5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - it does everything - so far, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Asus Fonepad ME371MG 7-inch Tablet (Intel Atom Z2420 1.2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 3G, Camera, Android 4.1) (Personal Computers)
Originally I was just about to buy an Apple ipad mini for 370 - but at 179 this was less than half the price. I've had this Asus for 2 months now. Asus also manufacture these as the much more heavily marketed Google Nexus 7, but Google charge quite a bit more for exactly the same thing. Why?

It's an amazing product; stick in a free SIM card from GiffGaff and for 12/monthly you get unlimited internet + 250 mins of calls with no contract - just pay from month to month! (I've since changed to GiffGaff's 7.50 per month tariff, which gives me all the connection I need for even less money)

After downloading the Android Kindle app, and all my books etc became available for reading anytime, anywhere and my old Kindle was instantly obsolete

In the car, it connects to bluetooth and, with a bluetooth earpiece, hands-free phone calls are easy. You could also use it this way as a sat nav, though I've not done this myself (got one in my car already)

At the weekends I enjoy walking in the country-side, so I got the ViewRanger app and downloaded a collection of UK Ordinance Survey 1:25000 maps - I can choose my 15 kilometer squares anywhere I'm going, paying just 8 for 20 squares - a great bargain as I not only get the most beautiful detailed maps of many countries all around the world, but, as they're on my tablet, I also get that clear red mark on my map to show exactly where I am, and which way I'm heading! I can never get lost again!

A waterproof ipad mini bag with shoulder string, costs just 5 elsewhere on Amazon - I recommended this if your outside with it much, as this Asus isn't waterproof, unlike the new pads from Sony.

An extra 32GB micro memory card doubles the total memory, so I can hold loads of other stuff too. I've got all my business accounts on it, so I can immediately issue and email invoices direct to customers, while I'm still in front of them - wherever we are.

Camera is completely hopeless - just about usable for skype chatting, so if you want to take photos you'll need something else.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Aug 2013 21:05:12 BDT
i think you will find that the nexus 7 is a completely different device with a different processor and graphics.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2013 13:35:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Oct 2013 13:39:01 BDT
jds says:
Maybe the Nexus 7 is completely different. I've never used a Nexus 7, but I just assumed that, as they were both designed and built at the same time, and around the same platform, and manufactured by the same company there would be close family resemblances.

I recall a few years ago Jaguar Cars were heavily criticized for bringing out their X-Type Jag which was 'only' a re-bodied Ford Mondeo. I assumed that the same sort of 'badge-engineering' was going on here.

Sorry for any confusion about that.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2013 23:26:14 GMT
Figg says:
Does the Nexus 7 have a 3g phone and a proper camera?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2013 23:29:23 GMT
Figg says:
How much would I pay for road maps of say France and would the sat nav help me find my silver car in a big outdoor car park?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2013 00:51:56 GMT
jds says:
Road maps for driving are free - just click on Google maps start & finish points and it'll tell you exactly... Once out of your car, you need to turn on the GPS and download a local area map - I recommend downloading View ranger free app for this bit - they'll give you 2 free detailed local maps GB or FR and then more detailed squares aren't expensive - about 7 for 12 squares 15kms sq. Of course you need to connect to the internet for this bit! GPS is accurate to +/- 20 metres. If you still can't find your car, then buy a yellow Lamborghini and just follow the crowds...

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2013 02:57:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Nov 2013 03:15:51 GMT
Figg says:
jds, thanks for the info. I think I may go for a Maserati, black or dark silver instead of the yellow Lamborghini but its a great tip and one I shall pass on. When I visit a strange town or city I park where I can then leave the car and wander about for hours. Then I start to panic about finding my way back to the car park. My Tom Tom no longer works unless it's plugged in and I just don't want to buy another, hence the questions about the maps.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2013 10:31:07 GMT
jds says:
I think a dark silver Maserati may be too discrete to serve the purpose... The View Ranger software leaves a thin green line on the map to show exactly where you have been from the point where you turned it on (i.e. where you got out of your car) I This is incredibly useful when making up circular walks in the countryside, and would also be just fine for your lost car in carpark problem

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2013 17:13:17 GMT
Figg says:
Ah, but I could still follow the line of envious motorists, even if its grey or black.
With View Ranger software my Maserati can be any colour, even black. Today I saw a Fiat 500 from 1955 and it looked as good as any Maserati or Lamborghini. The driver, an Italian, was getting out of the car in Sainsburys car park and I just had to ask him about it. He bought the car over 20 years ago, did it up, and uses it all the time. It was a show stopper but probably not that practical. You would not think it shared any motor DNA with the current or previous box style 500. Much more character than our current cars.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›