3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad points, 19 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX6972/10 FlexCare+ Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitiser (Personal Care)
In terms of performance, this toothbrush cleans extremely well and reaches difficult spots which wouldn't be thoroughly cleaned with manual brushing actions. After a descaling at the dentist, it maintains the smooth polished feeling for a months if used regularly. My dentist has certainly noticed the difference.

Now for some less favorable comments:

It can be quite harsh and abrasive on enamel so I generally use this once a day and brush manually otherwise.

It has a number of features e.g. different brushing modes/ UV sanitiser etc, which may influence the decision to buy but I would guess most owners will soon ignore.

A word of warning: It has begun to turn itself on and off randomly (any time of day including night) after I have had it for around 1 year. At first I thought the battery simply needed another full recharge but the problem continued. I have now allowed the battery to run flat and no longer use it.

Another problem as stated in another review is the black mould that grows around the handle/neck area. The discolouration is hard to remove. I am sure the manufacturers can counter this issue with an anti-fungal impregnation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Feb 2011 23:48:35 GMT
Remains says:
I too have experienced the same problem with this toothbrush - a little over a year old and it randomly switches itself on and off without warning. I can no longer use the brush for this reason and will be contacting Philips with regard to this fault as it should no have broken after only a year!

Posted on 7 Jul 2011 00:49:40 BDT
John Malcolm says:
I had similar problems with an older version of this Sonicare range. It started turning itself on and off spontaneously (on its own) and had this black mould problem, too.
I was looking forward to buy the latest model, hoping Philips would've had the opportunity to solve both by now.
I reckon I will have to look for something different!

Posted on 11 Jul 2011 09:08:55 BDT
Roxy says:
Great review, it helped me not to buy, and waste a huge amount of money for a simple brush at the end of the day!

Posted on 25 Jan 2012 09:24:36 GMT
D says:
We have had many (more than 5) different model sonicares since october 2010. Beware, the power has failed on all of them after varying lengths of time - always less than 1 year. Make sure you keep the receipt as I just return them and get a replacement

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2012 23:55:00 BDT
Driven says:
I'm looking to replace one of these that has just failed. Yes it was due to the random stop-start problem, but this was after about 4 years use not one. I felt that it was a fault with the on-off switch initially.
Given the comments on here, I'm wondering whether the interval between charges makes a difference to the time before the fault appears. I've always let my run down fully before recharging. I complained to Philips, who offered me a 20% discount on a new one (via their on-line shop). It sounded quite reasonable at the time, although even with that, the price is slightly higher than on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2013 15:19:43 GMT
Have had a couple break as well, problems after a year or so, BUT Philips sent a new one by mail twice!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 10:02:59 GMT
Try cleaning it have 1 of these for 2 years no problems but I do clean it weekly

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 10:03:46 GMT
have two one 2years old 1 4 years old no probs

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 14:45:49 BDT
Pez Pezzo says:
I bought 2 sonicare. First one broke after a year and it was replaced. (it had issue with power, it just went dead ). Then second one broke after a year with similar power issues and it was replaced. You wont believe now! The first replacement broke after almost a year ! Philips refused to replace because they did not have proof of sending me replacement first time!!! I emphasise the fact that i have my sonicare in "like new condition" keeping them dry as black mould tend to affect them if they are wet which seems to be the problem with all of them!!! Now, I am waiting for our second replacement to break. Don't buy it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›