5.0 out of 5 stars cool and convincing, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Not In Your Lifetime: The Assassination of JFK (Paperback)
An admirable study of the assassination and its background. Summers' work is characterized by restraint and an academic scepticism. As an investigation, the book is very well researched and well written, and it proceeds with a convincing logic.

Summers has an excellent historical method, seen for example in his clear and objective examination of the evidence on how Jack Ruby managed to get in the right place, at the right time, for Oswald's transfer through police headquarters.

Evidence is given the space to speak for itself. It becomes clear that it is not the author's intention to grind axes for particular angles on this mystery -or to pin the reader to one point of view. Here the author's task is to raise questions based on the available evidence. Though he points the way, he allows the reader to form his own opinions.

In other books, details about Oswald's background and about probable Mafia intrigues can be confusing. These questions naturally remain complicated but here for the first time I found Oswald's strange story made sense. Fluent, gripping -and possibly the best in its field.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2013 19:35:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Oct 2013 07:05:16 BDT
Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2013 10:14:52 BDT
Have you read the original version? I am interested to know how much new material is in Tony's book?

I agree his book is one of the best on the JFK case. Some of his arguments have been debunked however - for example:-

You can walk from Oswalds rooming house to the scene of the Tippit shooting in ten minutes.
You can get from the 6th floor window to the second floor lunchroom in less than 50 seconds.

I did hear that Tony now had doubts that there was a conspiracy - I am not sure how true that is.

One of the very best books on the JFK case is "The Kennedy Assassination" by Peter Knight - 2008 around 200 pages. Rather neutral.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2013 15:49:31 BDT
Thanks for your interesting comments Patrick. (I didn't read the original edition of the book.)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2013 18:06:14 GMT
Clariana says:
I did, there is, unfortunately, not that much new. I did a kindle search for dates from 2000 onward so this is a rough impression. However as a thorough, balanced narrative of the Kennedy assassination it is still a valuable contribution to existing research in the area.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2013 18:20:44 GMT
Does not surprise me there is not much new - I am finding little new as well in the latest books to come out - I've got about 10 or so in the last few weeks. Waste of money really!

The new Jim DiEugenio book is good though - however I dont agree with his very pro conspiracy stance, but he writes well.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2013 15:15:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Nov 2013 15:18:37 GMT
Karafan says:
Glad to hear you're still ploughing through books on the case, Patrick, as am I!

Any other recent recommendations? Have you read the Corsi? I read that Shenon's is an apology for the WC. As is Howard P Willens' "History will prove us right".

Richard

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2013 16:26:11 GMT
Hi Lee,

I got the Corsi and Shenon books yesterday from Amazon - just had a glance so far!

I fellow JFK buff and all round highly knowledgeable fellow and IMHO a damn good judge of books on this case just sent me this list:-

I tell you - I will be bankrupt this year - we are being overwhelmed with new publications - I had anticipated a fair few but its getting crazy! Cheers, Patrick

Allen Childs-"We Were There" (oral history of the Parkland doctors)
Dallas Morning News- "JFK Assassination: Reporters Notes"
Hugh Aynesworth- "November 22, 1963: Eyewitness to History" (essentially a revised edition of 'Breaking the News' without the wonderful pictures in the first version)
Edward Epstein- "The JFK Assassination Diary"
Bill Minutaglio and Steven Davis "Dallas 1963"
Lamar Waldron - "The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination" (a condensed version of Waldron's two books on the JFK case and his book on Watergate. which comes in handy-his previous works were so difficult to read from all the acronym soup and details, and were so frustratingly organized and poorly written that I gave up. So having it streamlined a bit will make it easier to get through. I still find his C-Day/Mafia angle unconvincing, but some of his details on the Cuba Project are interesting)
Howard Willens- "History Will Prove Us Right"
Flip de Mey "Cold Case Kennedy"
LIFE Magazine "The Day Kennedy Died"
Peter Savodnik "The Interloper: Lee Harvey Oswald in the Soviet Union"
Robert Dallek "Camelot's Court: Inside the Kennedy White House" (focuses on Kennedy, his advisors, and foreign policy-might be a nice corrective to some of Douglass's mythology)
Larry Sabato- "The Kennedy Half Century"
Steven Gillon -"Lee Harvey Oswald: 48 Hours to Live" (companion to the forthcoming History special)
Philip Shenon- "A Cruel & Shocking Act"

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2013 16:38:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Nov 2013 16:39:33 GMT
Karafan says:
Thanks for these Patrick - Waldron I tend to avoid as I find his theorising somewhat wild and unsubstantiated; Willens I have just ordered (though I am no supporter of the WC, it will be doubtless interesting as an insider's view in developing a more rounded outlook); de Mey is en route as is Jerry Kroth's. I shall look into the others.

Found these books an interesting read, by the way, though not strictly assassination-related In His Steps: Lyndon Johnson and the Kennedy Mystique
JFK's Last Hundred Days: An Intimate Portrait of a Great President

Good to see the Weisberg books now out cheaply, ditto Deep Politics II. I was very fortunate to be able to pick up Penn Jones' "Forgive my Grief" volumes I & 2 on an auction site.

Best as ever,
Richard

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2013 18:30:10 GMT
Hi Richard, (sorry I called you Lee earlier!)....

Yes Waldren should work for Disney.....

Thanks for the recommendations. Wow - Penn Jones ....I dont have his books - that is a gap in my collection that I would like to fill.

Have you seen the movie Parkland yet?

Cheers, Patrick