1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like this very much, 20 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Goonies [DVD] [1985] (DVD)
If there was a rating of zero stars, I would give it zero, no hesitation. A constant stream of screeching with a smattering of poor/smutty jokes, wooden acting, unintelligible dialogue drowned out by a soundtrack that seemed to bear no relation to the plot, a REALLY bad plot line, insincere moralising, etc., etc. Maybe I missed the whole joke and it is meant to be a pile of cr*p. Something like a EuroTrip for kids (which is actually very funny as it is clear that it is supposed to be extremely stupid).
I was watching this with my children and I seriously wanted to enjoy it as the reviews are (for some unfathomable reason) mostly positive, and also because Spielberg had something to do with it, but it got off to a bad start and went downhill from there; when they threatened to liquidise the fat kid's hand I'm afraid that was it for me, but the others persevered almost to the end in the vain hope that it might redeem itself, but no luck there. I was embarrassed to watch this patronising gunk. My seven year-old son thought it stank as well - my five-year-old was probably too young, or else it was all beneath him too. Whatever, next port of call for this garbage is the bin.
There are some truly great 1980s films for kids - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc., etc. - sadly this is not one of them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Aug 2012 21:50:43 BDT
Is it purely coincidence you happen to be reviewing the film a day after it was shown on Channel 5? Of course your children might have difficulty understanding the film and it's nostalgic factors. We're in a new generation with a new wave of unimaginative brainwashing CGI-ridden codswallop, they're not used to the authenticity of 80's works!

Also, how is the plot device bad? It's a humble film, based on a group of kid's who incidently find themselves embarking on a hazardous journey and having to dodge and evade the obstacles they encounter on their perilous quest (If you can call it that). How much self explanatory reasoning can you get?

Besides, it's all very opinionated, you're entitled to submit one-star reviews, so I shant dwell on. Gripe-free zone here.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2012 02:38:46 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2012 23:53:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Aug 2012 00:02:17 BDT
Wasn't aware you were over sea's, pure irony you happened to review this, despite being shown on Sunday afternoon.

I comprehend that the film does contain a, or if not a couple of instances of drug references. However, this doesn't come as a surprise knowing it's a Spielberg film! They're marketed as family films yes, but you'll always get the odd uttered uncalled for swear word, sex reference or inappropriate gesture (considerably by youngsters themselves).
E.T. was a U rated film, and it's pretty self explanatory how the censors chose to upgrade the rating.

I do infact know numerous people who dislike The Goonies and Mr. Spielberg's film making capabilities and style is general.

But imagine being around seven or eight in 1985, it's the grand release of the next family adventure romp, you've seen the preview on television and the special effects and makeup were possibly considered spectacular, albeit being no way on par with E.T., not by a mile off I'm aware!

I'm not an avid fan of CGI as you may have figured, but that doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, the Toy Story films for one!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 20:32:50 GMT
Lone wolfe says:
People who hate The Goonies, are not tobe trusted!

Posted on 7 May 2013 02:11:03 BDT
chiggs58th says:
I'm sorry but I couldn't agree with DRAK more. The then and continued popularity of this truly awful motion picture utterly baffles me. People of my generation and the generation prior have a deep nostalgic love for THE GOONIES that I simply cannot and will not partake of. I first saw THE GOONIES on NTSC VHS when I was 22 (I'm now 48) and all I remember about it is a lot of overlapping dialogue, screaming and shouting, clumsy not very funny pratfalls and being barely able to sit through it. Last week, I saw a DVD copy going very cheap in my local supermarket of note and decided to give it a second chance - perhaps I had been wrong about it the first time? NO! This second was viewing was even more painful than the first. I've seldom fought so hard to force myself not to switch a DVD off midway through. I'm sorry peeps - THE GOONIES stinks to high heaven. It's simply one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I'm talking LEANORD PART 6 bad! Why people have such a deep love for it is completely beyond me.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2013 10:09:07 BDT
Phew - I thought I might have been on my own there :)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2013 09:08:14 BDT
robklyn says:
g a holden you couldn't be more correct
‹ Previous 1 Next ›