5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, if you want it to be!, 3 Sep 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is simply one of the best and most engaging games I have played in a long time. Graphically it looks sweet, very moody in that cyberpunk / bladerunner way; sound is utterly absorbing, really helps set the tone; gameplay is key and this is the area that will perhaps split opinion throughout the reviews you read - and for a good reason!

Unlike the last reviewer, I agree with Square Enix in that this game is NOT a shooter. At least it needn't be played like one. In fact, I would go as far to say that IF you do play it like a conventional FPS the game will suffer slightly.
This game is about choice - now, that does include the choice to play like a shooter, but if that is your intention you have to develop your character into a better FPS model (i.e. use your Praxis points - that gain you augmentations - to harden your character, boost his health stats, make him a tank - also develop his weapons). However, very early on the game gets you to think about the way you want to play - from the outset it basically says "are you going to aim to kill everyone or avoid everyone" its a bit more sophisticated than that, but that is what is at the core.
For me, I LOVE stealth games - so opted to develop my character and approach missions in a more stealthy way - which the game encourages in my opinion. So I have loved creeping through each destination, avoiding being seen and only taking down enemies I had to. Also, contrary to how some reviewers have interpreted the 'melee' move and described it as 'slow' and 'costly' etc. I would agree that as a melee move it would be rubbish - but thats because it is really designed to be a stealth take down move. Creep up behind your foe and take him down in one easy - virtually silent move, then hide the body etc and proceed.

Everything about this game to me screams approach enemies with caution - they are often too numerous to be taken on at once (until you've developed a tank character anyway). So explore, isolate and take down! Or avoid completely! Or just kill a few to aid your escape! Its entirely up to you and thats why I feel the game is so amazing.

You don't have to just play one style either - in the space of one mission I stealthed my way in to the top of a building for one objective, hacked my way into a lower floor of the same building to complete another objective - then returned to the street and talked my way through the front door to complete the final objective. No blood shed on this occasion but thoroughly enjoyable! (Without wanting to spoil anything, I did notice that I could have hacked a door to my final objective through the sewer system, but hadn't developed my hacking ability far enough yet). Eventually you will have to prioritise certain developments over others - you can't be an all singing, all dancing everything machine - again though, its down to choice. Develop your silver tongue or be invisible? These are tough choices to make! This, for me, demands replay!

The world of Deus Ex is a dark and deep, with lots to uncover through sleuthing and stealthing - and if you buy into this play style, take the time to let the game unfold, plan your approaches etc then you will find it VERY rewarding. If on the other hand, you're looking for an FPS fix to bridge the gap between now and Battlefield / Modern Warfare 3 - this game really isn't for you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Sep 2011 09:58:44 BDT
i felt the fact that this game included boss battles is clearly a statement from the developers that this game is mean as a combat game in which the idea is defeating an enemy with force is prevalent, i agree this does not need to be played as a shooter and that it was of its main strengths but it IS a shooter

Posted on 11 Sep 2011 09:59:17 BDT
great review though btw

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2011 10:19:24 BDT
R. Keech says:
I see what you're saying, but I haven't actually shot anyone dead yet in the game. Stunned a few, bombed some bosses - but haven't shot a soul! I feel like I'm playing the game as it was meant to be played - but I suppose others playing an entirell different style could say the same thing!?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2011 10:19:38 BDT
R. Keech says:
and thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2011 11:58:59 BDT
yeah im on my second play through at the moment and this time im not shooting anybody, it has a lot of replay value

Posted on 15 Sep 2011 22:53:34 BDT
A. Russ says:
I love how it has that Manga-esque/ AKIRA cyber punk atmosphere where everything looks like it's been put through a sepia filter. For me I find the shooting itself to be decent from the FPS perspective, but I also prefer the stealth approach more often than not. For me a game like this is like a Metal Gear Solid title - savor it, if you run and gun you'll miss out and more than likely get capped.

Also, I don't know what it is, but that Mass Effect style electronic soundtrack is something that always pulls me into games. Love that futuristic sound. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2011 17:09:51 BDT
ToastBongo says:
This could be done in the original game and was one of the reasons I loved it so much. Great review - I think you got the point of the game completely and I like that you haven't droned on and on. Gracias

Posted on 10 Jan 2012 21:57:01 GMT
Chatighe says:
I started playing this game a couple of days ago and couldn't make my mind up about it. What is it trying to be? I really wasn't expecting a stealthy RPG title (although a mate has warned me that boss battles require combat). Your review has helped me understand this title, thanks. I look forward to progressing, playing Deus Ex as stealthily as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 10:31:58 GMT
ToastBongo says:
Chatighe - go for stealth as much as possible early on. It's really satisfying and makes the game a real challenge. You also get extra exp for stealth non-fatal takedowns, which is fairly useful. I was an idiot and didn't get double-takedown until near the end and it makes life so much easier!

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 13:52:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Oct 2012 13:56:48 BDT
Jayne says:
Your review hits the nail on the head to perfection. I thought this game was truly brilliant - in fact, it's one of the most engrossing, fun and challenging games I have ever played. I ended up playing as a not very stealthy passive-aggressive with a penchant for shooting guards in the crotch from air vents but I did get the achievement for knocking people out - did a lot of that! I have never played a Deus Ex game before and I must admit, I really struggled at first and had to lower the difficulty to 'tell me a story' during the first boss fight but I nailed the rest. Amazing game, now time for the DLC, then a replay to catch those three missing side missions I missed and I wouldn't mind attempting a no-kill playthrough. Any tips on the best non-lethal weapon(s) for upgrading? I take it the shotgun doesn't count? What about EMP-ing robots, and turning turrets and 'bots on enemies? Does that count as killing?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (126 customer reviews)

£49.99 £2.99