2.0 out of 5 stars Incredible handheld, 3G is useless, 6 Mar 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita (Wi-Fi + 3G) (Console)
Firstly I want to start by saying that the Vita itself is amazing and has a lot of potential. It is much more capable than my 3DS and already has a decent selection of titles to choose from. However, all that is mirrored in the other reviews so I will review this for its additional feature; The 3G.

I will say this plainly. Do not buy this version. Buy the WiFi version as the 3G is wasted here and I will explain why.

Firstly Vodafone customer support is worse than useless. It took 2 days to get the sim card credited and then another day for the Wipeout code to arrive. It took a total of 3 days to have the 3G working and free game as promised. This was also with phone operators accidentally barring my sim then blaming me for it, an atrocious website that won't allow you to top up or use a voucher, a customer rep who didn't actually know what a Vita was and being repeatedly lied to about the ETA of my game code. The forum mods who sorted my problem were excellent for their part, I should add.

Still not put off? Okay....

Once everything is up and running you can now check friends lists, use social apps and shop on PSN. That is pretty much ALL you can do with 3G on the Vita. Most games require wifi to take part in online gaming, with no other option. You can buy on the PSN store but unless the content is smaller than 20MB in size then you need wifi to download it. That pretty much rules out EVERYTHING but the most useless of DLC, even Minis tend to weigh in at 50MB or more. So unless you are willing to pay 5 pounds a month minimum just to go on Facebook and see what games your friends are playing, I suggest you give this a wide berth.

If you really want 3G then buy yourself a portable MiFi adapter or better yet, just tether the Vita to your phone's 3G connection. You will save a massive headache caused by Vodafone and their merry band of chimps and you will save yourself 50 as well. I should also add that either of those 2 methods will remove the 20MB download restriction and the WiFi online gaming requirement, seeing as your Vita will recognise them both as a WiFi connection. Please do not get caught out by this, I was and after the crap I had to put up with for what turned out to be a pretty useless I wouldn't want to see anyone else lose out. Trust me, just get the WiFi version instead.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Apr 2012 19:40:44 BDT
D. Beard says:
Thank you for the review of the 3G function, I was seriously tempted to fork out for extra money for it.
But I think I will stick to using my mobile phone as a hotspot to piggy back on its data connection.

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 11:09:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Apr 2012 11:14:31 BDT
J. Stowell says:

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012 13:44:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Apr 2012 01:15:28 BDT
["I'm not entirely certain you knew what you were buying in the first place, with regards to the 3G option. Vodafone customer service aside, as that is only a promotional sale and nothing to do with the Vita itself; Vodafone is the preferred partner, not the exclusive partner. 3G has never been a fast or high-bandwidth technology. You should have known that from owning a phone. Did you expect high-spec games to be 20MB in size?"]

Where did I say that I expected the 3G to be be faster or I expected high spec 20MB games? Er, I didn't. I also didn't say Vodafone was exclusive but you do need to use them to get your Wipeout 2048 game, hence why I went into some detail about their activation process. Also back to the 20MB remark, there aren't ANY games that size on the PSN, only a couple of apps.

["You are not limited to "check friends lists, use social apps and shop on PSN", as there is a fully-enabled internet browser."]

I forgot about the web browser but calling it fully enabled is a massive stretch. You can't watch videos, listen to music on sites or use any flash related features. Page loading speed is arthritic and the interface is poor. Not worth paying 5 a month for when you can pick and choose better options on your smart phone.

["The idea behind the 3G option is that you can use it in the middle of nowhere, at any time, when there is no WiFi available. All you need to do is get a Pay-As-You-Go sim from Three and you can have unlimited traffic for as little as 10 a month."]

I'm not debating the idea behind it I am saying it was poorly utilized which it is. You seem to have missed the entire point with every part of your response. What good is unlimited traffic when you aren't going to get close to using it? Also Three has the worst reception I have ever had so no thanks to that provider.

["I don't understand why you would give the console a 2-star rating because you had a bad experience with Vodafone and were expecting unrealistic usage from 3G connectivity."]

I gave the console a 2 star rating because it costs nearly 50 more than the WiFi only version for the sake of a token feature that is borderline useless. If I was reviewing the WiFi version it would have got 5 stars, but I am reviewing the 3G version. What exactly is unrealistic about my expectations of 3G? I expect to be able to game online using 3G, I can hook up a dongle to my PC and play World of Warcraft or FIFA without any major hassle. I also expect to not be treated like an idiot and be able to download whatever sized content I want, I can do this on my phone so should not be an issue on the Vita.

None of these things were mentioned on the Amazon webpage at the time of buying (and aren't on the actual box either) so saying its my fault as a consumer is an absolute crock. There are plenty others that will end up buying this with the same BASIC expectations as me which is contradicted nowhere in Sony's marketing. If you think that those expectations are unrealistic then you clearly aren't familiar with either 3G speed capability and how much speed is needed to game online (ie. Not much). The uselessness of the 3G feature is further compounded when you can simply use a MiFi adapter or phone as a hotspot to circumvent Sony's imposed limits. In other words there is NO reason to spend extra money on this version of the Vita.

I'm trying to make sure people know what they are getting for their money, not be nice to Sony or make excuses for the Vita's shortcomings. You can do that if you want but I doubt anyone spending that extra money is going to thank you for it.

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 13:00:34 BDT
Ady Miles says:
Yup. Vodafone Customer Service is PATHETIC.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 13:23:36 BDT
R. While says:
Good review, changed my mind now about getting the 3G version and excellent response to J. Stowell's idiotic comment!

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 15:51:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Apr 2012 15:56:41 BDT
JP says:
Thanks for the information as it was useful and i did consider it before my purchase.

I found there to be 30 difference in cost at the time of my bundle order (25th April 12) and i was able to get uncharted in the bundle with the 3g version but not WI-FI only.

Also this version has GPS and in the future may be useful for something (not sure if you can tether GPS from a phone).

Anyway thanks again for the information, i think if the WI-FI only model had a single game i was interested in i would have taken that version!

I had to go for the 3G version or otherwise i would have needed to pay the 30 difference to buy uncharted. So these were my options:

Wi-FI VITA + 4Gig Memory Stick + A game i would not use (Say Fifa for resale Value) + Uncharted (would have purchased separate)

or

3G VITA + 4Gig Memory Stick + Uncharted + maybe a free Wipeout (Fingers crossed with less problems than yourself)

Apart from the resale value for the extra game there would have not been that much difference in cost!! Personally for my situation 3G was the best option.

Posted on 3 May 2012 12:20:40 BDT
Steve says:
Great review, thanks for sharing your experience with Vodafone and their merry band of chimps! I nearly fell off my chair with laughter reading that bit!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2012 10:12:53 BDT
erm.....GPS....not available on the wifi only version!

connected in my car gives me google maps! and Navigation...that and it's now only 15 more than wifi only!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2012 13:47:51 BDT
....Which your phone also does for no extra charge. GPS is also going to mean little for anyone who doesn't own a car or already owns a StaNav.

Posted on 28 May 2012 18:08:04 BDT
Benjamin says:
I completely agree with you. The 3g and vodafone are completely useless. I tried topping up but every single time I got an error code
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (96 customer reviews)

169.00 166.00