4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not perfect...., 3 Dec. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)
I am a mature gamer, and have owned / still own just about every platform since time began. I'm loving the Wii U for what new functionality it brings to the party but I wanted to mention Black Ops2 and how it fares on Nintendo's flagship hardware, specifically compared to Xbox and it's Live! platform.

The truth is, I'm a seasoned player who runs and guns, with no regard for KD or personal stats; I play the objective in a very gung-ho fashion. And that, in itself is the biggest flaw with this game if you want to play online. Last night, at 9pm CET, I booted this game for the first time and went straight into multiplayer. There were only players in the lobby for team deathmatch, free for all & domination. As I like to play objectives, I went for domination. There were a total of - drum roll please - 657 people playing online in this variant. In total, there were just under 2000 people playing online!!

This gives you some difficulties. First up, I would have played bootcamp to rank up to level 10 to start building classes before jumping straight in. No chance. Couldn't get a lobby going and waited around 10 minutes to try it! So, I went domination and did manage to get a game on Express, where everyone was quickscoping down the track and not trying to cap flags. Oh dear.

I will, personally, keep on with Xbox Live! until more people have got the game and get going with it. I suspect this dynamic will take some time as this game isn't tailored to a core Nintendo demographic audience. I was going to rate the game with three stars, but that would be unfair as the lack of gamers isn't the games fault. If you are getting the console, I would get this - providing you are over 18, obviously....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Dec 2012 14:32:35 GMT
Under 300 online when I played. I still got into a lobby quickly and it ran a lot better in terms of lag than I usually find on other formats, but, yeah, it's TDM or nothing on Wii U.

While I'd like a bit of Kill Comfirmed or Domination, as things stand it's better if the tiny community sticks to one mode.

Activision needs to do a double XP weekend. I love the Pro Controller so if this picks up numbers, I'd be happy to make it my BO2 home.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 14:14:59 GMT
J. Potter says:
"Good but not perfect." Mate, this review only contained a tiny section that actually focussed on how good the game is. People don't care about the number of online players - that's a variable.

Just delete your review and replace it with "The game moves fine with good frame rates and no clipping etc. and should hold up well longer term. The gamepad works okay and seemed to have no bearing on game speed etc. with the display turned on. Next purchase will be the Pro controller, though, to make it a bit more familiar for me."

You need to understand that this is a brand new console - after Christmas things will pick up, due to the Wii U's late release.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 23:29:28 GMT
okeyblokey says:
John, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion. And so am I. Rather than me delete any of my review, surely the Amazon readership would be better served by you and others giving your opinion rather than criticise mine?

I mainly play online and it is this element of the game I feel lacking. Why would I give it five stars if I have what I feel to be a justifiable problem with it? Irrespective of it being at launch or otherwise? Since I wrote the review, I have barely been back to the game and played Mario U

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 14:23:12 GMT
Megamma says:
I find the info about the multiplayer pretty important since it's such a huge aspect of the game. I've never played a Call of Duty game before but I quite fancy getting this for the Wii U. I guess even with the low number of players you mentioned, I'll still be able to find a couple of matches for a noob like myself - which is quite a relief! Here's hoping the numbers increase a bit though.

Posted on 27 Dec 2012 11:43:29 GMT
Tetlee says:
I agree, the review is fine as it stands IMO, the online aspect is important when it comes to games like CoD as while I'm not really a CoD player myself, plenty of my friends are and they seem to prioritize mutiplayer over campaign every time with CoD.
I have this game on WiiU but been too busy playing ZombiU to start on it yet, probably a bit late to start playing this online now everyone will be leveled up and know every corner of the map so probably steer clear.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 17:31:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Dec 2012 17:35:16 GMT
E. Delaney says:
your review is fair, at the moment the lack of players online and the lack of modes is an issue as COD is all about the online aspect its the games
biggest selling point, i dont think you should change your review at all as what you have said is perfectly valid and it helps that i actually agree with you lol no doubt it will pick up blokey, i own the 360 and ps3 aswell as every other console under the sun, and the wii U is a breath of fresh-air, things can only get better :) and the wii U online community will grow as more people buy the console..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›