5.0 out of 5 stars Episodes 1-13 review, 7 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Merlin Complete BBC Series 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I have just started watching Merlin, but the first two thirds of series 3 episodes have been pretty good. This is a short review of Episodes 1-12 in Series 3.

The Tears of Uther Pendragon- Part 1
My first ever episode of merlin, and some of the back story and set up confused me quite a bit, but by halfway through I had more or less got the hang of it. The ending was great, but the cliffhanger again wrong footed me, as I didn't know who 'The great dragon was. 8/10

Tears of Uther pendragon Part 2-
I had high expectations for this concluding part, and it matched them with some gripping storytelling, action packed fight scenes and great CGI. It set the bar really high for the rest of series 3. 9/10

Goblin's Gold
A departure from the dark opening 2-parter, instead this was a comic relief episode. Surprisingly good jokes, superb acting from Richard Wilson who plays Gaius, and a breath of fresh air from the movie style preceding episodes. Not well written though. 8/10

Gwaine
A drop in quality after a speedy start to the series. It was a lacklustre, poorly written mush of an episode. Also contains the most rubbish pre titles moment ever. Entertaining action scenes, and a very good comedy bar fight soften the badness of this episode. 6/10

The Crystal Cave
Back to the standard of the opening 2 parter, with a light on action, tight plotted and character driven story. Starts well, ends well, and is chock full of revelations. Marks the return of the Great Dragon in a much smaller role. 9/10

The Changeling
Bad, bad, bad. I have nothing good to say about this pointless, childish episode apart from good acting. I don't think I've WAITED MANY YEARS FOR THIS MOMENT.
5/10

The Castle of Fyrien
Much better than the changeling, at least this was entertaining, action packed and generally gripping. 8.5/10

The Eye of the Phoenix- An excellent episode with pretty much everything needed for an entertaining saturday night drama show. It will probably end up being a crucial cog in the overall series story arc, as a superbly handled scene near the end supplies some intriguing teasers for the series finale. The best episode in series 3 so far. 9.5/10

Love in the Time of Dragons
An episode bridging the gap between compelling and rubbish, in short the first OK episode of series 3. Pros and Cons everywhere- a great script, a lack of action, good character development and sometimes lazy, dull scenes. Nevertheless, it was stronger than some episodes and made perfectly adequate viewing. 7/10

Queen of Hearts
A return to the standards of episodes 7&8 with an epic, engaging and comedic episode. Colin Morgan makes his best acting performance of the series as 'Dragoon' the old Merlin, complete with some of the most funny scenes since the goblin episode in the courtroom and Bradley james and Angel Coulby also deliver fantastic acting. One of the strongest stories so far, and with Series 3 reaching a level of quality that beats parts of Doctor Who, and with Series 4 on the way, the future looks bright for Merlin. 9/10

The Sorcerer's Shadow
An solid all round episode. The best performances by guests this series, a mix of battles and dillemas, this is one of the most engaging episodes this series. Very well done. But why can't they dump this repetive tournament formula, It's getting dull. 8/10

The Coming of Arthur Part 1
Oh my god. The perfect Merlin episode, with all the vital ingredients for a sucessful instalment of the show, plus hundreds more extras, I am struggling to find a fault in this one. Road trip, battle, verbal battle, emotional moments, this has it all. Oh, and did I mention the blistering, game changing cliffhanger? Exceptional. But only exceptional because of the cliffhanger. If it had been a singular instalment, it would have scored 9. But when you see a finish like that after a pretty great episode anyway, you literally can't not give it perfect marks 10/10

The Coming of Arthur Part 2
The icing on the cake. A fitting finale to a great series, with new characters returning, Excalibur, Knights of the Round Table and a thrilling climax all featured in this super-compact 45 minute episode. A fantastic pre credits starts it, and it's all uphill from there. And then the episode finished with Excalibur placed in the stone. It's pity that the series is over, but Series 4 is on the way- a 10 episode run. Hopefully they'll cut the filler episodes. Anyway, thank you to everyone at the BBC for making this series a joy to watch. 10/10
UPDATE: Series 4 is 13 episodes again- its going to open with another 2-parter. :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 28 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2010 17:14:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Dec 2010 17:27:36 GMT
You don't realize, do you. It isn't negative reviews I object to- not in the slightest. The three times I have branded someone arrogant is: Lady Godiva [I don't mind negative reviews, but I disagree with reviewers who want the programme to be made for them because it isn't historically correct], a user who agreed with Lady Godiva [see above] and you ['dog excrement?' You don't have to be that strong. As for the license fee issue, you don't have to watch Merlin. Your comments are just grumpy moaning. And finally one last thing. You know what child abuse is? Go and pick on somebody your own size, you mindless, emotionless idiot. Reply if you want, its amusing to see what you come up with next.
PS What's funny is that I'm not called Joel
PPS Preppie means a prep school kid- I'm in Year 7, moron

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2010 19:51:29 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 7 Apr 2011 01:33:16 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2010 20:11:53 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 7 Apr 2011 01:33:24 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2010 20:20:21 GMT
Whoa. Seriously, get a life. Stop insulting kids- it's not funny. You haven't even bothered to keep up the 'Im a victim!' act, cos you claim that my suggestion is despicable, but then you call me a sm/ghead again- bloody hypocrite. You are a child abuser- you insult me without feeling remorse. I'm called Louis, thank you very much though for you suggestion. I don't own Amazon, so I can't really answer your question, but if I did, yeah I'd give refunds. You're the spoilt brat, by the way
PS It's actually quite funny how you come up with these insults. I'd like to know where they came from. :P

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2010 20:16:45 GMT
Ha ha ha. I'm laughing my head off. Seriously, though, you deserve that comment with the things you've called me. Take that moron.
Ps What shows do you like? The swearing at kids show?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2010 02:43:31 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 7 Apr 2011 01:33:30 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2010 09:06:37 GMT
Seriously, read what I said before trying to defend yourself. Nobody on Amazon likes you. All you do is insult for no reason at all. The personal comments you make are really offensive, and you don't care about that. You call people who watch special features loners, stalkers. You only care about you. I have plenty of friends, and do well at school. I'm adult enough not to believe in myths like Santa. You have no idea what kids my age are like. I watch merlin cos its fun, nothing else. You are nothing but a freak who needs to insult to get through your life

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2010 20:46:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Dec 2010 17:55:09 GMT
I criticised cos that was my view. Other people have insulted, not just me. And besides I apologized anyway, so that is that. But have you looked at the ugly truth. No one on Amazon has given you a helpful vote. And surf troll?? You must love that insult a lot:P
PS Reply. Please reply. It's the only reason that I keep going- to get the truth into your thick head. And Viva la russia? you in a nutshell really.
PPS Sorry, but what gave you the right to say the things that you say? God? The tooth fairy? [lol]

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2010 20:12:44 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 7 Apr 2011 01:33:37 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2010 13:09:59 GMT
You make me sick. You're like one of those moronic Sun reporters who only tries to get the juicy gossip. I did say that, but i commented afterwards that you needed to realize the truth. You have dodged all my questions, and all you have done is personally insult.
Ps A simple maths sum shows how stupid you are: Human+Deluded Prat= JS. Simples!

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (264 customer reviews)

£34.99 £12.27