4.0 out of 5 stars Great item - needs better instructions!, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Edimax EW-7228APN 150Mbps 5-Port Range Extender/Access Point (Accessory)
I ordered this to extend the range of a BT home hub 3 (due to a large brick chimney in the centre of the house reception is patchy). I think of myself as fairly capable but not a technical wizard so I was a bit dubious about whether I would be able to get this working, having read a number of online comments offering help on setting it up as a repeater. I agree the instructions included with the item (hard copy and on cd) are pants if you just want a repeater - after a day or so messing about I came across a much more useful set from Edimax online. Here's the address for the benefit of anyone else trying to do the same:

[...]

I had a small amount of experimentation with the security settings to do but it's now up and running very well with good results. If Edimax had just given me these instructions in the first place I would give the 7228AN 5*, but have knocked one off for the installation time taken. Otherwise great value for money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Jul 2011 23:13:24 BDT
eljueta says:
Hello, i also bought this access point, and i cannot seem to get it to work with wpa2 security setup on my router. I'm sorry to bother you with this, but I can't seem to find any tech support for it. Thank you in advance

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2011 18:43:45 BDT
Emmadw says:
We've just been experimenting with this; also with a BT homehub.

In the end, we tried changing the BT encryption (before we used the notes that amc just posted), from WPA-mixed to WPA2(AES) and then put in a passphrase.

That is appearing to work ... BUT, should the AP appear to be a separate wifi point (i.e. Edimax AP), or should it appear to have the same name as the main BT one? We are getting it appearing with a new name, but it all seems to connect up, so thinking it's working ...

The only difficulty now appears to be getting it to form a homegroup when some of the computers are connected to the Edimax AP & some to the BT homehub.

Posted on 14 Sep 2011 18:44:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jun 2012 22:13:08 BDT
Enodrahcir says:
I agree with the comments so far. I have a bthomehub 2 and cannot seem to get it to work. I have set it up with an ip address in the range of my hub, put in the subnet and used the bthomehubs IP address as the gateway. The security is set on mixed so I think I might try WPa2 as per champagnedrinker to see if this will work. Will I have to then change my bthubs security?So far I just detect it but get no internet. Also when I try to access it via the ethernet cable and cd supplied it finds it hard to detect & then wont accept the default password! A factory reset also seems very hit and miss. Will give it another go at the weekend and would appreciate any help in the meantime. Can you give it the same name as your SSID?

Now changed router to WPA2 and it all works no problems - have also given it the same SSID and again that functions fine. Range of my network is much better. Have found that I sometimes need to reboot the extender to get full range.

Updated 12/6/12
Have found that it kept needing rebooting and got so sick of resetting it so I contacted Edimax to see if they could solve the problem. Unfortunately they did not really help. In the end because I had ethernet cable to the room where I was putting it (to extend the range into the garden) I decided to cable to it then set it up as an access point rather than as an extender. This has solved the problem as never drops out or needs rebooting. Have given it a different ssid to the main wireless router, but this means that if a laptop connects via this access point it does not get recognised as part of the network. This is a pain as I can't then easily login to my NAS. Guess if I change to the same SSID as the main router then it will see it as the same network. Have not tried this yet as just can't be bothered to spend the few minutes it will take

Posted on 29 Jan 2012 15:47:38 GMT
1) Insert CD
2) Connect Range Extender to your computer with Ethernet cable
3) Follow instructions from link above

works ok

Posted on 2 Feb 2012 20:02:12 GMT
Jockyten says:
I have just purchased 2 and the are just the ticket, easy to setup as long as you use the amc431's link.
Full marks amc431.....

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 21:52:00 BDT
HI,

I might be being a bit thick, but can't find anything that states whether this extender has an ethernet port out on it. I want to use it to connect my internet tv to the web without shelling out for the 50 sony wifi peg. Does it have it on there?
Thanks in advance, Jon

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2012 22:03:46 BDT
Enodrahcir says:
Yes it has 4 ports - it can be used as a 4 port switch.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 13:54:33 BDT
StevieB says:
the link is fine for pc users but useless for mac users.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 14:08:14 BDT
out of interest any one using this in repeater mode, is there a way of combing the repeated signal with my existing wifi network? I've set channels bands SSID security to identical but no joy, when get nearer this i have to disconnect and reconnect, and get all sorts of interference issues,

WIFI analyser on my android phone shows 2 different networks with the same SSID, do i just need to have 2 diff networks?

J

Posted on 12 May 2013 17:50:04 BDT
Tony Farson says:
amc431 is basically right. There is now in fact a further set of instructions from Edimax for the HomeHub3 which are virtually identical:

The issue is making sure that the repeater and the Homehub use the same security settings. You must use the wizard that came on the disk or it can be downloaded from the manufacturer if lost. These are the steps:

1. Upgrade to the new firmware for the repeater from the manufacturer's site v1.14 or 1.15 if using Windows 8 and ensuring that it connected to your pc by a network cable. Either now or after set up but doing so is a factory reset and you will have to repeat these instructions from step 3. This completely solves the stability issues people mention here.

2. Reset your Home Hub's security settings. Access your Homehub either as you normally do or type into your browser: 192.168.1.254 You have to have the Admin password that came with the hub but strangely to access the settings you have to change it! Then go to settings and change the security to "WPA2 (only)". Equally strangely you will then have to change your wifi key as well. Scroll down and click Apply. Don't worry the HomeHub guides you through this pretty well. Unfortunately this means that all your wifi devices will have to have their wifi key changed if you have already connected to the HomeHub.

3. Follow the wizard but you don't have to do the ipconfig bit but you can if you want. Set the IP address as 192.168.1.50, the Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and set the Gateway (the Homehub) as 192.168.1.254. Set the security as WPA2.

3. You can keep the SSID as Edimax AP or change it to whatever you want, but not the same as the HomeHub. The password for the repeater is the same as the one you have just set for the HomeHub.

That's it a little fiddly but it works.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (672 customer reviews)

24.99 18.99