ARRAY(0xac7b75e8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Reduced functions, but fantastic SatNav, 6 Nov 2010
This review is from: TomTom GO LIVE 1005 5" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries) (Electronics)
TomTom have been market leaders in simplicity and accuracy of navigation for many years now, and I have been a loyal follower having used several models. The new 1000 / 1005 series (1005 simply has a bigger screen), is another step forward in the device - slim, attractive and so easy to use. However, there have been a number of criticisms of these models as TomTom seem to be reducing functionality rather than increasing it - so, for example, you won't yet find the ability to add your own POIs, btu the company says that is coming.

What you have here though is a continued refinement of the core functionality of the device - the ability to go from A to B simply, easily, with the minimal hassle and without getting lost, ending up in a dead end, or the wrong side of the country! The TomTom 1005 does that superbly. The box arrived just before I had to make a trip to Shropshire, via the M5 / M6 junction, the satnav was out of the box, in the car, fired up and ready to go within minutes - it is very intuitive. It comes with a year of 'live' services free (payment after that) and they are very good - accurately predicting each set of road works / traffic jams.

The new mount is also very good - drop the satnav on it and magnets pull it into place - when you are ready to go, just pull it off...

So, yes, there is some reduction in what it can do - if you want your satnav to act as a multi-functional, do everything in the car type of device, then perhaps one of the slightly older models will be more suitable, or await a later stage in the life of this model, however if you want the latest iteration and just need to get from A to B then it is very good - 4 stars only because it seems strange for devices to go backwards in functionality!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Nov 2010 12:14:04 GMT
Hello,

I've read a lot of bad reviews regarding this hardware.
Yours was the best review I've read so far, is your opinion still the same? no problems with subscription to map updates, or update the point-of-interest database on the device, or add any additional POIs. it's true it is not possible to share map updates with other users or not possible to back-up the device.

Did you had any problems with the HD traffic or incorrect maps avoiding main free roads?

If you can help me with this I would be very thankfully.

Posted on 5 Dec 2010 10:04:45 GMT
vital spark says:
You must be from tomtom,no mention of the time it takes to calculate a route,let say the one I tried from Yeovil to Kiel in Germany,a full 6 minutes it took the thing whereas my old Garmin 865t took just 45 seconds.That was my first and last tomtom to convoluted.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2011 16:43:21 GMT
Blue Dolphin says:
Hi,

I've got a 1005, I've just spoken to tomtom customer services 2day to get an update for the services, The guy said "that it had being a mistake releasing the devices (1000/1005) they are still having on going problems with the map updates & map share, therefore they are still unavailable, they are still working on the problems.

In reference to the HD traffic I have found it to be functioning correctly without any problems.

I hope this helps you!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2011 10:54:04 GMT
J. C. Bates says:
Thats interesting... well my 1005 is performing pretty much in line with my previous 740 model. The 5" capacitive touch screen is awesome. I like the context sensitive menu system. No probs with time taken to route and no problems at all to report. I hope the customised POI feature comes on board soon as this is the main feature I miss but otherwise it's actually a really nice bit of tech.

My criticism is with the lack of standalone desktop software for sync and backup. The web interface replacement is useless at the moment.

I know eventually TomTom will sort this all out so I am happy, for now.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2011 12:52:32 GMT
I have just lost my Garmin 865T to an early morning collector of dubious parentage. As Garmin have now discontinued the 865T I am looking for something to replace it with. The general consensus of opinion seems to be that in general, Sat Nav's do less than they used to "apart from getting from A-B". May I ask what you have replaced your Garmin with and is it as good as the 865T ?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2011 17:36:50 GMT
Blue Dolphin says:
new application 2day allowing you to install your own POIs

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2011 18:00:48 GMT
A. Evans says:
I am seriously thinking of replacing my Go730 purely for the live updates. Is it worth it?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2011 07:42:52 BDT
Hi, yes it is, the 1000 and 1005 is very fast and good live, it gives you live updates every 2 mins and live links to weather and google, very handy if you do not know the post code but know the name of your destination or just a general search, Tom Tom has it's own server. It is very functional and due to the options you can make it as multi functional as you like or not ! Your choice. Hope this was helpful

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2012 16:07:47 GMT
Jack says:

Posted on 27 Oct 2012 17:28:53 BDT
I bought the live 1005, I like it most of the roads are up to date, it has not up dated the new A1 road near York as yet which is a bit of a shame. And it was not accurate in the centre of Edinburgh. The worst thing I find about this one versus my previous Tom Tom is that it does not beep when I exceed the speed limit, which has caused me a problem. I have been into the settings as it shows as it should beep, but its either faulty or this feature has been taken off. Has anyone any idea?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (466 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 141.99