1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star rating for the blu ray product and not the actual series, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Deadman Wonderland The Complete Series Collection [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I'd heard about this series some time ago from my brother. I managed to watch some of the episodes online, but as they were censored I stopped watching and thought I'd wait to get it over here in the UK. That said, I was incredibly excited when I learned Manag were releasing this over here on Blu-Ray. So much so I got it as soon as I could. I have to admit I was incredibly disappointed when I found that the exact same scenes were censored to what I'd seen previously online. What's more, when I put the Japanese soundtrack on, I found that swearing was bleep'd out.

All in all I think that Manga UK have been very sloppy and lazy with this product. I say this regarding the violence, where there are instances of incredible gore from the likes of Shiguri: Blood Frenzy, even with films such as Akira, and MD Geist. That said, the fact nothing has been done by Manga UK about the censoring is atrocious. Insult to injury, they've been lazy enough to leave the bleeps in the Japanese soundtrack but not in the English track, which in my eyes was a crafty way of bumping up the certification, because the violence they did show could only have garnered a 15 certification.

Onto the series itself, the story is solid and challenging, this thrusts the protagonist- Ganta- into witnessing the death of his closest friends, then being wrongly tried for their murder. At the trial Ganta's own lawyer deceives him, forcing a life sentence verdict and imprisonment in Deadman Wonderland- a corperate own prison funded by a themeland style participation by the general public. Life, at this point for the protagonist, becomes a desperate battle. Ganta strives with mororse, forlorn wounds, finding little reason for going on now he has been decieved, betrayed and abandoned by everyone. Slowly, he realises that he wants to live on, even if he is imprisoned, and he learns that perhaps the world isn't as devoid of love and tenderness, when he befriends a young girl at Deadman Wonderland. The rest of the premise sees intrigue unfold, as a devestating event from the past has left certain people with special abilities to use their own blood as tools of murder. It is these people that Deadman Wonderland uses to battle against one another and issue enormous bets from the faceless rich and powerful. Ganta carries such a power, this throws him into the bloody ring, his own intentions spiraling out of control, as he realises the real killer of his friends has the same ability and is also at the prison.

I was really looking forward to seeing all of this series, as the OVA was included with the Blu Ray I was especially excited. Unfortunately, Manga ruined this for me. So now I'm going to have to look else where to get an uncensored version.

If you don't mind the censoring then I highly recommend this series. The story is intense, but if you don't mind viewing warped situations, this series is great.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jan 2014 11:21:48 GMT
C Dickinson says:
The censoring is present on all versions that have been released, in all territories. Manga UK wouldn't have had the option to get an uncensored version of the Japanese dub - it doesn't exist.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2014 20:26:33 GMT
solous says:
To be honest I didn't realise that, it's very disappointing that there's no uncensored version out there, especially when you consider some of the violent animes that are out there. Thanks for the update.

Posted on 25 Sep 2014 11:59:12 BDT
Kirsty lyle says:
Yes I'm disappointed about censored parts. But overall a good series. I cannot find the OVA on disk three. It's not listed anywhere. I cannot find it in episode selection or bonus features. I was looking forward to seeing OVA.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2014 06:49:51 BDT
solous says:
Don't get me wrong, overall I think it's a great series with an interesting story, that's why I was so heavily disappointed, as soon as I realised it was censored I stopped watching any more and sold it on. I didn't realise there was an OVA, I hope one day I can watch it unedited.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2014 13:44:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2014 13:44:31 GMT
I watched an episode on the Play Station store and as far as I can tell it wasn't censored. The first episode showed a slew of corpses and a decapitated head, it mentioned a woman's breast size and a man's eyes getting (More or less) blown out by the collar all prisoners wear. And as far as I can remember it also had some swearing in it.

I don't think the version I watched was censored.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›