ARRAY(0xaa1baf9c)

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and sanity. AVOID! *SPOILERS WITHIN!*, 25 July 2012
This review is from: Tape 407 [DVD] (DVD)
I have to admit that immediately, I had geared myself up to hate this film. I don't enjoy found footage films. The camerawork just leaves me with a sore head and I think that too often, it is used to disguise a lack of budget rather than to tell a unique story.

For the first quarter of an hour or so, we are subjected to the inflight footage shot and narrated by Abigail Schrader's character Trish (one of the two teenagers mentioned in the synopsis). Unfortunately, Schrader's voice has a terminal shrill whine to it which only becomes worse during scenes of peril and terror. By the end of the first fifteen minutes, I was willing her to die simply to spare my eardrums and sanity.

As explained in the synopsis, the plane crashes, handful of survivors etc and the next thing you know, there's a roar from the outlying foliage. I thought to myself "What the hell was that? A dinosaur?" Guess what, folks? It is. Yep, that's right. For some unexplained reason, the U.S. military has a dinosaur running around in a poorly fenced off area in the Californian desert.
This creature is never really revealed to the audience, fleeting glimpses of the CGI tail, a bit of the muzzle poking through a door and so on but this certainly isn't Jurassic Park.

I suspect the actors were given general direction and a rough script to work from, since much of Tape 407 seems to be made up of lots of running around, screaming and improvised dialogue; some classic examples of the lines the audience were treated to are:
"She was trying to help you. You and your damn peanuts." Right after an air hostess is killed.
"Those are NOT rocks" after one of the cast wretches up blood over dino-eggs.
... and my personal favourite which comes from Charlie, the big guy who is pretty hateful and is employed to state the obvious, presumably for the benefit of the audience; when he says, "I'm no good in these situations." I was actually just thinking the same thing the other day after I survived a plane-crash and was chased by a T-Rex around the desert.
Nonsense. Utter utter nonsense.

The madness doesn't end with the dialogue, oh no. It would appear that a dinosaur ramming into the windscreen/ side windows of your SUV has no discernible impact on the glass. Which led me to think, what has ruined the survivors escape from their situation other than their own stupidity?

I'm actually seething just thinking about this movie and what a waste of my time it was.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]