2.0 out of 5 stars Proceed with caution if you're looking for self help techniques., 24 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles (Hardcover)
In a nutshell: If your mother was stressed-out or otherwise in some kind of unhappy/angry/fraught/traumatic state when she was pregnant with you, or your parents (if together) were often violently arguing, and then once you were born you were deprived of any love/affection/encouragement/support, then sorry, but the die has been cast and you will have an unhappy life, always be a failure, never succeed at anything you want to do, no matter how intelligent you are or what good ideas you may have. Something will always get in the way or otherwise prevent it from happening.

If you try a plethora of self-help and positive thinking techniques/affirmations, whatever, you will merely be at war with yourself and suffer dreadful anxiety as a result.
In fact, he mentions a movie to illustrate his point, whereby a gifted pianist, trying to overcome the deep-rooted fears put there by his over-protective father (victim of Holocaust) that he would only be safe if he never strayed far from home, the pianist managed to travel the world, presumably fears overcome with positive thought, succeeded in giving the performance of his life, only to go insane immedietely afterwards and never recover, because, according to Lipton, he had dared to try and overcome the negative 'programming' laid down in his mind since birth.

So, in spite of the talk about cells being affected by thought, he states that once any bad, early, instructions were fed into you, (example: you're worthless/never amount to anything/you're not loved, etc) then sorry, but the damage is now done, you're beyond hope and doomed to have a traumatic, unhappy life and nothing you can do about it. Positive affirmations won't work because nothing reaches the subconsious, not even any self-help techniques you may try - oh, except for one thing! - And that is something that has been 'invented' by his friend, but you've got to go and buy his friend's book to find out how that works. Then you will have to sign-up for one of his friend's courses because Lipton points out that the book alone won't be enough.

The book in question is 'Psych-K' and the bad reviews for it seem to say it all!

So, to sum up, what Lipton appears to be doing, apart from repeat the view that thought can affect cells (hardly a new concept nowadays) is to sell you the idea that if you were already unfortunate enough to have been neglected/abused/starved of love & affection, always put down or otherwise criticised/blamed, you are doomed, and the only technique that can 'save' you is what his friend is going to tell you about in his book, but then, really you have got to attend his expensive courses as you really cannot do it yourself!

This seems to me to be yet another excercise in some author trying to cash-in on people desperately looking for ways to improve their lives.

Lipton mentions much in the way of truth, but then I don't need him to tell me about the fact that pharmaceutical companies are among the richest organisations in the world, and that prescription drugs are big business for those behind them (doctors in pockets of drug companies, etc) dangers of medically-prescribed drugs, etc, etc, I would have thought that most people are perfectly capable of working that out for themselves, it doesn't take a genuis to see all this if you only stand back and look at how the 'system' works, (or rather doesn't work) surely most of us can see quite plainly what a racket it all is, (invent names for variations in personality, create a drug for it, and so on, it's called the medicalisation of normality) Lipton says all this too, and I agree, but then I already worked it out for myself, I didn't need to buy a book just to see the author agree with me; what Lipton does is say all this, which is true, and he explains the damage that could have been done to anyone through bad parentling or traumatic early experiences, promises to tell you what you can do about it, but then goes on to say that actually you can't do anything about it, but that it can teach you not to do the same to any kids you may have, to give them a chance of having a good life, but you can't alter what damage may have been done to you, unless for the one thing that may help - his friend's 'Psych-K' techniques.

Sorry for writing a negative review, I would much rather say something good if it warrants it, and I so much wanted to feel positive about this book. I had to wait until I got to the epilogue before Lipton even mentioned anything that could be done to help people already damaged, and then it was only to try and sell his friend's book and get people signed-up for the course.

Really, if you're looking for ways to overcome inner self-sabotaging problems, you'll be better off buying a good book on Energy Pyschology, EFT techniques, (Emotional Freedom Techniques) though avoid Carol Look's book unless you already know all about EFT, as her book presupposes that you know exactly where to tap and if you have not learnt about it first, hers is not a good book to start with.

As for the book being reviewed here, (Biology of Belief) starts promising but ends up disappointing. You could even feel very depressed, thinking you were going to find answers, only to be told you're actually beyond help.

I can recommend "You Can Heal Your Life", and "I Can Do It", both by Louise Hay, far more positive and hopeful and helpful, and the latter comes with a very good CD too.

Another early book on similar lines to Lipton's, though may be difficult to obtain now, is "The Unknown Spirit" by Jean Charon. It was one of the first books I read on these kind of metaphysical matters, and is very interesting, though there is no mention of anyone being damaged or beyond help, it is mainly about the nature of 'everything, and how mind, spirit, and matter are all intertwined and how the electrons may contain more than we realise.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Sep 2009 14:45:59 BDT
Annie Allen says:
Thankyou for such an in depth review - most helpful. (I cannot agree more that EFT is a very real way of clearing out negative programming and making real changes - I have personal experience). So many of these types of "Self-help" books spend 95% of the book telling us what we already know and banging on about how dreadful life is but don't offer much concrete and constructive help. I'm sure they help the author's bank balance however!

Posted on 29 Nov 2009 10:57:00 GMT
G. Hobbs says:
Here we are. Do you think the Auther even thought about his bank balence at the time he got his 'Ah ha' moment -- l doubt it! Do you think that was his whole motivation for writting this book? l doubt it. Both the original review and this comment are a true reflection of where each of these persons are in THIER lives, not where the auther is. The message from the book is ' love is the answer' - not a new idea for sure. But unless we have Self Love we project our issues onto others,,,,,,
With Love from the Universal Heart
Graham Hobbs

Posted on 15 Jan 2010 14:26:01 GMT
Zen Archer says:
I havent read the book, but when it was mentioned that affirmations doesnt work I just had to write something. I was a not so successful freepistol shooter (not in the US). After learning how to use affirmations from the book "with winning in mind" by olympic champion Lanny Bassham my performance increased so that the same year I was called to the tests for the national team in my country. And you dont need to read 300 pages to learn that, you just have to learn how to build a working affirmation, and then apply you willpower every day during about three weeks until your subconscious selfimage has changed. Because thats what was holding you back. It has no choice, no chance, against your willpower. The resulting new selfimage will from here on take you towards your goal everytime you perform, or whatever it is you want. Have fun, and remember to be good.. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2010 13:15:16 BDT
C. R. Walton says:

Posted on 26 Jun 2010 13:54:14 BDT
Gibbs says:
The book has flaws (mostly in his historical comments, about Copernicus and Bruno as well as about non-Euclidean geometry, and in his philosophical confusions about matter, mind and energy), but he emphatically does NOT say that "the die has been cast and you will have an unhappy life". On the contrary, he states many times over that the subconscious beliefs and expectations that are getting in our way can be reprogrammed. "Psych-K" is a program for doing this, but he doesn't say that it's the only way, nor is the book simply an ad for his friend's course.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2010 03:52:43 BDT
Ronda S. says:
If I had the book in front of me, I could quote you chapter and verse where he makes it plain he is stating that once 'damage' has been done at an early age, it is irreversable. He then goes on to say that the only thing you can do if you have been 'damaged' is to sign up for his friend's pysch-k course, because you won't be able to overcome all the blocks and inner obstacles if you don't. This was obvious and is what put me off this book.

Posted on 23 Dec 2010 14:19:24 GMT
K. N. Senior says:
A very informative & honest review, I was contemplating wether or not to buy this book but after reading this review I think I'll give it a miss. Thanks.

Posted on 6 Jan 2011 13:28:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jan 2011 13:29:36 GMT
An interesting review. I guess different people get different things from any offering on any subject. We all see through our own eyes, so to speak which adds to the rich diversity of life. For me, Bruce Lipton offered mechanics to describe what I've experienced both within myself, and also what I've used successfully within my healthcare practice with patients who have been side-lined by conventional medicine because they didn't fit the current paradigm. I also like Louise Hay, she offers some really useful strategies but I think Lipton gives a different subset of information on the same subject which is helpful to many people. I have studied health to post-grad level but I still found it interesting, helpful and informative.

Posted on 24 Feb 2011 08:51:23 GMT
Thank you for a very good review! Unfortunately the book is already in my possession so I'll try not to be put off! :-)

Posted on 1 Mar 2011 21:58:44 GMT
P Campbell says:
I disagree that the die has been cast. You can change the way that you think and then your life and I am proof of that happening. Agreed what you learn see and do as a child dominates our thinking and behaviours, but we can learn to change the way we handle life and the way our thought processes come together. From being a very nervous, anxious child, which continued into adulthood, I learned how to stop the way I was thinking which was dominated by anxiety and fear. It is possible to have a good and happy life after years of misery. Give these books a chance and work at them and then you will see results. It's worth the effort!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›