1.0 out of 5 stars Be carful buying DGM., 23 Feb. 2013
This review is from: DGM IPS-2701WPH LCD Monitor (Personal Computers)
I recently bought this DGM monitor and for the price I thought I was getting a bargain but sadly it hasn't worked out that way.

After a few months the power board blew on the back of the screen which came as a bit of a surprise. I sent it off to DGM to get it repaired but when I got it back I noticed that the fault had caused additional damage to the screen. I now have dead pixels dotted around and a dead pixel cluster near the centre of the screen. To my disappointment DGM told me they are unwilling to help me because I cant prove the damage was caused by the power board blowing and I was also told that under so and so policy pixels aren't covered under warranty which in my view leaves me with a defective product through no fault of my own.

I also found the customer service staff rude, unreliable and generally unprofessional.

I was cautious buying this product due to the price and not knowing who DGM were but I decided to risk it, unfortunately.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Feb 2013 00:39:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2013 01:02:17 BDT
Mark Twain says:
Wow that is horrible. I had a VERY similar experience with a screen I bought a few years ago from NEC. I even ended up calling trading standards in the end.

p.s. I should mention though, that the pixel policy is one of the ISO Standards British companies have to be a part of, so I think most monitor manufacturers will hide behind the same stupid law, with regards to dead pixels. So obviously if half your screen was ruined by it, you would be able to get the monitor fixed/replaced/ or your money back. But if there are 'only' several dead pixels (I think the official cut off point is about 12 or something), then you have no legal recourse. Which I think is really not fair, but what I think doesn't stand for much.

But just thought I would mention that. All I would suggest is that you try to find a monitor that is sold in an old school "Shop" on the highstreet or at least somewhere that you can go and collect. At least that way you can reduce the chance of getting something with an 'obvious' problem like dead pixels. Some places offer an extra charge of about a tenner to check it over for dead pixels first, I think overclockers do that. Also I think there is some law that anything you buy can be returned for any reason with a certain amount of time like 2 weeks. It's under the "Distance selling regulations" which are actually quite generous to us, the consumer. Although some companies have policies that complicate things like requiring that you pay for the return cost if there is no fault. But still, it can help at times.

Although, none of this helps poor Rikrik_81. If your monitors blows and gets damaged, they should blummin well fix it. If they don't, not sure what you can do. Maybe call trading standards or the C.A.B or something. Sad you have to go to war with companies though, just to get fairness.

Posted on 31 Dec 2013 13:16:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Dec 2013 14:41:05 GMT
M. Bhangal says:
Your communication with DGM was probably just a sales clerk referencing the relevant spec (ISO9241 or ISO13406-2) without actually checking it (I am pretty sure of this as it sounds like they didn't have the screen at hand to check), and are hoping you will not check either! I strongly recommend you check the spec yourself (links below, and its not difficult if you go to the Wikipedia articles that explicitly state how to check for a dead pixel limit fail) and raise a claim *directly to Amazon* if the specs state in your favour.

For fairness to DGM, I should add that its entirely possible that the fault does actually pass ISO 9241, and you then sadly have no claim, but if you do have more than the number of dead pixels claimed in ISO 9241 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9241#ISO-9241-302.2C_303.2C_305.2C_307:2008_pixel_defects), for the class of screen you have (look in the product instruction manual), then you have a valid complaint. I would then raise a claim with Amazon, but tell DGM you are about to do that to see if it shifts their attitude. Something along the lines of this may work wonders:

'I have checked ISO 9241 and it finds in my favour because <state failing condition>, meaning the product is clearly at fault. If the return and repair of the item does not proceed within 48 hours, I will raise a claim directly with Amazon, stating the case for defect and also strongly complaining about your substandard service as an Amazon marketplace seller given that you have lied regarding your obligations in reference to the relevant industry best practice specifications, and have done nothing to correct the issue in almost a year'.

You don't have to prove it was caused by the power board - that's just a red herring. If it doesn't meet the spec for dead pixels then it was returned to you in an unacceptable state of repair. In fact, I'd remind DGM (and then tell Amazon) that they returned it 'in an unacceptable state of repair that did not meet minimum saleable standards for this class of product (ISO9241) on <date>, which was pointed out at the time'.

DGM may try to claim ISO 13406-2, but that has actually been withdrawn (the link above is the current spec) and you can ignore it in any argument DGM may make based on 13406.... but here's the link to it (as it may not be that different in your case anyway, and you can claim both ISO13406-2 and 9241): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2.

In general, Amazon specifies that sellers must provide the same level of service that Amazon itself provides, something you should use without any qualm. Sure, this is a cheap screen and DGM simply don't have good after sales because they are a no-frills volume seller, but that's not your problem.

Amazon is not the cheapest option for no-brand flat screens, and you generally buy from Amazon for the peace of mind, so should certainly flex your muscle when you don't get the quality and service you expect because you paid for it in shopping at a reputable sales site rather than just taking pot-luck at eBay!

HTH

Posted on 19 Jan 2014 18:17:49 GMT
It's pretty bad for them to sell this with an A+ screen and then say, "Hey, a whole bunch of dead pixels is just A-okay."

Posted on 9 Apr 2014 13:56:31 BDT
Seems like this company need's a visit to the County Court to be arranged, under trading standards law, try serving a County Court summons on them.

Posted on 11 Jul 2014 14:59:27 BDT