5.0 out of 5 stars Limited Only by Your Imagination!, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix S4200 Digital Camera (14MP, 24x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD Screen (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
As someone who has used a range of cameras, this one presented no obstacle, and is a joy to use!
Living in London, there is endless opportunities for a good photo-shoot!

The 24x zoom is simply out of this world! I learned very quickly, the art of using zoom (at this magnification) to great effect! The compression in the images is stunning! Taking images of the crowded streets is breathtaking! Placing the unit on a tripod in Regents Park, I took a closeup shot of the BT tower! Wow! I could see right into the offices, 600 feet above London! Very impressive!
Very soon, I learned to use the menus and found out how to turn on the digital zoom. At first, I thought I was seeing things. Turning on this feature, racks the zoom up to a mighty 160 x! Yes, that's right! 160. I have used it up 100x (or somewhere around that mark). You will need a tripod. And if you've never used a digital camera with such awesome zoom, with a tripod, be prepared to do some serious photographic learning!!! Just 'jogging' the camera, at 100x zoom, completely destroys your composition!! Something else you can use to steady the camera when using such a huge zoom-range, is a cam-cushion. I made my own by using a half-empty bag of rice, sealed up with tape!! And placed inside an odd-boot sock!! Voila!! A portable, and not too heavy, cam-cushion!
But the zoom-compression in the images is awesome!! On three occasions, I have photographed the moon! Incredibly, you can see the dark patches and mountain ranges in lurid detail!! And all from a camera for this price!!! 10/10

The macro facility has two settings. On the higher of the two settings, it is child's-play to take close ups of very small subjects! One one of my jaunts, I found a 'Lego' figurine of a spaceman holding a wrench or spanner! So I decided to learn to use the macro facility. I set it to maximum, and positioning the little guy (3 cm high) on a wall, in brilliant sunlight, I took an image! Perfect! Just perfect! Every detail could be clearly seen. And only today, I went to Regents Park and took some images there! I took countless images of various flowers and bees on flowers, using the macro lens facility with consummate ease! You would need to be an inebriated gorilla to get this wrong! I mean; how hard can it be? (laughs.)

For the initiated, the camera can be used in aperture or shutter priority or manual. However, I can't really see many people wanting to go to all that trouble, when perfect pics are just a click away!
This camera has more than enough facilities and shortcuts to keep everyone happy! It can be set to (various) scenes; eg, night. landscape, party, close up, etc! (scene position) Custom, Program, Panorama, Scene recognition Auto, Auto, and of course, the aforementioned Aperture priority, Shutter priority and manual modes.

The unit is reasonably light and compact. The 3 inch LCD screen is crisp and clear. The viewfinder (which is a microscopic LCD image of the objective) is very pleasing to use.

As the title of my review implies; it is ony limited by your imagination. And I don't doubt that I will be discovering new things about it for a very long time to come! Bravo!

The 14 mega-pixel censor, gives crisp and bright images. The continuous shooting mode is breathtaking!! It shoots 40 frames in 5 seconds!! (Ouch!!) Photographing wildlife (particularly bees on flowers) is a breeze!!

The menus are very easy to use and learn how to set up your camera to your specifications. All in all, I am very pleased it! 11/10! (laughs.) Great value for money!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jun 2014 09:45:32 BDT
Guitarman58 says:
Addendum to my review:
Re. batteries.
Buying rechargeable batteries is not an option. If you use regular (high power) batteries, you're going to be spending a lot of money!
I keep two sets; 1 x 2900 mAh, & 1 x 2450 mAh (milliamp hour - this is how much charge a battery holds; the higher the figure, the longer they will last). You will of course need to invest in 2 x battery chargers.
Re. The SD card. If you like to shoot videos, then an SD card with plenty of memory on it is what you need!
Use a good quality 'class 10' SD card. (I use a 16 GB SANDISK) NB: There are fakes on sale online. The label will say
16 GB, but if you test the card, you might get a reading as low as 2GB! Not good!
Buy your card from a trusted source.
I've been using my S4200 since 2012. It wasn't too expensive either! (£109.00)
The image quality if good, but not as sharp as a DSLR. (Not at this price!) You can do your own image editing (sharpening, etc) if you so require.
Comparing this camera to more expensive ones is a waste of time! I mean; you wouldn't compare a family saloon car with a Rolls Royce!
For what it will cost you, this camera has a great performance, and a generous compliment of features. It has a fantastic zoom (160x with digital zoom turned on). Exposure control; you can adjust the white-balance in tiny increments. It has a self-timer. The macro is fun and easy to use. The continuous shooting mode will take your breath away! It does have more facilities than some users will need.
They are there waiting for you!
I have learned much about photography in general in just two years of using this piece of kit. And you can too!
Every time I use it is brilliant!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›