5.0 out of 5 stars What are you waiting for?, 16 Jan 2009
This review is from: 7lbs in 7 Days Super Juice Diet (Paperback)
I was not overweight when I decided to try this detox plan, but I was at the upper end of what is classed as a "normal" BMI. I was feeling sluggish, had a bloated stomach and was not eating the healthiest of foods.

So one Saturday back in September 2008 I began the programme. I will be honest & say that I didn't like all of the juices, especially the Super Juice which contains avocado & wheatgrass, neither of which taste good to me. My tip is to hold your nose while drinking it as this will block off most of the taste and smell (it's quite strong) then have a slice of orange or a chewing gum ready to put in your mouth afterwards to really kill off the aftertaste.

The other juices are not as bad (the ones without avocado/wheatgrass), and the Passion 4 Juice Master is gorgeous, by far the tastiest drink on the menu. Oh the Hot 'n' Spicy is fab as well, as a bedtime drink.

On the 2nd day I felt like giving up. I felt hungry, had a headache & didn't think I'd be able to keep drinking the Super Juice (it features heavily on the programme, twice most days). But I decided to keep going (possibly because I had told quite a few people that I was doing it & knew they would ask me how it went at the end of the week).

I am so glad that I did. I lost 5lbs in 7 days (I know the book says 7 but I didn't do any of the exercise recommended on the plan). My stomach went from muffin-top to flat in one week! My jeans which were fitted were falling off me, I could actually take them off without opening them!

What's more, I lost even more weight AFTER doing the 7-day plan. A total of 8lbs. And I have had no problem keeping it off, which has amazed me. My first meal after the 7-day plan was Gillian McKeith's Hearty Lentil Stew (see her website for the recipe). I highly recommend this dish - it's easy to make, quick to cook (35 mins) & you can make a large pot of it & keep it in the fridge & heat it up as required. It's yummy & filling & very healthy. Have it with chicken as an evening meal. I credit this dish with helping me to keep the weight off, because it's true what Jason Vale says - if you eat good healthy nutritious food, you will not be hungry whereas if you eat rubbish, you may feel sick/full for a while but soon enough you will feel hungry again because you have not actually fed your body.

Another tip I will share with you is a yummy smoothie which I make on Saturday & Sunday mornings (because I have more time then). Strawberries, blueberries, Rachel's Organic Lowfat Vanilla Yogurt, 4-5 large spoons of muesli, 1 teaspoon of spirulina & the juice of 1 apple/quarter of a pineapple. This will keep you full for hours. I rate spirulina very highly, it's great for preventing snacking. Weekend is the time when you might feel like being less disciplined, but this smoothie will help.

If you don't already have a juicer, get a Philips one, the 7-day book is free with some of the models. The juicer is an investment so well worth the money. The supplements will last ages so even though you have to splash out first time you do it, you will be able to use them the next time you do it, and probably the time after that again. He only recommends doing it once per season. The only one I continued to use after the 7-day plan was spirulina.

Well I have waffled on for long enough. To sum up - it's only 7 days, accept that you may struggle & feel like giving up especially the first few days, accept that some of the juices do not taste great, but do it because you will be glad you did. The feeling of elation & achievement when you stand on the scales on the morning of day 8 will make it all worthwhile. It kills cravings for junk food & will set you on the path to lose even more weight and KEEP IT OFF! Back in September I said I would not do this programme again (that's how I felt on day 2) but guess what - I am doing it again starting on Sunday. I'm not doing it to lose weight this time (because I haven't gained any since last time), it's more of an after Christmas cleanse.

So, what are you waiting for?

[Add comment]