5.0 out of 5 stars Clarification on Series 9 & 10 plus news of Series 11& 12,, 3 May 2008
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine - Series 9 & 10 [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
I have deleted my former review so that I can update the situation - sorry but they won't let me do two!

Having enquired directly of the company who produce the LSW DVDs - Universal Playback are just the distributors - I have discovered that what we saw on UK TV as 'Series 9' was actually Series 9 & 10, shown back-to-back, although they had been commisioned seperately - it was felt this would help promote Michael Aldridge as Seymour, the new 3rd man. Later releases on video seperated them out again and this was confirmed for the DVD releases - unfortunately without clarification.

I've been a LSW fan since the pilot and am a former co-editor of summer-wine.com, now unfortunately defunct, and the state of affairs re: the BBC and LSW series DVDs has caused a lot of concern for many fans - however, I can confirm the above facts have been confirmed by a senior LSW production member.

I can also confirm, direct from the producing company, that the DVDs due for issue late in December 2008 will contain the following episodes:

Last Of The Summer Wine Series 11:

TX Date 24/12/1988 Duration 060m 11s

Last Of The Summer Wine Xmas 89:

# Episode Title
01 WHAT'S SANTA BROUGHT FOR NORA, THEN? TX Date 23/12/1989 Duration 049m 45s

I hope this explains things satisfactorily - and I'm sure we all hope this means a faster turnaround of LSW DVDs - there are rumours of Series 13 & 14 in late Spring 2009 - no confirmation yet!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 May 2008 12:48:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 May 2008 12:50:21 BDT
J. JOHNSON says:
From Jerry Johnson; Thanks Patricia Carline for the clarification . As long as we get all the episodes and at a fairly fast rate , everything will be fine . The series called 9-10 which we now have is great and Michale Aldridge fits in perfectly . It seems to me that anyone who becomes the 'third man' does a great job and even though Foggy may be my favorite all are superb in their own right and contribute well to the greatest sitcom even produced . I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate Roy Clarke, all the actors/actresses and producers/directors who gave us and continue to give us such a beautiful and lovely show . I just now came to look and see if and when 11-12 would be available for pre-order , and just enjoyed 3 of the greats from 9-10 . I like to "Savor" them and watch a few at a time . As soon as we get through all , we will start over and enjoy them all again .

Posted on 22 May 2008 14:39:37 BDT
Frank Moyes says:
I do find BBC and/or 2 Entertain Video Ltd explanation somewhat arcane. It flies in the face of all the literature which points overwhelmingly to content being limited to Series 9 plus Christmas Specials.

And to support this explanation a new numbering system has been invented: ....7, 8, 9 & 10 (one number), 11, 12 .....!

Main purpose of my comment, however, is to point out that Play.com and Sendit.com are specifying release date of 29 September 2008 for Series 11 & 12 (so-called) DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2008 12:40:55 BDT
I am pleased to find all this out ! Thanks for being so helpful by putting all of this handy info into the public domain !
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (83 customer reviews)

£24.99 £10.00