5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 7 Jan 2008
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
Upon hearing Foundations for the first time on the radio, I did think it was Lily Allen, I can't deny it. But I was informed it was Kate Nash, who I'd never heard of. I rushed off to get the album and was shocked.

Innocent and wise, beautiful but ugly, pure truth and fun, with laughter and so much personality it would fill a small country, Made Of Bricks is the best album I have listened to in 2007.

Of course, there are a couple of dud tracks, but I can still happily listen to the entire album without needing to skip anything.

I personally don't think Nash released anything like her best songs- Mouthwash and Pumpkin Soup have grown on me since their releases, however, the songs which struck me the first time I listened are unlikely to ever be heard by anyone who doesn't buy this album.

Birds and Nicest Thing are quietly beautiful, whereas We Get On, Merry Happy and Mariella are bursting with fun with a bittersweet aftertaste.

These 5 songs make this album for me. The rest of the album is still brilliant by most standards, however, it is these songs I think she should be remembered for.

Having said that, I can honestly say that I listen to this album straight through, regardless of my mood or anything. I was shocked at how easy it was to listen to and like this album.

Made Of Bricks is the album that we need today, it summarises many, many issues in life without necessarily being specific about them. Personally, I feel that Kate Nash has reached and touched a whole generation.

On the other hand, if you can't stand her singles, you're unlikely to like this album.

NB: If you're looking for gutsy, pouty, cynical view of the world (ie Lily Allen's debut....), you are in the wrong place. Kate Nash is the light to Lily Allen's dark view of the world.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]