3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
Dark, sexy fun!!,
This review is from: Bloody Bones: An Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Novel (Paperback)
This was the first Anita Blake novel I picked up. Thanks to this book I'm now hooked on the Anita Blake series. Absolutely brilliant, I haven't read such a good fantasy/horror book in a long time. However, the dark side was that it dragged a little but somehow LKH manages to keep the reader (me!) acting like an addict i.e. scrounging for more. I was incredibly happy that LKH wrote this book as I've been searching for such a complete series for ages, with a non-perfect hero/heroine, lust, sexual undercurrents and kick-ass moves. However,I admit I had to get used to a lot:
1. Anita resembles in stature, Buffy the vampire slayer. I mean I've always wanted a tall slayer
2. That Anita has ugly scars that don't really seem to bother her. I kinda admire her for that, I mean she is the only slayer that I've come across that doesn't care for what she looks like.
3. Anita can't really do kick ass moves without her gun. She gets chucked across a room by a kid-vamp so Lord knows how she became dubbed 'The Executioner' and even survived in that world. It seemed to me she's had a couple of lucky escapes
4. I really liked fact that LKH explored issues which some writers fear to go near or don't have the expertise to express in words. I'm talking about paedophiles, family beliefs and attitudes to teenage kids and underage sex or fatal seduction. This is one of the reasons that kept me reading probably, I love it when a writer is bold, because it makes me feel enthusiastic in a way.
5. One of the biggest shocks is that Anita doesn't do sex before marriage. What a shocker! But I'm guessing hormones will kick in sooner or later especially with 2 delicious hunks circling her
6. Finally the men! God they are to die for. Jean-Claude is probably my dream man and everything I wanted Angel (from Buffy) to be. He has secrets , is a vamp but strangely one of the few who actually seem human at the same time. Maybe it's because of the simple act of him LOVING Anita rather than lusting for her. Richard, poor guy. I feel so sorry for him, I mean Anita he realizes starting to fall for J-C and he can't do anything about it, coz she can't dump him in case ends up like dog meat. Larry is just so adorable definitely one of my fav characters, he's so vulnerable , immature but he grows up incredibly quick I guess that's what Anita's world does to you. It's an almost happy ending coz he becomes independent from Anita in the end. Which can't be said about Jason. He is honestly the most complex characters I've ever come across even more than J-C . He's so intriguing, kinda of a twisted masterpiece. I hope to see more of him in the future.