4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value tablet, 1 Feb 2012
This review is from: Time2 BRAND NEW MC701A 7" INCH TABLET PC GOOGLE CAPACITIVE TOUCH SCREEN ANDROID 2.3 GINGERBREAD 8GB WIFI 3G MID RRP 199.99 +*** ROYAL MAIL 1ST CLASS TRACKED DELIVERY!!!***
I bought this tablet for two reasons. Firstly, I bought my wife a netbook last year, which she wanted for internet, skype and email. Trouble is the netbook had Windows 7, which seems to incessantly produce 'update me' messages. She's not very technical so would leave it until I got home to clear these messages. So to overcome that I bought this tablet and it's excellent. I downloaded Firefox which enables bookmarks to be added as icons on the desktop. So now she just touches the icon for the website she wants. Skype was downloaded without a problem. Email was an issue, because the email app that comes with the tablet doesn't seem to like Yahoo email addresses. I downloaded the Yahoo email app, but that doesn't work either. There is a general Yahoo app though which does work although you don't get put straight through to mail, and if you want to view emails with more than simple text, you have to go to a URL imbedded into the email. Not ideal but it does work.

The second objective was to have an MP3 player that I could plug into my stereo. I've got a large record collection and it's sometimes a pain trying to find a specific album, so digitising my collection and using an MP3 player makes a lot of sense. I tried using my Android mobile phone but for some reason plays one track and then stops (this is well documented on the internet as an Android issue but no solution). I then bought a MP3 player which has a battery that expires after about 2 tracks. So I hoped this tablet would do the trick. I've downloaded Winamp and it works perfectly. The only thing is that you need to simply copy the files using Windows Explorer into the Music folder. I tried using iTunes but each album then appeared twice in the album list(???).

I've downloaded a few other apps and games and am very happy with the product, so why only 4 stars? Basically, the manual is rubbish and it was some time before I worked out how to connect the tablet to my laptop to download, because the manual tells you to use an option that doesn't exist. So initially I was having to remove the micro SD card, put it into an adapter and put that into the SD slot on my PC. In fact from the pictures in the manual, it's a manual for an entirely different tablet and/or a different version of Android. If anyone needs to know, when you connect, a USB icon appears at the bottom of the screen. You need to touch that icon to establish the connection with the PC.

So overall an excellent piece of kit let down by all but useless documentation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Feb 2012 14:28:06 GMT
Hi there, I wanted to buy this for my daughter (in fact I saw a deal for this for 99 including an 8gb memory card and I listened to my daughter and didn't buy it - she was thinking of an IPAD! I regret now!), I just wanted to ask how does the tablet look in real life? Is it basic, decent enough or stylish? What is the screen like? Average or vibrant? Thanks!

Posted on 5 Mar 2012 23:21:08 GMT
Pinkhandbag says:
I have recently bought this tablet and also found the booklet unhelpful.
Unfortunately I have not been able to connect to wifi and don't know if it's me doing something wrong or if my tablet is faulty.
Customer service at Time2 is brilliant. If I can't connect shortly I'll be returning this, however it hasn't put me off and I look forward to a replacement unless someone can explain to me how I can connect to wifi?!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2012 12:43:42 GMT
O. Clay says:
Hi there, could anyone please tell me if the memory card slot is for an SD card or a micro SD card? I've one of these on order and just need to buy some extra memory.

Many thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2012 20:24:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Mar 2012 20:26:48 GMT
Pinkhandbag says:
You need a micro SD card. I own this tablet and bought a 16GB card which is just right.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2012 20:31:27 GMT
O. Clay says:
Brilliant, thank you very much for the reply. Will order one now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›