5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Canon, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Canon (Electronics)
Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Canon

I have bought this lens purely for my up and coming trip across the deserts of Western Australia, so I needed an all in one lens, both as a weight issue and for ease of travel and as any photographer amateur or professional will know changing lenses in the desert is never a good plan!.

The lens was ordered on Thurs 1st November 2012 and arrived 6th November 2012, the company Luzern Tech were brilliant and on time, the Box was well packaged and well protected, on opening the internal packaging was again done properly to protect the lens, the lens feels sturdy to hold and feels robust, it comes with a lens hood!.

I use a Canon 400D and it was easy to fit on the camera the lens felt well balanced and comfortable to hold, I took some initial shots at each end of the scale and some macro shots, the colours looked good and close-ups seems to capture a lot of detail. the OS feature was brilliant, my eyes are unfortunately going (age comes to us all) and if I don't wear my glasses when shooting I sometimes get blurred shots, not with this lens though, it compensates shakiness with the OS and the photo's were sharp and clear, the zoom was good and gave a good clear picture and the landscape shots were clear and the colours were good.

Initial reaction and I have read all the reviews on the magazines but sometimes for us amateurs, they get far too technical!! So with that in mind, for other amateur shooters, my initial reaction is that this is a good sturdy lens, will provide a good "1 lens does all" which for travel and holiday is brilliant, looks good, the lens hood is handy and nice to know you don't have to buy one as an extra!!, I will get a UV filter for this to protect my lens and possibly a polariser as well, but hopefully this lens will fullfil all my needs other than those two items. which will mean lighter travelling!! but still able to take lots of good photos, landscape, wildlife and macro.

On another review on this lens it was noted that Sigma are doing an extended warranty, I went onto the Sigma site registered the lens and got the same extended warranty, well done to Sigma for offering this facility and not charging the customer!, so if you are buying this in the next fews months registar with Sigma as the warranty is worth it.

I have 3 Sigma lenses for my Canon and have never had any problems I expect to have none with this lens. I will write a further review in 6 months on my return from Australia.

I have given it four stars for now but that will probably change after I have used it and expect it to go to 5!!!

But right now initial thoughts are buy, especially for travel/holidaying etc.

UPDATE UPDATE!!! WOW! Chuck the other kit lens away, stick on this one, travel, enjoy and never worry about dust getting inside your camera when changing from Zoom - Wide Angle - Macro, I have completed a trip through Western Australia, crossed Deserts, sailed on the Indian Ocean and stopped to shoot in a Gorge (Kalbarri) in over 50 degrees baking heat, I shot wildlife, landscape, scenes in low light (hand held), flowers and insects in Macro, all are what I wanted, and anything that did not look good was more due to my composition than the lens!!! it is fast enough to focus on a fleeing Roo! and capture it in mid bounce, it is rarely off my camera, (the lens not the Roo!!) I like to travel light with my Photo Kit, but need a lens that does everything, did not think that would ever be available until I got this lens, I would highly recommend this lens to anyone who is looking for a single lens for traveling it is well worth the money and Luzern Tech who were the sellers were a very safe and professional company so this is the lens for you if you travel, it will fit all the Canon APC-C Ef/EF-S mounts. the shots are clear with good colour and good prints at the end result.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]