5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product - Novice or Experienced User - Buy It!, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Corel VideoStudio Pro X6 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Over the years I have bought many programs from Ulead - which then became part of Corel. I think my first video editing program was Ulead 8. We are now on to Corel VideoStudio X6 - some 8 versions later. I have to say I have had my ups and down with them. X3 was particularly a very bad program...full of bugs and so slow, it almost made editing a video a disaster...so time consuming...error after error. I eventually went back to X2 then on to X4. I did not bother with X5 but having recently upgraded to Windows 8, I was forced to upgrade as X4 was no longer compatible with Windows 7.

I have to say that I am now happy with VideoStudio X6 as opposed to VideoStudio X6 Pro. The primary difference between the two versions is that on the "Pro" editions, you tend to get more transitions, effects etc. I am someone who does this as a hobby for family videos and personally, these additional effects, transitions do not warrant an extra £20 or so. I simply do not use them. I have learned the hard way as in the past I have tended towards the "Pro" editions at additional cost.

X6 is an improved program with several nice additions over previous versions such as the motion tracking feature. The hours I have spent trying to line up a bubble of speech on a moving target!!! This makes the job much easier. The program itself is very fast. Having said that I do have Windows 8 (far quicker at processing than Windows 7), a core i7 processer and 8GB ram.

Installation is easy and takes around 8/10 mins. Having used the program in one form or another for years, I do now find the program easy to use. Essentially there are three steps, import, edit and share. The program is intuitive but you still have to understand a little around what you are doing. There are some great free video tutorials built in to the program, so if you have never done this before, these are very useful. Unlike all previous versions, there is no paper user guide. I do find this disappointing as albeit there are tutorials and PDFs on the internet, I do like the paper versions so you can browse at your leisure. I guess as I have been using the program for so long, this is not essential. I was up and running in no time. You can import from a number of sources, video, DVD, TV, iPad, iPhone and so on. Once you have imported the footage, you move on to the editing suite where you have a whole array of tools you can use. Finally you share your masterpiece through DVD, email, flickr, and so on. I would like to see a feature where you could simply import the video and the program then literally puts this all together. I think we had that on VideoStudio X2 and albeit there are some "instant projects", work is still involved in putting this altogether. This could be simplified somewhat. One final point is that there are free templates etc that you can download within the program, albeit they take a good hr to download! Not sure why Corel could not put these on the DVD disc as it would be much easier to copy from disc to PC rather than download each item individually.

Overall, whether you are a first timer or experienced video editor, I think this program has sufficient capabilities and tools to meet your needs. Highly recommended.

P.s I pre ordered this through Amazon for £41.98, a day later it was £39.99 and a day later £56.14? No idea way but this seems strange. Thankfully I ordered when I did. I still think £56.14 is a fair price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Jun 2013 10:06:24 BDT
Does it have an auto edit feature that you can later fine tune? I would like it to do an auto edit and then add/delete clips in afterwards etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2013 18:44:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jun 2013 18:45:05 BDT
AlexKrycek says:
Hi Philip. I am afraid to say that the software does not have a auto edit feature (not one that I have found or seen). To be honest, I have not seen this feature on the software since I was using something like Corel VideoStudio 9 or similar - before it morphed to X1, X2 etc. I tend to throw my clips on to the timeline and work on it from there.

Hope this answers your question. Regards.

Posted on 21 Feb 2014 12:36:00 GMT
Rookie says:
Tell me Alex, I have Corel Video Studio Pro X4. I would be tempted to upgrade (probably through a boxed version since I'd get the DVD if anything went pear shaped in future and I lost the download version), but they (Corel) don't exactly tell you what that involves. Do you have to uninstall the version you have (Video Studio pro x4 in my case) before installing x6 or if you just inserted the X6 DVD, does it all 'knit together' and if you have to uninstall one before getting another (x4 to x6), is there somewhere to tell you how you go about saving all your video till the new one is in. Rooky!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2014 22:24:52 GMT
AlexKrycek says:
Hi Rookie

Firstly I would agree with you in that the boxed DVD version is better than the download. In relation to upgrading I have always found that a total unistall of the current version is preferable to installing the new software over the old. However, not withstanding I have done this in the past with no issues.

In relation to your videos, which ever way you decide to upgrade you will not lose your videos. The reason being is that your videos will be stored on a seperate part of your computer with Video studio having a link to them. One you upgrade you simply import and link all your videos back.

Finally I would say that I have been very impressed with X6. It's been a pleasure to use.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014 11:16:14 GMT
Rookie says:
Thanks Alex for that. You never know what's the correct procedure because I sometimes don't think Corel know themselves half the time! For instance, I had to tell them that their "Discovery Center" to tutorials and tips wouldn't accept the suffix "co.uk"!!! Someone has just emailed me from America to thank me for noticing!!!
A product support specialist (as she calls herself) from Corel told me and I quote, "If your VideoStudio files are in .vsp format, it is then best to keep X4 installed until you were able to import the projects in version X6 just to be sure that all the media clips used in version X4 video project will be imported properly in X6."

I think from that angle (her angle), the projects I have already done and put onto a DVD, are certainly in ".vsp format" and are stored in "My Projects" of the "Corel Video Studio folder". So I would think when I uninstall my Pro X4, that Corel Video Studio>My Project (folder) will be removed. I do keep the original movie clips in a different folder - that is in the raw state before making a Corel Project with them so I'd still have the videos but not the Projects - would need to create them again. Not quite sure if I saved these ".vsp" format projects to a external hard drive then after installing X6 (and uninstalling X4 of course), try and put them back into the newer version. Personally, I think it's best to get shot of old programs and be nice a clean and tidy before bunging in a new one/newer one. Apparently, they "stand alone" so it's O.K. to install the X6 and leave the X4 in but then that takes up disc space. Think you need a coin to toss for this business!!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (39 customer reviews)

£59.99 £34.90