5.0 out of 5 stars I love it - but with serious reservations!, 1 Jun 2013
I am a professional driver. I earn my living by driving and I drive a 40 ton articulated vehicle so I need to plan each and every journey very carefully. In the past I have used a car Sat-nav as an aid to my navigation and most of the time it was good enough to route me via sensible roads to my desired destination. Once or twice it didn't though so when my car device needed replacing and I saw this new device it seemed stupid not to give it a try! So I bought it.
As with all new devices which I entrust to direct me I initially used it with some degree of care/suspicion! The menus are slightly different to my old TomTom and it took a few days to become familiar with the differences. The routing seems to be very good and so far I have had no problems with the routes with which I have been presented. Last week my boss asked me to use a different vehicle (MAN 7.5 tonne) and collect a fridge unit from the beach-side cafe at Branscombe bay near Seaton in Devon. I thought this would be the journey which would give me confidence in this unit and I was right! The journey was from the centre of Exeter and despite the last couple of miles being on very narrow roads with tight bends the unit was very satisfactory. (Unlike the driving of the private cars I met along the way - but that is a different story!) My co-driver was shocked at the route we were given when we turned into the first of these narrow roads but it turned out perfectly OK, and there WERE a couple of other routes which might not have been so wonderful! So I am now confident that the truck-routing algorithms are satisfactory.
Now for the reservations.
When I bought this new device I went to Tomtom's website and registered the purchase. For some strange reason they seem to think that no-one will ever own more than one sat-nav so I had to use a different e-mail address to register this new one. The original 720t was registered previously. During this registration process I was informed that there was an updated map available.
Please note it is referred to as an 'updated' map. Now I am a simple soul and to me as a native English speaker the word 'updated' means it is just the original version with some improvements which were unavailable when it was first published. So I downloaded it and installed it onto my device. This process took around 30 minutes at the end of which I was asked which map I wanted to use. I selected the new one. The 'updated' one. (|First question - why is there a choice? If it is an update should it not be applied to 'update' the original?)
At this point although I found (as previously) the site to be a bit odd everything was going fine. I finished the entire process and was expecting to shut everything down and dis-connect when TomTom gave me a small warning - almost as an afterthought - that this new map had no truck information in it!!
What?!! No truck in....
Second and principal question - since I have bought a truck-specific device containing a map with truck-specific information to enable me to route a truck why in heaven's name would I want a map WITHOUT truck information?
My hope is in writing this review that those genius web developers working at TomTom will get a serious kick up the bum and sort this out. I find their website a strange place to go and the TomTom Home software I used previously was also odd. Their idea of 'logical and intuitive' is somewhat different to mine I fear!
Of course it might be me? Unless YOU know different...
In conclusion the device is brilliant, especially the mount, but the website needs significant improvement!
I hope this novella is helpful to all!! :)

[Add comment]