4.0 out of 5 stars Those were the days..., 10 Dec 2008
This review is from: Singles Collection: Volume 1 (Audio CD)
Mr N D Harris seems to miss the point of this box set. This isn't supposed to replicate the Greatest Hits album or indeed be treated as such. I would guess that every person who buys this already has the songs on other albums. The whole point of this is simple - Nostalgia. These songs were issued as singles back in the days when singles actually meant something. Speaking from personal experience I would eagerly await the issue of a new single and, more often than not, would buy them even if I had the song on an LP. In these days of characterless MP3s and the obsession with quantity not quality there is very little to appeal to the serious music enthusiast who, as well as being a fan of the music, is also interested in the packaging. These type of releases serve two purposes - they help fans, like myself, relive their youth in a purposefully indulgent way and also allow the presentation of a product in a more exciting way than just a random compressed file on a computer. I, for one, applaud Queen and EMI for the effort and attention they have put into this project. My only criticism of the product is the price. It is WAY too expensive.
I hope labels keep on issuing products such as this. Some of us (quite a few by what I have ascertained) regard packaging as an essential part of music products. We are constantly ridiculed by the media for being old fashioned in our wish to hang on to paper and plastic. The MP3 has reduced music to a disposable commodity and I refuse to acknowledge it as a format. How refreshing to see a product that is unashamedly 'old-fashioned'. Long may it continue.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Dec 2008 23:14:59 GMT
I know it isn't replicating the greatest hits album as such, and it is nice for those who wish to update their vinyl collection and have no wish to buy the albums etc., but for me it is a lazy release. After Made In Heaven, what has been released on CD/Vinyl has not been that good especially Queen Rocks and Greatest Hits 3. Of course they was never going to be another Made In Heaven type album, but there is still enough in the vaults to release live concerts b-sides rarities album etc. I would love all the b-side non album tracks on cd, but I think paying around £120 (three more singles sets are due to be released) for See What A Fool I've Been, Human Body, I Go Crazy, Blurred Vision, A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling, Stealin, Hijack My Heart, My Life Has Been Saved, Soul Brother and Lost Opportunity is crazy in my opinion. I still look at it as rehash idea by Queen Productions not something totally original, but hey thats just my view on it.

I still like going out and buying the physical item when a band I like releases something, but this too expensive and not for me, but I do understand why people will buy this release and the reasons why and I am sorry this did not come across in my review.

Posted on 26 Apr 2010 18:06:22 BDT
Holland D says:
I agree with you totally , I love my packaging and I love it when someone I like releases something special on vinyl or as a box set or even their new single (Bananarama recently) and you are correct in saying that MP3 has reduced music to a disposable commodity...so very true !
I think this Queen package is fantastic , a great way to have all the songs together , it would also make a great present for someone just discovering Queen (yes they do exist !)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (11 customer reviews)

Reviewer