5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Windows, with a couple of reservations, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: EC TECHNOLOGY® Super Slim Mini Bluetooth 3.0 Wireless Keyboard for iPad 2 3 4 Mini 1 2, iPad Air, iPhone 5S 5C 5, iPhone 4S 4, PC, Notebook, Smartphone with Android 3.0 above, Windows(with bluetooth) - Black (Electronics)
I wanted a very small keyboard for use with a second computer on my desk. Although this keyboard (I have the "Bluetooth 3.0 Wireless Keyboard" version) is primarily designed for use with Apple computers, it works pretty well on my Windows 7 PC. I bought a separate (tiny) USB Bluetooth dongle because my PC didn't have built-in Bluetooth.

The great thing about this keyboard is that it takes up next to no space on my desk, but it still has large enough keys for me to type without struggling. It takes 2 x AAA batteries, which seem to last quite a few weeks. And there's no cable to get tangled up. Together with a miniature second-hand Dell Bluetooth mouse, I have everything I need to operate my PC with minimum clutter.

There are a couple of issues. First, it's a US keyboard layout: <SHIFT>-2 shows the "at" symbol, but my UK keyboard mapping gives me double-quotes; there are a few other mis-mappings like this, so it wouldn't be brilliant for programming. Secondly, there is no Escape key as you would expect on a PC keyboard - this isn't normally a problem, but it might be for some applications. Where the Escape key would be there's a Home key - this opens your browser on the home page (or returns you there). The "fn" key in the bottom left corner doesn't do anything. However, the Control, Alt/Option and Command keys work, respectively, as the Ctrl, Alt and Windows keys. There is also a full complement of function keys.

Pairing is very easy - insert the batteries, turn on and hold in the pairing button, which makes the keyboard visible to your computer. Select the keyboard from your computer, and type in on the keyboard the pairing "password" that appears on your PC screen and press Enter. You do need a wired keyboard to get to the point you can start using the wireless one, of course.

I have also tried using the keyboard on my Kindle Fire HD - it works fine, but the combination of touch screen and physical keyboard feels a bit weird to me.

So this keyboard - while not perfect for a PC - does what I want, which is (a) to work, and (b) to be extremely discreet on my desk, with no trailing wires.

Note: I was provided with one of these keyboards by EC Technology for review purposes.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]