4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Sensia, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: PURE Sensia, Digital Audio System with Wi-Fi and Colour Touchscreen - Black (Electronics)
I had seen all the reviews and online demo of this product before its launch and could not wait for its release.

I love gadgets and could not wait for its release. On wednesday 11th November I purchased the white sensia in John Lewis. (I would have ordered it on Amazon but I could not wait for delivery)

The radio looks terrific. That was the good point..................

I was at first, very unhappy with it, as it kept switching off and resetting itself. At first I thought it was probably updating itself but It kept happening so on Saturday 14th November I took it back for a replacement. I could not believe my luck when this one turned out to be faulty as well. It would not hold its settings such as my WIFI password and radio favourites. By now I was very disheartened but ever the optimist I took it back on Monday 16th and got another replacement, this time a black sensia. I could have got a refund but as I like the look of it so much, I decided to stick at it.

Now nearly a week a later I'm so glad I did.........

The look is stunning and the screens in my opinion are good once you get used to them. You may feel the search and touch screens are unresponsive at first but once you get a feel for the sensia you get used to them. I will admit it can be annoying that when you want to search the Listen Again programmes, as it only displays part of the title.

The DAB radio works very well and I guess that because of its solid telescopic ariel, it has no trouble in finding stations. It seems to pick up a lot more than my old Pure DAB Radio.

The Lounge WIFI internet radio works well and it was very easy picking up stations by genre and country. For example I like country music so I went into the search function and picked Country in the genre tab and USA in the country tab and hey presto I was listening to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. You can easily store all you favourites by clicking on the heart icon which is displayed by the name of the radio station (this function is the same for DAB and FM radio as well). You then just scroll thru your favourites rather than having to go back and use the search screen for over 1200 stations. In order to create folders for your favourite stations and add stations that you can't find, you need to register the radio with the lounge website and create an account which is directly linked to your radio only. Once this is done you can then view all your stations in different folders and delete favourite stations that you no longer like on your radio itself.

The APPS Icon at the bottom of the screen does not work and keeps on saying that the APPS function is coming soon. That said you can now view APPS for twitter and the weather by scrolling the top right hand screen left to right (or vice versa). Once you see the twitter screen you can scroll up and down to change to the weather app. You will need to change the location to your town by clicking on the bottom of the left hand corner of the screen. A setting icon will appear and then bring up a screen with Kings Langley typed in it as a default. If you press the backspace button and overtype this with your own town, MAKE SURE you PRESS the GREEN TICK ICON before pressing enter. This way it will search for your town. if you DO NOT press the green tick icon before pressing enter - it will search but come back with Kings Langley displayed again.

There is nothing to help you with the alarm function but again by playing around you begin to work it out, although I still can't work out how to wake up to a different WIFI station other than the last one listened to the night before. When setting the radio its asks you to pick the station you would like to wake up to, now if your listening to a different WIFI station when its turned off then that same station is what will wake you up and not what you had selected. For example I was listening to a thunder storm in the Pure Sounds WIFI menu. I wanted to wake up to a WIFI country music station but got the thunderstorm instead even though the alarm menu clearly states the station I had picked. I have not tried this with DAB or FM so do not know if this happens with them. I emailed PURE to find out what I'm doing wrong but as yet a week later still no response. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

The external input is good and plays my IPOD.

I have not used the internet streaming function for music and photo's.

The sensia sound great for its size.

Also being right next to my bed, its good to be able to turn the clock off when in standby so it does not light up the room whilst you are sleeping. If you wake up in your dark room and need to know the time then just touch the screen and the clock appears for about 5 seconds.

Im not sure why theres a remote as most of the buttons don't seem to have any functions except for volume, toggling between DAB/WIFI/FM etc and standby.

The quick starter guide that comes with the Sensia is not a lot of cop, Your are supposed to download the full manual online but it has not been finished!!!! When you try to use it and click on certain pages/icons it just says coming soon - which is not a lot of cop when you are trying to use your sensia to its full potential. Most of the above I have worked out by playing around with it. You would think that for £250 it would come with decent manual. I guess they have tried to rush this out for the Christmas period.

A week ago I would have said do not buy this radio for at least a month or two but now I have got used to it - its great!!!!!

I think that with further updates this radio will be amazing and performance will match is great looks.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Nov 2009 23:23:11 GMT
pablo9364 says:
Thanks for a great in depth review. i was also having problems with the lack of a manual (the online manual is useless). I now know how to set my location into the weather app, I also kept getting results showing Kings Langley (as did others).

I have had the Sensia for over a week and I agree it takes a lot of getting used to but in the end its worth it. Most of my problems were really just getting to know how it works.

Posted on 2 Dec 2009 09:57:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Dec 2009 10:09:19 GMT
T. Grundey says:
I bought my Sensia 3 weeks ago & initially I was very disappointed. Soon atfer connection it to my network a message appeared on screen saying update available but only offering a green tick to accept. It downloaded the update but hung on install. I switched it off & it restarted with only a black screen saying Sensia. Only option after speaking to support was an convoluted update via USB. This only works with Windows PCs running XP or Vista 32bit & you need your own cable. A software update via WiFi takes several minutes, the radio is silent during this & there no option to reject of not convenient

On 2 occasions it froze & unplugging & leaving it for several minutes revived it. I now have ver 1.3 software & its been stable for last 2 weeks. I think Pure released this bit too soon. It sound & looks great & its best DAB radio I had out of 6 but I remain a bit dissappointed

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2009 14:26:01 GMT
Dr. Paul Ell says:
Software version 1.4 is now available. I've been trying to see what is new but can only report that the Apps button now works - but there are still only two apps...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2009 23:00:57 GMT
A. J. Fitter says:
As far as I can see, v1.4 has changed the Apps message (as you say still only 2 apps though), stabilised the scolling function - it's now much mor manageable and most importantly, allowed you to see long titles, Listen Again programme titles etc. by the clever use of showing the first part of the title followed quickly by the second part. There maybe other improvements too but it was only updated this morning.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2009 14:22:51 GMT
Dr. Paul Ell says:
Yes, I think you're correct. I noticed the scrolling functionality today. Yesterday I finally managed to get the Sensia to link to my PC so it now shows photos wirelessly and in full screen mode. The image quality is pretty good.

Posted on 17 Jan 2010 09:28:59 GMT
Does the pure sensia work with AA rechargables, or should I buy the regarge pack with the unit?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›