5.0 out of 5 stars I feel respect... for a work of genius, 14 Sep 2007
This review is from: Too-Rye-Ay (Audio CD)
Dexys are, without doubt, one of the best bands of all time.

I am a huge fan of the punk movement and there is no reason why Dexys should have penetrated my fierce musical walls but from 1982 or so I fell in love with them and when I heard their ultimate classic - the sublime, incredible Don't Stand Me Down album in 1985 - I realised it was love for life.

What Dexys share with my punk heroes is an over riding passion and energy about what they do and I am in awe of the way Kevin Rowland directs and inspires the whole operation. He is an incredible songwriter, an iconic and genuinely fascinating individual and a man who knew what he wanted and went for it with a single minded determination that we should all admire.

Too Rye Aye was, and still is, a classic British pop album which defied pigeonholing and opened up a whole new world of brass and soul to a man like me who always preferred 'those guitars, so noisy and crude'. The album is faultless with my particular highlights being the jaunty opener Celtic Soul Bros, the delicious I'l Show You and the two languid masterpieces of Old and Until I Believe In My Soul.

Classic after classic unfolds - and then you get the impossible-to-dislike Come on Eileen. Forget your nan dancing to this song at a wedding and just listen to this unique song closely - it is glorious, uplifting stuff.

This new enhanced version of the album is worth every penny because it digs into the vaults and finds just about everything you can imagine from Dexy-ville around this time. Some tracks are repeated two, three, four times but they all are different versions or interpretations and they all seem to fit into the album's mood perfectly - I especially love TSOP and the delightful Let's Get This Straight From The Start single.

Best of all though is you get two, yes count them, very different versions of the Dexys ultimate live track - Respect. Anyone who has heard the elongated, tub-thumping Dexys version of this song and not been totally wowed by it is either deaf or dead. Or probably both. It is simply magnificent and there are two very different versions here to enjoy to add to the other recent release of the song on the excellent Passion Revue CD. The first of the new two - on disc one - is probably just my favourite but both are just soooooooooo good. They prove (if proof was needed) what a tight, exciting and phenomenal force Dexys are/were live.

This CD is an absolute must. I never use the word genius about music generally but I genuinely think it is a work touched by that quality - as is the album that followed it. That genius is called Kevin Rowland.

Respect? You better believe it....

[Add comment]