5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive. Blows the competition out of the water., 8 Aug. 2010
I've owned a number of foil shavers in the past and never got on too well with them. The more expensive ones are okay if you have very short stubble, but if you miss a day's shave then two days length can be tricky to deal with. As such until today I have mainly stuck to wet shaving with a Gillette Fusion or (when time allows) a straight razor.

After receiving some gift vouchers I decided to give an electric shaver another go. After remembering my father having a very early model Philishave which worked flawlessly for many, many years I decided to give a rotary shaver a tried and ended up splashing out on the RQ1250. It's about twice as much as I'd planned on spending, but I was feeling reckless (and I'm very glad I was!). The shaving mechanism is identical to the top of the range RQ1290, but doesn't come with the automatic cleaning gadget. Frankly, as the razor is so quick and easy to clean anyway, I believe the additional cleaner is utterly pointless.

The quality and comfort of the shave is by far the best I've had with an electric shaver. Whilst not quite as close as I can achieve with my Fusion or straight razor there is so little in it that it hardly matters. It's certainly closer than I've achieved with a lot of cheaper razors. It also coped remarkably well with 3 days worth of stubble - no foil razor I've tried has ever managed this without having to resort to using he trimmer first to trim things back a bit!

The build quality is exceptional. Whilst this might be a high price to pay for something you'll only use for a few minutes per day I fully expect to still be using this shaver in ten years' time. If I'm correct then in reality this shaver will probably end up costing my far less than I would have spent on Fusion blades (which are obscenely expensive) in the same period of time.

I really only have one gripe about this product. As several others have mentioned it would have been better to have the option of charging without the cradle. The cradle is fine at home, but not something I'd particularly want to carry around on trips & holidays. This isn't a major issue - it's definitely still a 5 star product - but is something worth mentioning nevertheless.

All in all a first class shaver. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

[Add comment]