5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best Memories ..., 6 Sep 2009
This review is from: Thunderbirds Complete Series Digistack--9-Disc Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Thunderbirds was always something I had fond memories of watching as a child and when I saw that Amazon.co.uk had dropped the price of the complete series DVD box set I hesitated buying it because I was wrestling with the notion that as an adult things often do not seem as good as they were as a child.

After going through the "Should I, shouldn't I" phase, I finally relented and purchased it. Upon receiving the box set I promptly began watching ....

Wow! amazing! all my concerns about whether this would be watchable again as an adult melted away. From the classic "5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ....1!" opening sequence which gives the viewer an instant teaser trailer of what the episode will feature accompanied by the thrilling, fast paced theme tune, I was hooked! Gerry Anderson uses the preview teasers during the opening sequences of several of his TV series to great effect and Thunderbirds is one of the best at doing this.

Toward the end of the first episode while the Fire Flash airliner was attempting it's emergency landing with he fantastic camera shots of the aircraft from above trying to line up for a landing on the elevator cars I actually began to perspire with the adrenaline. Anderson knows exactly how to portray the excitement and danger of a rescue situation not only visually, but with excellent high-octane music perfectly composed and used to underscore the scene. The effects are wonderful with large objects actually behaving like they're heavy and have real mass, often belie their 40+ year old age.

Anderson's attention to detail (watch the hot steam rise from the hydraulic ram used to raise the massive Thunderbird 2 just prior to its launch or the sweat on the face of Virgil during the elevator car sequences) and the array of clever and incredible machines he created still stands out today. Sure, as a product of the mid 60's you can see the influence of that decade in many of the aspects of the show, but this only adds to the charm of the series in my view.

Picture and sound are very good with vibrant colour and sounds which I think have been digitally enhanced to give explosions and jet thrust blast offs a bigger kick which is a nice touch.

All this action would be fine, but add to that strong and well defined characters meant that I found that I actually liked the Tracey family and cared about what happened to them. My personal favourite is Scott who is cool under pressure and also has the perfect voice that really adds to the "coolness" of the show. Surprising too, was how adult many of the themes seemed to be. Things like politics, ambition, anger and greed play a part in many plot lines which as a child probably went unnoticed, but as an adult viewer you can see how clever and often sophisticated the stories were and how this show was created in a different era where we didn't "dumb-down".

There's also a great positive moral tale here too, that someone would spend the time and huge sums of money to put such an organization together to save human life at the risk of his own son's lives and seek no publicity nor financial reward for doing so. This selfless and noble aspect also adds to the "feel good" factor of a successful rescue against the odds.

After watching all 32 episodes now I can honestly say that I felt a tinge of sadness that it was all over and left me wanting more. The extra disc is very informative and well worth inclusion in this box set.

I could go on more, but I think I've made my views clear in this review. I personally can thoroughly recommend the purchase of this box set and wondered why I waited so long to get hold of it. If, like me, you watch this show and smile again and think "Wow! they just don't make them like that anymore" then you'll know what I mean.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 May 2010 17:20:03 BDT
A great review of 'Thunderbirds' - you helped make my mind up....have bought it to watch with my 7 year old Granddaughter in our little 'film club' - I used to love 'em though I was a good bit older than seven when they first aired - early teens I think !! Still , as you say they stand up well.
Regards
Alan

Posted on 5 Mar 2011 10:50:29 GMT
You have summed it up perfectly S.Morris...I felt exactly the same as you did as to whether or not to buy this set as I loved it so much as a lad. I have just written my own review to add weight to the cause but you basically said it all. Fantastic.

Dave Sheppard.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2013 11:22:58 BDT
R Thorp says:
Thanks, that's helpful. My 18 yr old loved TB when young....I'm now pondering getting these for the future when I'll hopefully have grandchildren!
One question, please could you check the box and find out whether it has subtitles on it please?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 08:22:01 BDT
S. Morris says:
Apologies for the delay in responding to your question.

I couldn't find my box, but I pressed the subtitle button while checking the first episode and there was indeed English subtitles. I noted that certain audio effects were mentioned in the subtitles too. For example, in the scene I saw, the Fireflash jet liner had just broken the sound barier with a boom and the subtitles said [sonic boom].

Hope that helps.

Regards

Steve

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 19:28:06 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 16 Apr 2013 19:29:01 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 22:50:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Apr 2013 23:00:01 BDT
R Thorp says:
That tells me exactly what I needed to know, Steve, thank you so much for taking the trouble to check that. It's great to be able to get these things having confidence that the subtitles are there, as they are so important.

Ruth

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2013 07:59:18 BDT
S. Morris says:
You're most welcome! I hope you enjoy the box set.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 09:22:17 GMT
firetart says:
I am Going to buy this for my friend 's birthday he will be 54 and is still a boy at heart.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (157 customer reviews)

124.99 15.00