5.0 out of 5 stars Very smooth to read and very actionable things, 10 May 2013
This review is from: One Minute Super Dad: 99 One Minute methods to raise positive, confident and healthy children (One Minute Magics Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
There's a lot of great advice on what wonderful things you can say to kids when you're pressed for time or One Minute Magic Moments as he calls it. I would mention some things that particularly struck me.
For example, "Because I love you, I will always help you."

I also like the affirmation you can teach your kids: "I am important. I matter. I can learn and grow. I can be kind to others. I can succeed."

Love the idea of telling your daughter "how about putting your hair clip in a different way today?"
Completely agree that it's not enough to tell your children things, you must get involved in their lives as well, and have an interest in what they're doing.

I also agree with the dangerous "grenades" he mentions, such as telling your kids "You can't do anything right" or "Why can't you be more like Tommy" or "You are so dumb." And as the book mentions, we get angry sometimes on the same things that we sometimes laud them for because its our mood and stress that causes us to react that way rather than the kid most times.
I also loved the idea about getting them involved in a self-defense sport and ways like using Jackie Chan or Rocky like movies to develop their interests. Learning self-defense is vital to overcoming bullies. Bullies don't care about stupid movies about bullying, but they will not bother those that can and do defend themselves when attacked."
Love the true story of the brilliant scientist who realized that his daughter won't do well in academia and supported her dream of becoming a chef. Sometimes we forget that our children are not extensions of ourselves, like father isn't always like son or daughter. We can say no, but we must be realistic.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]