5.0 out of 5 stars Gaming heaven., 29 Aug 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
This game is a masterpiece. Totally engrossing and utterly beautiful.

This Game of the Year edition is my first venture into the Fallout world, and I was a tiny bit nervous about the negative reports concerning the freezing issues. Well, i've played the game all the way through, including the extra content, and I have not experienced any such effects. No freezing, no skips, nothing.
Now, I take care of my ps3. I keep it cool, I keep it on a raised surface, I regularly clean the dust from the vents at the back, and I never run it for more than 4 hours at a time.
Now i'm not saying that all the people who report problems with their games don't look after their consoles, but I certainly believe that looking after your console helps games run at their optimum level.
Anyways, make of that what you will.

The game itself though, is a joy to behold. The storyline is genuinely affecting. It will play with your emotions, and on many occasions you will find yourself in the midst of realistic moral decisions. The outcome of which will certainly effect which path the story takes.
The control system and experience/level-up system appears very complex on the surface, and if you are relatively inexperienced with role-play games, then the learning curve may seem a little steep. But persevere, and it will all slot into place.

Some people will be put off by the First person perespective. I nearly was. But after only a short time, it becomes clear as to why this setting was employed as the game's default. It sucks you in more, it makes you feel part of the action, rather than simply controlling it from above.

A unique selling point that needs mentioning is the VATS system. It basically allows you to slow-motion time, and target specific parts of enemies' bodies. At worst, this is hugely comical, and at best it is absolutely essential for defeating certain foes.

It's pointless for me to go into the plot. Doing that would ruin the experience, and wouldn't lend anything to this review.
This game is of such high quality that the setting is almost irrelevant when deciding whether to buy it or not.
Suffice to say that the game is set in a post-nuclear war era of Earth's history, populated by groups of human settlers, and sporadic bands of various monsters/creatures. You don't need to know any more than that.

In my view, if you're after a game that will suck you into another world, this is it.
If you want a game that effects you emotionally, and makes you think, this is it.
If you want a game that will take you months to complete fully (elite), this is it.

If however you want a game that requires zero intelligence to play, and where you just simply shoot stuff, then move on. This is a game for people with a brain.

Buy this game, it'll be the best thing you play all year, and it'll remind you why you got into gaming in the first place.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Aug 2011 16:29:26 BDT
Jayne says:
I have been really enjoying the more deep, engrossing games of late such as Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Red Dead Redemption and this game was recommended as being great, however I really hate first person view points. I just can't get a feel for a game in first person perspective, and I have tried with Oblivion (which I hated to be honest because try as I might, I could find no storyline to follow and no missions to do! Just ambling along getting nowhere!) but other than that Fallout 3 sounds really good! And I love a deep, engrossing story too. Is there an option for third person and does it work OK? Is it really possible to get past first person mode? Good review by the way!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2011 17:36:15 BDT
R says:
In comparison to Oblivion, Fallout3 is far more structured. There is certainly an engrossing storyline in which you can become truly involved in and after about 15 minutes of play, you will genuinely start to care about your character.
Also, from the very beginning, the missions are laid out and the structure of the game is explained (in game) very clearly.

There is a 3rd person view option. It can be toggled on or off in-game at the press of a button.. but in all honesty tge character can feel a little 'floaty' in this mode. Sort of levatating rather than walking. Its certainly a playable mode however.
I would suggest trying the 1st person mode though. I too am not keen on this perspective as a rule, not being huge fan of fps nonsense. But fallout3 really does come into its own in 1st person view.. Especially for dialogue exchange between characters.

In my humble opinion, fallout3 is an adventure gamer's dream. Perseverence is key, but the rewards are worth it.

In direct answer to your concerns however..
There is far more structure than Oblivion has, and the view isn't really the big problem it could be.

Give it a try. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2011 20:53:26 BDT
Jayne says:
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Gaming can be very hit or miss for me, not liking FPS games either. I think for the reduced price it might well be worth a buy. I am patient with games (aside from Oblivion - but perhaps I should have stuck it out!) and love to get my teeth (or rather what's left of them lol) into big, meaty games and spend time learning the control system. I got to grips with Red Dead pretty well and that's what I am currently playing but I need another steak ready for when I have completed it! I was thinking about Mass Effect 2 and that looks pretty good. Oh what the hell, it's my birthday soon so I might as well treat myself to both of them. Well, if I don't buy myself something nobody else will. Hello Mr. Mastercard how are you today?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2011 22:06:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Aug 2011 22:08:54 BDT
R says:
Its your birthday soon? Well, may I suggest that after you've had your talk with Mr.Mastercard you should keep your game and not play it until your big day?
I won't ruin the potential surprise, but your introduction to Fallout3 will be all the more immersive if you do... Its a plot thing... ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2011 23:09:16 BDT
Jayne says:
Well I have a bit to go before I finish RDR, so I will get this now and test run on my big day. Big day lol. Not when yer getting old lol. Rather forget about birthdays!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (154 customer reviews)

£39.99 £15.19