5.0 out of 5 stars Best in its class, 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Bodum 1308 Columbia Tea and Cofee Press stainless steel 1.0 L (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this as a replacement for an inferior brand of insulated cafetiere. The other one (Judge) had a spring above the edge of the wire filter mesh that gave out on first use on plunging. This lovely jug has a silicone rubber ring instead of the spring -flush with the mesh- so that there is a good seal all around the mesh. It works very well -take care not to use too much force. The seal is so good that you could cause pressure damage if too enthusiastic on plunging.

The insulation works fairly well, and it keeps my Saturday morning coffee lake hot for an hour of reading the papers -unlike the glass version I also own and use when it will all get poured quickly. I love coffee, and can easily drink a litre all on my own in a morning. This is perfect for keeping it drinkable.

Another review mentions an air leak after putting it in the dishwasher. I'd advise against putting it in in the first place. I have to say the info leaflet in the box was about glass cafetieres and not this one, so there was no info about dishwashing durability. Wash it by hand -and take care to wash it on its own as the highly polished surface (very beautiful to look at) scratches easily.

Aesthetically this is a graceful and pleasing object -I like it for that as much as its functionality in making coffee well.

I have a feeling that if I look after this, it will look after me.

Highly recommended.

UPDATE APRIL 2011

Tragedy... I carelessly dropped my lovely cafetiere. It actually bounced off the hard kitchen floor and now has a dent just off centre on the front. :- However it still works fine and there are no cracks on seams or air leaks -so this does seem very well made. Glass would certainly not have survived.

Well I now have a limited edition of one -my very own customised "distressed" Bodum cafetiere. Not as distressed as I was, but my penultimate comment in the original review was borne out -it is looking after me (even if I let it down).

Advice -don't bounce your Bodum.

UPDATE OCTOBER 2011

Bodum still going strong and performing as new. It seems durable and reliable. No more dents -I have been very careful!

UPDATE DECEMBER 2011

Bodum continuing stubbornly to defy all predictions of failure and air leaking from users of little faith. No more dents as yet and still looking good, and making superb coffee. Insulating properties not noticeably different from the start. Still very pleased with this cafetiere.

Happy Christmas!

UPDATE JULY 2012

Still going strong and goes on working without air leaks or any problems at all.

Continues to be highly recommended

UPDATE DECEMBER 2012

So here it is, Merry Christmas, everybody's having fun.
And I'm still having coffee from my Bodum as good as the very first cup it made.

Happy Christmas everybody!

UPDATE MARCH 2015

Over four years on and working as well and looking as good as it did when I first got it. Very happy with this purchase.

[Add comment]