1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
Inexpensive wifi gigabit router, easy to set up, does the job,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This TD-W8970 wifi Gigabit router with ADSL2+ (ie PPPoA) replaces a trusty old non-wifi DG834v4 which was working fine but only capable of 100/10 Ethernet. I needed more speed (Gigabit 1000/100/10) and also to future-proof my router for when BT gives me a VDSL2 Infinity modem with its PPPoE outlet. The W8970 has one of the four Gigabit LAN ports optionally configurable for the PPPoE WAN so as to also be able to accept the VDSL2 modem.
The set-up is easy if you know what all the acronyms mean, but if you don't then it is possible to make mistakes. And I had been spoiled ten years ago by the DG834 which was much easier and had all the set-up pages accompanied on-screen in the browser down the right hand side by a full explanation of all that was relevant to the task in hand. Displaying the W8970 user manual page alongside the browser logged into the router helped, but keeping track between them and in context considerably slowed down configuration.
I am still connected to old BT Broadband and here the settings for ADSL2+ are; Network = PPPoA, VPI = 0, VCI = 38, VC based, and DSL = Auto multi-mode. And of course one needs a login name and password for the account.
And with that in the Quick Set-up one can be connected. I have also set Static IP addresses for all my network devices, turned ON all the firewalls (default is Off), let the DHCP search between 2 and 254, and set the Admin passwords for the router, and also the wifi WPA password even though I have also now turned off the wifi (switch on the back of the router next to the Ethernet sockets).
My TP-Link Network Switches accept that the router is Gigabit, and the throughput seems to be fast enough. However most of my devices cannot sustain 1000Mbits/s from or to the hard-drives even if the connection is that fast. Also I had to replace one of the CAT5 cables as it refused to run faster than about 180Mbits/s - a longer but temporary 50metre CAT5 patch lead managed well over 500Mbits/s on a big file transfer.
I also updated the firmware, which wiped all the settings, but fortunately I had already backed them up and a restore put them in place again.
It gets quite warm, and the cool-running PSU and router together take from the mains about three watts with wifi Off and about four watts with wifi On. The slower older non-wifi DG834 and its power supply also took about three watts in total.
I tested the wifi with my laptop while setting up, just to check the security and the password system, and discovered I could be sitting fifty feet away in the shade of a tree in the garden, or just outside in the street in my car, and still transfer at the full speed of the USB port I was using for the wifi dongle. From the tree (but not the car) the laptop also managed to 'share' from the DNLA media devices on the LANs of three different neighbour's BT hubs left wide open and insecure!
The ADSL2+ Broadband speed is now up to 4.5Mb/s compared with the old DG834 at 3.3Mb/s, which means we can watch BBC iPlayer on HD (must be over 3.5Mb/s) instead of SD, so the rest of the household is happy too.