1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry George, Han shot first, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI) [Blu-ray] [1977] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Clearly the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" means nothing to Lucas. Despite the sales figures of the 2006 DVDs (which included the theatrical versions) apparently surpassing the 2004 box sets, including many people buying them again just to get the originals on DVD, again he insists on messing around with a classic.

Yet more changes over the 2004 DVDs (although the colour timing errors seem to be fixed, Darth Vader really didn't look good with a pink lightsabre!). Greedo still shoots first (boo!), Jabba still appears in Ep IV (boo!), and now the Ewoks blink (like, whatever?) and Darth Vader shouts "noooooo!" at the end of Ep VI. A line of dialogue that was lifted from Ep III.

So sorry George, but until you release the original 1977/80/83 versions on Blu-Ray my money will be staying firmly in my pocket and I shall continue to watch my self-restored versions I created from the 2006 theatrical discs.

(As an added note, one wonders if now that Disney have bought the rights to Star Wars whether they'll release the originals?)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Oct 2013 00:02:59 BDT
J. Jordan says:

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2013 15:20:16 BDT
I think that's what I already put: "Until [Lucas] releases the originals on Blu-Ray then my money will be staying firmly in my pocket".

As for my comment regarding the self-restored versions, I own the 2-disc versions, and it's widely known that the bonus disc with the theatrical release could have been better. If you're competent with DVD Rebuilder and AviSynth you can easily make cleaned up anamorphic versions with proper subtitles using the original (legitimately purchased) discs as a source.

And creation is only in the hands of the original creators until their work is released. At that point it becomes part of popular culture.

Blade Runner got it right. The theatrical, director's and final cut editions are all available, and you, the viewer, the purchaser - the person who ultimately is responsible for the film's success - can choose which version to watch. Lucas trying to excise the original versions from history has shades of 1984's Ministry Of Truth (and, dare I say it, Nazi book-burning).

I have no problem with Lucas tinkering with his own creations. I do however have a problem with him dictating to us, the people who pay for the product, which versions we are and aren't allowed to watch. So my comment stands. Until the theatrical versions are released on Blu-Ray, in HD (which isn't a big job, it just means restoring the altered scenes) then I will not be buying them.

Or are you a sycophantic fanboi who believes Lucas can do no wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2013 01:59:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Oct 2013 02:03:38 BDT
J. Jordan says:

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2014 22:50:05 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 13 Apr 2014 22:51:07 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2014 22:51:21 BDT
Mr. B. White says:
Well said Glenn Richards - I agree entirely. I got given the blu ray trilogy as a present but have not watched them since I refuse to watch the Lucas's 'improved' versions. I always stick the bonus dvd on when I want to watch Star Wars. I can't blame Lucas too much since it was him that invented the wonderful film trilogy in the first place but it is annoying how he hasn't released the originals on blu ray.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (897 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £44.38