4.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 18 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
I was looking forward to hearing this album. I wanted to play it to my friends and laugh "at" the actor turned singer wannabee. And to a certain extent I did. The sheer pretentiousness of it all. The knowledge that anyone with half a brain (singing voice not necessarily required) could have recorded this album. But I doubt there are few people who could do it like Will.
After five minutes of sniggering and pouring ridicule at the stereo I found myself holding my breath, waiting for the next slab of absolute cheese. As the Amazon Review says, there's a fine line between Genius and Idiocy, and I've ended up reassessing which side of the line Mr Shatner falls on.
I think part of it is the genuine honesty with which he attacks each song. He doesn't try to warble along, but instead recites the lines like poetry. After two or three tracks the style ceases to sound ridiculous and becomes oddly captivating.
My favourites have to be "You'll Have Time" and "I Can't Get Behind That", the former being a reminder that we'll all be eventually pushing up the daisies, the latter an ode to pet hates and rebellion against modern convention. "I am who I am and I don't care" being a rough stab at WM's motto.
The only low point in the album for me was the song about him discovering his wife's body. I'm sure he could argue that this was a deep personal experience for him, but I can't help but think it was still a little in poor taste.
So when would be the best time to play this album? If you've come home from work, had a bad day, and think everyone takes life too seriously then throw this on. I think it puts a lot of the stupid stuff in perspective and reminds you why you chase the important things.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]