5.0 out of 5 stars Great viewing and connectivity, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: LG 42LB650V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
LG 42LA620V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD/Built-In Wi-Fi and LG OS

I also have the 32 inch version of this model and have been delighted with it over the last month. This version comes with a free trial of Amazon Prime with unlimited streaming of TV's and movies - there is a green card stuck onto the side of the box go to Amazon.co.uk/Free1 but I think you can get this via your account now anyway.

Set up.
--------
It's big so I think it's a two people job to position it. Not much to do here to the hardware, only attach the stand with the supplied screws. I attached my Sky box to HDMI 1 and my surround amp to HDMI 2. There is plenty of connectivity but it's all round the back and side so it can be difficult to see what you are doing but this is the same with most TV's. It also found my wireless camera !
Switch on
There are several things according to how you want to use the TV. It found my Sky box and surround system quickly and set that all up automatically. The next stage was to log into my router. The set found the router wirelessly and asked me for the password which allowed it to join my home network. It took about a minute and then it was connected and gives a good reliable connection even though the router is two rooms away. It asked me to accept a firmware upgrade which I did and this took just over a minute to download and set up. My 32inch version has asked me to install several updates and I expect this version to do the same.
That was about it really and within 10 minutes the TV was connected to everything I wanted. I had no problems connecting all my other kit and this series from LG seems to not have the horror stories of connection problems that other makes do.

Initial viewing impression.
----------------------------------
Comparing it to the older Hitachi the picture quality being full HD was amazing, very sharp, and bright and no action smearing like the Hitachi had. This 42 inch version seems to have slightly more contrast on the same setting as my 32 inch version. Sky HD looks brilliant in every respect. The screen illumination is very even with no dark corners. The blacks are black and all the colours on my photos look natural. Yep it found my wireless cameras and set it up and now I can see my pictures on the big screen, this TV series seems to have everything and you don't need an engineer to set it up.

Sound quality.
------------------
Sound from the built in speakers (2 channels) was quite good but through the surround amp it was amazing.
After a session mixed viewing including YouTube, Sky, internet streaming sites and Blue ray
This TV has great picture quality and it really is a step up in technology from what we had. Using the internet to find shows, music and YouTube stuff is easy and the quality very good. Along with my Sky box and the internet on this TV I can find just about everything I could ever want to entertain me.

The Remote.
-----------------
This is similar to other LG remotes we have and it is useful and easy to understand. I have programmed my Sky remote to do most of the TV adjustments like sound and input selection. Overall the remote is logical and well laid out with quite big buttons. The only problem I can find is it is not back lit so if you have the lights off it is difficult to see what you are doing.
You can also buy an LG Magic remote for this TV, I have not done so but it does add extra functionality including voice control and extra function. I have not bought one for either TV as I can't see much point for me but for others it may be worth investing if you have game boxes etc. I am investigating whether I can attach a wireless keyboard to the set to make net navigation easier, when I get some play time I will report back on this.

3D.
-----
This is a 3D capable TV and it comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses. This TV shows 3d effects from 3d encoded Blur rays and TV transmissions very well even at difficult viewing angles. Like the 32inch version it has its own 3D encoder to make 2D programs look 3D. The jury is out on this for me some programs look great while others seem muddy and difficult to follow in 3D.

FREE VIEW HD.
-----------------------
As we have a Sky box I have not tried this but it is equipped with Free view HD. It should be fine as we have duplicate channels on the Sky Box.

Overall.
----------
A very nice TV from LG with all the latest stuff on it at the time of writing. It is easy to set up and use and has plenty of features to keep you amused. This series from LG has been very highly rated in the technical press for it's ease of use, great picture and wireless connection that actually works and the LG OS is quite good to boot. I will add more to this review as I get more use and try to connect other devices to this set. There is also a SCART socket on the back to connect older devices with.
I highly recommended this TV series ( I have both the 32 and 42 inch versions). I am reasonably technically minded so I will always try to help other buyers on Amazon get the best from their purchases so ask me any questions and I will do my best to help and advise. Happy viewing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Jul 2014 20:12:37 BDT
FRANK says:
I know it has Freeview and I've seen this advertised not only with Freeview but also it can be connected to a satellite feed.
Can you tell me if this is the case please?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2014 23:04:39 BDT
Hi Frank, yes it does have Freeview but can be connected to satellite or cable service using the HDMI inputs. I have it connected to a SKY HD+ box plus my broadband router so that I can get all the internet services like You Tube etc. This TV has all the inputs you will ever need and connecting a satellite box is easy as the set finds the input and sets it all up for you - gone are the days of tuning and hoping for the best. This is a really well thought out TV and I am very pleased with it. I have also connected a wireless keyboard so that I can type searches in just like a computer. I hope that helps you. Best wishes, Richard.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2014 23:41:34 BDT
Thanks Richard,
what I wanted to know was does it have a satellite tuner built in to the TV?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2014 00:20:26 BDT
Hi Frank, sorry I miss understood you first time round. No there is only Freeview built in you need to have a separate SKY type box to get satellite TV broadcasts. I can't see that any current TV's have this built in, I will enquire and post back if I can get any information. Best wishes, Richard

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2014 11:53:13 BDT
FRANK says:
Thanks for your prompt reply Richard.
I'm in Ireland and I see the 39'' version advertised with a satellite tuner built in.
I can't visit the shop to see this TV hence the inquiry to your good self.
Maybe they do a different version for Ireland.
In Ireland we can receive the English channels through satellite at no extra cost.
We get only the Irish channels through Freeview.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2014 12:20:12 BDT
Hi Frank, that explains things so I think you may have a different system in Ireland to us here in the UK. To get satellite here you have to have a separate box like the SKY system. Here is the LG website address. If you fire the question off to them, the email contact is under the support tab on the right hand side they should be able to give you the answers you need http://www.lg.com/uk - (I can't see a dedicated Ireland website for LG but I am sure this one will have the technical info you need Good luck, Richard.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2014 13:11:57 BDT
FRANK says:
We too use the separate box like Sky or Freesat.
A built in satellite tuner appeals to me though, less remotes for my wife to struggle with.

Thanks for the help and email address,

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2014 23:09:52 BDT
RobHLZ says:
It does have built in Satellite and you do not need to use Sky, the satellite for Sky points to the same area and you can simply screw the satellite cable into the TV's tuner. I have tuned the tv in and it did find the satellite channels... Although I'm currently searching how to switch it to freesat! Will update if/when I find it ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2014 23:19:29 BDT
FRANK says:
There you go Richard, might save you a few quid in the future if you decide you don't need Sky anymore.
I believe that it carries a system called 'Free to Air' which is slightly different to Freesat.
To tell the difference; Freesat has a 7 day epg the other has now and next.
In the UK the satellite tuner probably doesn't make a huge difference but here it means the difference between buying a satellite box (extra remote and more expense) and not.
Keep me posted.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2014 23:22:57 BDT
RobHLZ says:
Hi, I have just tested this out (Bought the TV on Thursday so still working my way around the WebOS interface!)

There is a small P icon in the top right of the built in TV guide which allows you to switch between Antenna (Freeview HD), Cable and Freesat which is also HD :)

Hard to find, but i'm running it on Freesat right now and all is good. Its very weird how there is almost no mention of the feature anywhere! It's a good selling point and should be advertised!

Hope this helps