5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy upgrade from the RX100, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Sony DSCRX100M2 Advanced Digital Compact Premium Camera with Large 1-inch Sensor and Bright High Quality Lens (Wi-Fi, NFC, Tiltable LCD Screen, Hot shoe) (Camera)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 5:48 Mins

♦ Brief ♦

I purchased the RX100 last year, which has since been my favourite compact camera to use, and so far I haven't come across a camera that betters it, that is of course until this upgrade that brings some much welcomed extras.

Here are some of the upgraded features:

☑ An improved sensor (Exmor R CMOS Sensor); it's still the same size and has the same effective mega-pixels, but is now backlit which means it's able to pick up light by a further 40%.
☑ Hot-shoe; no idea why they didn't include this on the previous version, but at least it's here now.
☑ Tilt-able screen; one of the things I was longing for on the old RX100, this is one of my favourite upgrades by far!
☑ NFC (Near-field communications); I love this extra feature, by tapping the bottom of this camera onto your phone that has NFC enabled, it will connect them both together straight away.
If you don't have PlayMemories Mobile installed, it will take you to the store to download it (for free), if you have it installed already, it will connect them both together where you can then control the camera with your phone, though the modes are limited, you're able to take stunning quality photos and instantly transfer them over to your phone when taken.
☑ Now have an extra choice of recording in 25p addition to the previous 50i & 50p.
☑ PAL & NTSC choice; in the settings you can switch from one to the other which I'm sure certain people will love.

- Zoom is still 3.6x optical zoom, this is normal for high-quality compact cameras such as this one.

☒ One thing this camera doesn't have is a touch-screen, this is debatable as a lot of people like this kind of feature, however others don't, personally I'm not a fan of touch-screen on cameras; I have a NEX 5RL and I always use the buttons to navigate, I hate using the touch-screen for some reason.

☒ Grip is minimal (best used with the wrist strap), once again this is down to preference, I like the combination of the sleek style whilst having just enough grip, but others may not like this.

♦ Box contents & recommended items ♦

Included in the box are the following:
Camera | AC adapter | Battery | Micro USB cable | Wrist strap | Two shoulder strap adapters | Manual.

Things you NEED:
SDHC Memory Card (You can choose a different brand/memory capacity, though do remember as this is a 20MP camera, files sizes average between 3MB-5MB if your using Jpeg in fine detail, or is around 20MB if using the RAW format (RAW image has a '.ARW' file extension)).

Optional:
Camera Case (LCJ-RXA) | USB SDHC Card Reader | Spare Battery NP-BX1 | HDMI - Micro HDMI Cable.

♦ Settings & Modes ♦

Just like the RX100, this is aimed towards people who are more advanced in photography due to it's great amount of changeability in settings, that said, like most cameras these days, regardless if it's a professional camera or for basic needs, they all seem to have automatic modes which allow people to snap shots quickly without having to worry about tweaking the settings in most situations.

The interface is pretty much identical to that of the RX100, with the addition of a few extra available settings located within the menu, for those who haven't seen it before all the settings are changed within the main menu, unlike the other cyber-shot cameras where a side menu pops up allowing you to change settings whilst being able to see what the camera is pointing at, this one has a solid menu that covers the whole screen, which is very appropriately tabbed making it easy to navigate.

Though if you wish to change a few settings quickly without going into the main menu, you can edit the 'Fn' button options (located on setting tab 2 in the main menu), this will give you the choice to select 7 out of 17 settings which will instantly be available upon pressing the 'Fn' button, choices range from image size, exposure, ISO, white balance, picture effects, HDR etc...

This function is partially transparent, so you can see where your pointing at.

To change modes, all you have to do is twist the mode dial located on top of the camera to the setting you want:

Intelligent Auto | Superior Auto | Program Auto* | Aperture Priority* | Shutter Priority* | Manual Exposure* | Memory recall** | Movie | Sweep Panorama | Scene Selection***.

* Advanced modes which allow you more customization in the settings.
** Allows you to set three different profiles, giving you quick access to your favourite settings.
*** Gives you a choice of many pre-set modes such as 'portrait', 'landscape', 'night scene' etc...

♦ Image Quality ♦

The quality is utterly fantastic, the camera is able to focus quickly to the subject to then take very nice sharp photos.

This camera is able to deliver an amazing amount of depth of field (obviously depends on which mode or settings you use), and found it be a bit more better than the previous RX100 when it comes to focusing on subjects at a closer range.

Due to it's sensor it's able to produce great low-light shooting results even when it's being held, though for some more impressive shots at lower lighting levels, I would recommend getting a sturdy tripod and play with the shutter settings.

The flash on this camera is also very good and I found it not to be overwhelming, I like the fact they've kept the same styled flash that allows you to manually point it upwards, allowing you to bounce the flash off the ceiling.

♦ Video Quality ♦

For those who are into recording movies/video footage, then you will be VERY pleased with this camera, especially on it's highest quality which produces a very smooth looking video.

You also have the choice of the following recording modes: 'Program Auto', 'Aperture Priority', 'Shutter Priority', 'Manual Exposure', which gives you more control over your movies.

The in-built stereo microphone is also very good quality, though with the addition of the hot-shoe it allows you to add a more advanced microphone (model number 'ECM-XYST1M'), when it becomes available.

♦ Helpful information ♦

When transferring files, if you're using the USB lead provided, make sure when it's connected you turn the camera on, otherwise it wont recognise the camera is connected.

Personally I would recommend getting a USB SDHC Card Reader, it's so much faster to navigate through files and delete the ones not needed, you can then copy and paste the desired photos onto your computer within seconds.

Pictures are located in the "DCIM" folder.

Videos can be found by going through folders; "PRIVATE" - "AVCHD" - "BDMV" - "STREAM".

♦ Overall opinion ♦

Due to the RX100 having such a positive response from customers all over the world, I think it was a clever move by Sony to improve the camera even further by adding extra features consumers had been talking about which would improve it even further, and with the RX100M2, it has done just that!

With the extra additions of an upgraded sensor with better sensitivity, hot-shoe, tilt-able screen, WiFi & NFC features, this definitely makes the RX100M2 a worthy upgrade.

That said, I don't think it completely replaces the RX100, because it is a great camera and now it's been given a really good price reduction, however if the extra features are something that would be of a greater use (which for me it has), then I think it would be well worth either upgrading, or buying this over the RX100.

Overall I would definitely recommend this camera, it's just utterly brilliant!

[EDIT]

♦ Video ♦

I have now included a video that shows the unboxing & overview of the camera. Please note that the version I was provided by Amazon to review was the Japanese version, I had contacted them about this and they assured me the ones coming to the UK will have all the relevant English documents and adapters.

♦ Photos ♦

Located under the main picture of the product is a link stating "See all customer images", click on that to see photos I have uploaded.

I do plan on going out and getting more photos as examples when I have more spare time. :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Jul 2013 13:47:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jul 2013 22:53:59 BDT
Sam-Theo says:
Thank you for the very first informative/introductory review. I eagerly await the arrival of my mark II shortly (I hope). One of the several reasons for wanting to add Mark II to my beloved one year old RX100 is the announcement of availability of a compatible Electronic Viewfinder. Sony, seem to have decided to keep totally MUM about this accessory, its particulars and its availability, have you any inkling about this item??
Re. Uploaded images; I no longer use Macro mode in RX100 on account of inability to choose my critical/specific 'autofocus area'. Instead, for Macro I prefer to use wide apertures in Aperture Priority mode and crop the image to my liking during post processing, as recommended by Alexander White in his manual. This gives me the quality which more than satisfies me.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2013 15:00:37 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
Hi Sam, thank you for the compliments! You're gonna love it when it arrives.

The viewfinder your probably thinking of is the Sony FDA-EV1MK, it's unfortunately an expensive piece of kit. :|

Also thanks for the tips on macro, I will have to try this, especially if you prefer the results this way. :)

Posted on 28 Jul 2013 09:22:54 BDT
Thank you for the excellent review, all point covered in a comprehensive manner. Mind you I see from your reviews that you have had at least 6 camera's and 1 video camera from Amazon Vine so I have to say that I begin to wonder at your objectivity.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013 09:32:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jul 2013 10:01:14 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
Thank you for the compliments Taylor!

And yes, I have been lucky when it comes to vine with cameras, though I also buy other cameras too (such as the HX50 & NEX-5RL), just to see what they're like, I'm a bit of a tech head that wants to know what other cameras have to offer, it also helps me compare them.

I get asked a lot from people on YouTube what other cameras are like, so the more I get the chance to use, the more I can help out, though it seems like I get offered more Sony than any other brand, would like to see what Panasonic have to offer nowadays as my first proper camera was their FS30. :)

Though I don't quite understand what you mean by wondering about my objectivity, I think what I said above has covered that if you are in doubt. :\

Funnily enough, I had actually been saving up to buy this camera to place my RX100 as I use it for recording my YouTube & Amazon videos, however my motorbike recently broke down and took all of the funds, so I'm more than grateful to be offered it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013 09:55:38 BDT
Well, that was fast.... "objectivity may be understood as synonymous with neutrality". Does that help? By the by I looked through your reviews because I was impressed with this one and thought there might be others from you worth reading

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013 10:05:39 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
I believe so, do you mean being unbiased? :\ If so, I always try to make sure I'm completely unbiased between all brands. :)

Also I'm complimented that you wanted to read my other reviews, I hope you liked them just as this one. :D

Posted on 13 Aug 2013 18:27:42 BDT
busb says:
I hope the image stabilisation works better than on my RX100. As an aside, the higher up the rankings reviewers are, the more likely they are to get negative scores - probably by other ranked reviewers!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2013 22:09:04 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
I haven't had to delete any photos due to blurring from shaking yet, that means either the image stabilisation is working good, or I have a very sturdy hand!

I guess it also depends on how much exposure it's set on too. :\

As for the negatives, I'm used to it and take it on the chin (I have noticed I receive more being higher ranked, however there could be another reason too it), just wish if they did find it unhelpful they could tell me why so I can find a way to make it more helpful or use that criticism to make a better review next time.

But hey-ho, that's just the way things go, nothing I can do about it. :)

Posted on 15 Aug 2013 12:32:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Aug 2013 12:32:32 BDT
N. Brown says:
Serioulsy considering this from a Panasonic TZ10, which I know does not come within ten miles of the Sony RX100 MkII I have one question though to help me jump in and buy, can you tell me please, dont you lose out on not having enough zoom with the Sony? This is the only thing putting me off. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 12:14:40 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
I guess to a certain extent maybe, however due to the high pixel count, there is more room for cropping without losing much detail, which you wont be able to do with the TZ10's 12MP.

When first using the RX100, which I had before this one, the 3.6x optical zoom did bother me and I longed for more zoom, but now it doesn't bother me at all, and although I purchased the HX50 which has 30x optical zoom, I tend to find myself bringing out the RX100M2 because I love the results it gives.

I think the photo results speak for themselves: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00DNVA0M6/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_dav :)

But in the end it's really down to whether you feel having more zoom is more appropriate for your needs.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›