5.0 out of 5 stars Read this and save your life, too., 3 Oct 2011
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Hardcover)
I wasn't lucky enough to have a curious, clever, caring doctor like Dr Davis. My massive intolerance to wheat, you would think obvious from my extreme symptoms, went unrecognised and untreated for fifty years. By that time I had been following medically-prescribed, low-calorie, low- fat diets for most of my life. These were all based on wheat products - wholegrain bread and pasta - and completely and efficiently destroyed my health and my life. I became massively overweight, having been slender and attractive in my youth, and despite starving myself for protracted periods. I could not walk upright because of ataxia. I could barely breathe because of asthma. I could barely see. I couldn't focus my mind, despite previously having been a sharp-witted live broadcaster. I began to feel as if I were being possessed. I cried all day, for no reason. I suspected everyone of intending me harm, and wouldn't go out. I developed nerve damage, and often could not feel my legs or hands. My bloated stomach was so large that once, when I attended a POST-natal appointment, the nurses were asking me when my baby was due! I was so weak that I couldn't hold my newborn baby. In fact I couldn't hold my arms up long enough to wash my hair, and became dependent on carers. I developed tinnitus so loud that it could drown out the noise of overhead aircraft at an airport (and which, sadly, is still with me).

I underwent many painful and pointless investigations, to try to find out what was wrong with me. My surgeons were as ignorant as my GPs. One took my appendix out, because he couldn't think what else to do. During one particularly horrific hospital stay, I remember a young doctor's standing at the foot of my bed, begging me to think what could be wrong with me, because it looked as if I might die. I was suffering from a massive peritonitis-like infection, an infection so bad that they simply sewed me up and said there was nothing more they could do. They didn't dare operate for fear of spreading it about. Imagine how frightening that was, and how heartbroken it made my desperate husband. Nothing made any difference. I was sent home to my fate. I would like to add here that on each occasion I visited either a doctor or hospital, it was either subtly or overtly expressed that I was fat, so therefore had been the architect of my own misfortune. By this time my husband was having to make all my meals, so he knew exactly how little I had been eating, and how "healthy" was my food. It made no difference. The doctors took even less interest in me than before, because they assumed I spent all my days sitting on a sofa eating sweets. Like I say - they were no Dr. Davis!

Because we had no other choice, we turned to the internet to try and save my life. We Googled all my symptoms, and quickly began to suspect that this was something to do with autoimmunity. Within about an hour we had found coeliac disease, and knew this was it. We spent a week researching, before approaching a doctor. We knew we would need real proof in order to be taken seriously. I went armed with papers from The Lancet, and The New England Journal of Medicine, and research from John Hopkins University. I was determined not to insult their intelligence, even though doctors had done that to me for the whole of my life. At that point I had a blood test, which was positive, followed by a biopsy - again positive. I had found my own disease, and I had saved my own life. The results, from a leading specialist, were met with sarcasm and disbelief. Even in the face of expert medical proof, my doctors could not accept that mere bread had been killing me. That is the crux of the problem today. Doctors have gotten into the way of dispensing pointless drugs, rather than their time and powers of deduction. I commend Dr Davis for wanting to reverse this trend.

For the avoidance of all doubt, here it is. Eating wheat almost killed me. It cost me my appendix, an ovary and one kidney. It cost me my childhood to illness, and more than one lucrative job. I am, thankfully, and only just, living proof that wheat is a devastating poison. The food pyramid is on its head, and Dr Davis is being vilified for pointing this out. I love this book. I admire his courage in spreading the message. He is not alone. He finds himself facing up to the baying, illogical, unscientific wheat growers and food processing companies and wrong-headed doctors as did Robert Atkins in the past, and as does Gary Taubes now. There is a lot of money in wheat, so it's going to be quite a fight to be rid of it. These men come at the subject from slightly different angles, but agree about processed carbs, and the dangers of eating grains. The science backs them up. You have to ignore a great deal of science to conclude that wheat is safe to eat. Look how ill and fat people are becoming. How cynical for governments to be hounding the obese, whilst insisting they eat the cereal poisons which made them fat in the first place. To governments everywhere I ask why do you prefer to break your bank to meet the cost of drugs and healthcare for chronic illnesses, than to revise your outdated views on diet? If you aren't motivated by compassion, which I am sure you would wish to be, then be motivated by the prospect of financial savings, because I suspect, as do many people more knowledgable and well-informed than I, that your savings could be in their billions. Save money. Heed the low carb movement. Heed Dr Davis.

We were all warned about tobacco products when it was realised smoking was dangerous. The government didn't order us to smoke MORE, whilst it investigated. But that's what's happening with wheat. If you read this book, and take on board the message, you will improve your health more than you could ever imagine. I have been left disabled by my intolerance of wheat - my system broke under the stress of so much poison, but even so, the transformation in my health has been miraculous. My neighbour described my recovery, a week after ditching wheat, like my being given anti-venom for a snake bite! Don't let yourself become permanently handicapped by your love of toast and sandwiches. They are not worth it - not worth developing paralysis for, as did I, or heart disease or cancer, as do other unfortunate people. I have lost fifty pounds this year, simply by eating gluten and wheat free FRESH food. Eat this way and, as Dr Davis counsels, you can be slender (and healthy) without ever going hungry. Say goodbye to your wheat belly. Forever.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Oct 2011 20:39:43 BDT
ddigger says:
OMG, thanks so much for posting this! I too have been to the GP saying I will never eat wheat again because of my experience with it and he scoffed at me! I have lupus, autoimmune dis, which seems to be triggered by sugar esp, but wheat is the real baddie. Makes me feel like I've eaten bleach or some acid that pervades every cell in my body! Like You can't shake off the feeling no matter what you do. My sister ate some pasta the other night and her mood changed from pleasant to positively evil! Couldn't believe the transfomation! Altho she denies it was anything to do with the wheat! Feel so alone in my quest to wake people up to this! Glad there are more and more alternative products comiing on now to wheat, altho generally not when eating out! Grrrrr I could go on.... Btw, I'm 50 now and it took until about 46 or so to realise finally what was the problem, having had belly problems/low-grade illneses, depression/anxiety all my life!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2011 17:47:05 BDT
K. Stephen says:
Good courage to you all, what fantastic stories which I believe 100% for I just had wheat/gluten intolerance, and the change within a couple of days after stopping wheat etc was fantastic, and by the end of two weeks the bloated gassy bowels had flattened, my joints stopped aching, terrible dandruff calmed as did the skin rashes, the depression, the hunger and terrible fatigue. Other things too have happened since stopping wheat (although I also avoid potatoes and rice as they don't help my glycemic load and insulin resistance), including recently a nasty sebacious cyst on my eyebrow, present for over 25 years has gone. That might be the lemon juice I rub over my body though. I have stopped using cosmetics too, and smell as sweet as a peach - it's frightenning what they put in cosmetics, abatoirs and petrol refineries play their part, and that's the fun side.
Stop Wheat. Evil stuff.

Posted on 22 Feb 2012 18:22:29 GMT
Tor says:
Like Alijazz I too had peritonitis, but when the surgeons operated they found my appendix hadn't burst as they'd expected, but there was a huge amount of nasty stuff and they were at a loss to explain it. So they removed the appendix anyway. Now I'm thinking - could it all have been wheat induced?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2012 21:45:08 BDT
K. Finch says:
Just stick to simple meals when eating out, grilled fish, steaks vegs and salads. Ask for dressing on the side but for them to bring olive oil and lemon to the table, douse your salad in olive oil. I carry a bottle of my own dressing in my handbag just in case, crushed garlic, lemon juice and olive oil :) divine.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2012 22:41:18 BDT
K. Stephen says:
Great advice, very healthy and delicious.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2012 22:51:35 BDT
K. Stephen says:
Hi Tor, it must have been horrible not getting an answer from medics.
I'm sure wheat could well have damaged your system, and there are medics and researchers who are very concerned about the effects of wheat and especially the gluten protein. We are not designed to eat it. Not whole wheat either. Cut any wheat product out from your diet, and also any other grain that contains gluten. It won't do you any harm at all to do that. If you need carbs, bio rice is fine.
Look up "leaky gut syndrome". Inflammatory effects all round.
Also Dairy might be a problem, the lactose sugar and milk proteins can be very problematic, I am checking that out for me right now, especially cow milk products. Adult mammals (which we are) are not meant to eat milk products, that's meant for baby animals alone.
Good luck, and hope you recover well.

Posted on 30 Jun 2014 14:43:14 BDT
Lola says:
Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful in-depth review. I hope your journey to health continues well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (177 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 6.01