previous 'Chicane is back' album), I borrowed it first to preview and will only be buying the two tracks I want as a download. Chicane is not back he popped in for 16% and then left and I'm wondering if he will ever truly return ever again.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2010 14:36:31 BDT
....if you thought it deserved 2, you should have given it a 2...! I know what you mean about the flame war you might face, but we are all entitled to our opinions :o) (Big Chicane fan by the way, but he isn't God after all!)

You're right about the lyrics too... Going for the clubs/revenue/concert crowd I feel.... shame really, but I suppose we all have a living to make.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›