2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid if you value sleep, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Maximuscle Promax Lean Weight Loss and Definition Shake Powder Chocolate--1200g (packaging may vary) (Personal Care)
Well it's currently 5.40am and I have been lying in bed trying to sleep for the best part of 6 hours now. This is not the first time this has happened as a result of this caffeine pumped shake. when it happened last time I thought it was because it took the shake late in the day (after a work out, around 9pm) so in an attempt to learn from my mistake, I decided to take it at 3.30pm today. This was approximately one hour before my work out - I felt that the cocaine-esque effects of the shake would provide me with a boost during my training session. Which I suppose it did to some extent.

However, whilst my body and mind are currently fatigued from the gym and a rather long day, my eyes refuse to close, also any minor movement whilst under my duvet causes my body to become engulfed in a caffeine/green tea inferno which turns the reality of sleep into a distant dream....
Putting my personal side effects to one side, I don't feel this shake has been a terribly beneficial addition to my life. It's one of, if not the most expensive of its kind and whilst the flavour isn't bad - for the price its certainly not the tastiest (phd being my preferred choice). I also haven't found the Promax shake to delay hunger cravings, maybe for half an hour to and hour- but I suppose I'd get the same result from a pint of milk.

Sure its got high protein, low carb and weight reducing ingredients like green tea extract and L-carnitine, but as do a lot of other supplements- that being said what's to say that these ingredients aren't just a big fat placebo? Is having low carbs necessarily a good thing? Aren't carbs important for muscle development and regeneration and after a heavy work out, in order to maximise gains it's vital that your body absorbs a good mix of carbs and protein? Also the phrase "fat is burned in a carbohydrate flame" springs to mind. Why is society turning carbs into the bad guy? If you're exercising enough then lots of carbs shouldn't be a problem - if anything they're beneficial. If you're not exercising enough then why consider buying a shake that will only have an effect when taken in tandem with a vigorous exercise regime?(HA!)
Anyway, rant over.
I won't be getting this again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 May 2014 11:03:23 BDT
Julybee says:
Famous for its energy-giving properties. You didn't read the pack or the very full description on the page before you bought it? Says several times contains caffeine, green tea and guarana. Definitely not to be had before bed-time if you're sensitive to caffeine, which it sounds like you might be. It doesn't have that effect on me.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2014 00:52:03 BDT
Murray Brown says:
My point being I didn't have it before bedtime- my review states that I took it at 3.30pm. I don't have the same sleeping problem when I drink coffee or green tea at later times in the day i.e. after dinner around 7.30pm or if I have an energy juice during a late night work out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›