4.0 out of 5 stars Great, unplugged, show from Bryan Adams on Blu Ray, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: Bryan Adams: Live At Sydney Opera House [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I have been a fan of Bryan Adams since, well, way back! The chance to have one of his live shows on Blu Ray with HD quality was one I looked forward to and, largely, the disc has been a good purchase. The show itself sees just Bryan and what looks like his twin performing all of the hits to an appreciative Sydney audience. Filmed at the world famous Opera House the set has just the two of them with piano and guitar accompaniment. Bryan has a great vocal range to make this work even with some of the rockier songs such as Summer of 69. Every song that I would wish to hear at one of his shows is present and Bryan adds a fair amount of commentary at the end of each track with some amusing anecdotes.

Apart from a brief introduction at the start there are no extras and the Bare Bones name applies to the content of the Blu Ray with some very basic menus. None of this is an issue though - pop-up menus are available while watching to enable you to go straight to the track you require.

Sound quality is absolutely superb. A DTS HD Master audio is present and it is fantastic throughout. Picture quality is mixed - this is Bare Bones in terms of stage lighting as well so don't expect a visual feast with this one! The camera work is largely OK but I found myself getting annoyed with the lack of the usual front view which seems to have been replaced with a hand-held camera taking on different views from around the stage. The close up of the microphone (just the mic) with Bryan's mouth got a bit tiresome - there is only so much spitting you want to see! One of the cameras that focuses on the piano playing seems to be in SD rather than HD (there are 2 shooting the piano and one is very sharp). Also lots of manual focusing which is very arty but I would rather see a pin sharp image and concentrate on the show.

In the end I would thoroughly recommend this release. It was a close call in terms of giving this a 4 or 5 but went with the 4 because of a few shortfalls. I just hope that Bryan releases a Blu Ray for his next full tour - if so please leave the hand-held camera alone!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Sep 2013 02:58:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Sep 2013 04:28:07 BDT
Can you post a few pictures of the case / artwork? :) Thanks, great review!

Too bad on the barebones extras... would love a brief interview or rehearsal or something...

Posted on 5 Sep 2013 04:18:26 BDT
I don't get these "un-plugged" things. When I think of Bryan Adams, I want rock, not some near-folk version of his songs.

Thanks for the review. This will be released in the United States next week, and I almost pre-ordered this. I'll skip it.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2013 04:23:40 BDT
Well, unplugged or stripped down versions are great when done right. And Adams have proved that with the excellent 1997 album. I mean rock songs like I'M READY and FITS YA GOOD got transformed into a new song basically, and it's genius. Of course not every song sounds good acoustic, but Bryan's chosen the right tunes over the years. The Bare Bones tour is more stripped than UNPLUGGED. It's got only a guitar, harmonica and piano. I like it. It's a nice spin. But do I miss the rocker Adams? Of course. Hopefully they'll release blurays for his full band show. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2013 06:52:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Sep 2013 09:36:13 BDT
GreenSt says:
Hi Fairdy, the case artwork is on the main Amazon page - the front image is exactly as you see in the shot and the rear is basically a menu type listing for the tracks. The case is the thinner type and also contains a booklet with more shots and credits for the production. I will take some shots and post on Amazon later.

Edit - images now uploaded as requested. Hope they help

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2013 16:58:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Sep 2013 16:58:45 BDT
M. A. Smith says:
Some of Adam's songs sound GREAT stripped back (Such as IT'S ONLY LOVE and STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART) but enough already - The last TWO Albums have been in this format and whole Albums of the stuff is too much to bear! - Hoping Bryan comes up with something original for his next Album, really enjoyed '11'

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2013 17:25:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Sep 2013 15:00:45 BDT
I saw Bryan Adams live back in the late 80s. This was around the time INTO THE FIRE was released. I had actually gone to see the opening act, Patty Smyth, and wasn't that interested in Adams. The suck button was on for Patty, and her presentation wasn't all it could be. I was disappointed. Then after some appropriate space of time, the lights dropped off, and from the dark, one thick base note swooped down, and the lights splashed on simultaneously with the first chord of "Only the Strong Survive," blowing my hair back, and Adams was full-throttle rock. What an entrance! And he never let up, the entire show. Every song was great, with his scorched defiant vocals and no-nonsense rock guitars, and I was a Bryan Adams fan after that. I didn't go out and buy everything he did, but I was definitely forever in his camp.

And I want a concert DVD that puts me there, again, while he was in that mode, not this unplugged stuff. I don't care how good his stripped-down versions sound, they don't sound like THAT, like he did on that day.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2013 05:57:18 BDT
I get what you're saying. Screw the incredible acoustic stuff, and get the rock stuff right! I too miss his rock days. In facet, 11 is a tame record to me. I want some 18 Til I Die and Waking up the Neighbor rock... Maybe Bryan will come back to his senses. He's only in his early 50s... McCartney still rocks it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (10 customer reviews)

21.99 18.77