3.0 out of 5 stars A Working Version Of Vista, 3 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Upgrade Edition for XP or Vista users (PC DVD), 1 User (CD-ROM)
If I had upgraded from XP, I would have given this product 5 stars, it really is a very good OS - easy to install, easy to use, every program seems to run on it first time (so far!) and there's some very nice new features.

So, it's perhaps a little harsh that I have only given it 3 stars, but that is purely because, in my mind, I already bought this product 2 years ago when I bought a new desktop with Vista installed. There is very little to differentiate it from Vista, apart from one big thing - it works!

My experience with Vista wasn't all that bad, but I have had constant explorer freezes over recent months and since August, Windows Update hasn't worked at all and therefore upgrading (or re-installing XP) was my only option (I'd tried to fix the problems without any luck). I therefore justified the cost, especially as I thought I might be getting something new as well.

£80 (or £65 through Amazon) is a lot of money to have to spend because the previous product didn't work. I'm not sure any other company would get away with this - if you'd bought a brand new car and it constantly didn't work and repairs didn't help, would you just buy a newer version!?!

Anyway, I did, and I'm happy that it works, happy I got a good price through Amazon, but not happy with Microsoft for not just releasing a further service pack - for this is all this product really is.

As previously mentioned, there are some nice new features (especially if you are coming from XP). The Aero interface is nice to look at, they've added the Snap, Peek and Shake features since Vista, which are all ok, but nothing groundbreaking. The taskbar thumbnails are better than before, especially when you can actually interact with them when using Windows Media Player or iTunes

Windows Media Center is better than before, as is for the most part Windows Media Player - a couple of items have been removed at my annoyance, and the gadgets are a bit better, as they don't have to be on the sidebar (which has been removed) so can be anywhere on the desktop.

But all in all, the biggest improvement is that it works - no freezes, no crashes, no blue screens of death. Hopefully, with future service packs (the first due in December) this will continue to be the case.

So if you want a version of Vista that works, get Windows 7

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Nov 2009 20:41:11 GMT

Posted on 16 Nov 2009 14:51:20 GMT
As VISTA had worked for you for nearly two years the best option was to re-install VISTA, I use a fair amount of different imaging software and in the past have had to reinstall systems about every six months, the secret is to keep all operating system and programs in a separate partition and all you have to do is format the partition and away you go.

Like you my experience with Vista on a very well specified desktop has been fine, but have upgraded to Windows 7 because it is the system VISTA should have been, and quite simply I prefer it..

Posted on 22 Nov 2009 21:06:39 GMT
Pete Mahon says:
I think you should research before making flippant comments like this. Windows 7 is virtually a ground-up rebuilding of Windoze. I'm still staying with Ubuntu, but give the developers some credit man, this new OS tramples all over Vista.

Posted on 18 Feb 2010 15:28:31 GMT
TuneUp Utilities 2010 (PC CD) Features a number of utilities for improving your computers performance - one of which will restart Windows Updates when it does not work. It also explains why it stopped working.

Posted on 19 Feb 2010 12:12:31 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2010 11:28:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Mar 2010 11:33:25 GMT
QT says:
I think what he means is from the user perspective. Users don't care what's under the hood, they just expect it to work. And that's what users in all other fields of commerce do, but in computers there is a feeling we should be grateful they made it work at all.

I came from XP, so I am happy; Windows 7 is nice and it works. But I can understand why Vista users might be miffed - I had Vista for 2 weeks while I waited for my free upgrade and I could not really see the difference from the user perspective, so it would feel like you are paying twice.

Posted on 28 Mar 2010 12:09:56 BDT
I have upraded to Win7 and I feel as others do that this working system could have been done with an upgrade to Vista. This is of course why Mr. Gates and Microsoft are very rich. They do have a "virtual" monopoly. It is also another reason why no US department would intervene and say--Hey Mr. Gates, you are ripping customers off. They need Microsoft.
At the IRS there is a department set aside just to deal with the taxes Microsoft pay. I believe it has a staff of around 20-ish. That is not an urban myth. Microsoft pump millions into the US economy, money is absolute power. They will get away with anything, so long as the tax keeps rolling in.
Conspiracy theory? no way; its what happens. The grassy knoll is a conspiracy theory, not Microsofts dealings.
As for Win7 showing windows over windows, my iMac does this, its how the Apple system works, only its done far far better. I can do this with 50 to 70 operating windows and still show only a small percent of processor use. This includes running videos, music etc. I only did it to try after seeing the video on youtube. I must have Windows also though--my grandchildrens computer games---. So using both systems I can tell you, an iMac is light years ahead, trust me. Once you get used to it there would be no going back. Sorry I have drifted off the point but I felt the need to keep going on a bit--my apologies.

Posted on 12 Jul 2010 20:12:19 BDT
Roamer. says:
I agree wholeheartedly Windows 7 is only a Vista fix.

Posted on 15 Aug 2010 20:27:36 BDT
Thanks Mark, and all the rest of you guys, I was thinking of upgrading my laptop from Vista to MS 7, not any more after reading all these posts, would however upgrade PC with XP but my partner takes a life time to adapt to anything new, so guess I'll save my £80.00 quid

Barry

Posted on 26 Nov 2010 09:24:18 GMT
I totally agree with you. Why should we have to buy a newer version at OUR expense to line the pockets of Bill Gates. Surely they should have just done a service pack like they did for XP at THEIR expense not ours. Nigel
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›