3.0 out of 5 stars Useful advice but not as good as the rest of this series, 1 Jan 2010
This review is from: Eating Well When You're Expecting (What to Expect) (Paperback)
I was looking for a book to give me guidance on what to eat when pregnant, and also some good recipes. I had been very impressed with the amount of information in What to Expect when you're Expecting so decided to give this book a try.

The book is written in a similar format as What to Expect when you're Expecting, i.e. black and white, no images etc. Part 1 discusses how to eat well, while Part 2 focuses on the recipes themselves. Part 1 was quite helpful and well written; it discusses what is meant by eating well and what to eat when dealing with morning sickness, cravings, food aversions, constipation, gassiness and heartburn. It also explains how much weight you should gain and has a chart so you can plot this. There is a section on the vitamins and minerals required, pregnancy diet, and eating safely which includes food hygiene and which foods to avoid.

The recipes include nutritional information per portion so that you can compare this against the amount you are meant to be getting each day as described in the pregnancy diet section in chapter 1.

There is nothing wrong with this book at all - if you want to follow everything by the book during your pregnancy this might be interesting; however I did not really want to plot my weight on a chart or monitor everything I ate each day - I tried this for a few days and in the end decided that I instinctively knew what I wanted / needed to eat. I did find the section on food safety useful, though much of this information can be found for free on the internet.

As far as the recipe section goes, I have tried a few of these which were tasty enough but I found that what I was eating was already pretty balanced. I prefer a recipe book that has pictures of the meals in colour (this book has no pictures at all) and I found it particularly frustrating that there was no index to the recipes, as I had to keep flicking through the book to find the one I was looking for.

The book is well written and contains a lot of useful advice, it explains the theory in the first part, and provides the recipes in the second. However, I found that What to Expect When You're Expecting had a lot of the basic information I needed on what to eat / to avoid. In retrospect I could have bought a good health food recipe book with colour photos and selected recipes from it that were suitable for pregnancy. Whereas I refer to What to Expect When You're Expecting on a weekly (if not more frequent) basis, I have only really flicked through this book a few times.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]