5.0 out of 5 stars A touching allegorical tale, 2 May 2006
This review is from: Stoppit And Tidyup [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
This is genius!

I remember it from when I were a lad, and if anything its even better now (although I have also watched it with my girlfriend's 3 year old nephew and he loved it). It runs like a morality play, with Terry Wogan some sort of Jehova figure in the background. I could go on about this for hours, but here are my favourite characters.

-Stoppit is a kind of A.D.H.D blob monster, who is very naughty and is summarily punished when bad. When he is angry and complaining (almost all of the time), Tidyup bounces him on the floor until he is quiet (this is reminiscent of my own childhood experiences with my sibling). Just in case you think that being naughty is cool, Stoppit is shown living in a rubbish dump. Obviously a shell of a man, unable to get work. He reminds me a bit of Cartman down on his luck.

-Tidyup seems to suffer from a form of Tourette's syndrome as he constantly screams at quite innappropriate times. He is the glue that holds the stories together. Despite his difficulties, everyone likes him because he is honest and decent. What a triumph for the human spirit!

-Go-to-bed is the living embodiment of a Monday morning. He is always tired probably because he is partying too hard the night before all the time. But he is never allowed to sleep. In this way we learn that those who over-indulge will never find their rest, or the release that they are looking for. Go-to-bed is, for me, the best but most tragic character.

-Go-and-play is a little scary, and seems to be the Prometheus of the story. He looks like he is older than the rest of the gang, and yet all he does is play with his toys on his rock. And try to start games of football. All the time he wears only a wierd shorts and shoes n' socks ensemble, never a shirt. He has piercing black eyes. He is not the kind of person I would let any kid play with. Which is probably why he's all alone on his rock-hill-thing. He has clearly been set there as a sort of ironic punishment -- he likes to play with people, but has misbehaved, and so is set on his rock WITH ALL THE TOYS IN THE WORLD BUT NO FRIENDS! All it needs is for an eagle to tear at his sides and we have a Greek legend.

-Clean-your-teeth is the rich (£££) character of the bunch. He looks like Elvis Presley would if you were on acid. Since he is always scarily, uncompromisingly happy and owns a swimming pool when his neighbours potter about in their own filth in the dump eating nothing but gherkins, I remain unconvinced he is not a representation of a Colombian drugs lord. Tidyup makes him pay for this crime by smashing up his pool: Good lad!

As an atheist, I have based my entire ethical framework for my life on this cartoon, and it seems to have done some good. Bless the makers of this DVD for reminding me how good things were! It is suitable for kids, and enjoyable for the adults watching with them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Feb 2008 10:35:59 GMT
This is the best review I have ever read hahaha! Made me laugh my ass off.

This cartoon rules.

Edd.

Posted on 30 Aug 2008 08:59:05 BDT
Agree with Mr Haddon! Yes, the best review I have ever read. You are a very talented young man! I hope you write for a living. I laughed all the way through! :)

Posted on 2 Aug 2010 09:24:16 BDT
That is the most beautiful review on Amazon.
I'd never thought of Stoppit & Tidyup as a sort of narrative of society, but youve completely changed my way of thinking. Good job.

Posted on 12 Nov 2011 17:06:43 GMT
My brother and I watched this as kids then just read this comment and cried with laughter, this review should be the description on the DVD as it is so good. I have a head ache from laughing so much

Posted on 11 Jul 2012 23:44:14 BDT
James Hiller says:
Awesome review, and the fact that your surname is almost the same as mine made it even better.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 13:24:36 GMT
G. Hanks says:
Great stuff, really brightened my day.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.9 out of 5 stars (34 customer reviews)

£5.99 £5.21