5.0 out of 5 stars Tough Test; - but a Real Winner, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Panasonic X900 Full HD 1920 x 1080p (50p) 3D Ready Camcorder with Built-In Viewfinder - Black (3MOS Sensor, 23x Intelligent Zoom, SD Card Recording, Leica Dicomar Lens and Manual Control Ring) 3.5 inch LCD (Electronics)
I bought this camera to use in place of a 6 year old Sony HDR-FX1 tape based semi-pro camcorder. At a fraction of the size of the Sony I din't feel a could expect too much!
The camcorder went to Florida and was exposed to bright light outdoors and dark rides at the theme parks.
The first thing I noticed was the excellent anti-shake lens system. I don't normally shoot without a tripod but the X900 is very forgiving if you do use it hand held.
On the dark rides the pictures did appear a little grainy at times but given the lighting levels it did very well. Outside in the sunlight the pictures are superb.
It also handled the firework shows very well. There was only one aspect that my old Sony had a clear advantage. If shooting cinema presentations (eg O Canada) the difference in frame rate creates some flicker. The Sony handled this perfectly.
Outdoors in bright sunlight the LCD screen is hard to see but you can resort to the viewfinder if necessary.
After using the camcorder for about a week tragedy stuck when small boy with a water canon took excellent aim and soaked the camera.The camera stopped working and frankly I never expected it to work again. I dried it down and let the Florida sunshine dry it out but 36 hours later it was still not working. If I connected the battery a bright red light on the front of the camera came on and stayed on. With nothing to lose I left the battery connected and after perhaps half an hour noticed the red light had gone out. The camera then starting working perfectly again!
So I'm very pleased with this heroic little camera and despite the slight problem with the LCD panel and cinema screens I cannot deny it its full 5 Stars, indeed it deserves a few extra!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Aug 2012 08:36:45 BDT
cm004d8137 says:
Do you have the same problem as me with this model? When filming enough constant footage that it splits the files into 4gig there is a severe drop of frames badly affecting the sound. I film my daughter in a charity show and it split the file after 4gig on later editing the split was right in the middle of a solo and sound and some video frames were lost - ruined the recording. Panasonic refuse to admit there is a problem on sarcastically replying to me saying "it is not a professional camera"

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2012 09:58:02 BDT
The longest single shots I took were about 24 minutes producing a file of about 2.8GB.In the 2 weeks I used the camera in the Florida theme parks there was not a single dropped frame. I think one needs to be aware of any limitations and to work within them.I'm still amazed at what this camera can do at this price point.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2012 10:01:17 BDT
cm004d8137 says:
Thanks Mr. Matthews for your quick reply. I don't feel that filming a charity show should be outside the capabilities of this camcorder. Just for info I used a JVC £250 (HM300EK) to capture the same show from different angles...and you know whats coming don't you... no missed frames or more importantly audio. In this case I managed to splice the audio from this camcorder to my final edit otherwise it would have been a total disaster. All the best.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›