2.0 out of 5 stars Left feeling very angry, 13 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Believing the Lie: An Inspector Lynley Novel: 14 (Hardcover)
I have been a loyal reader of Elizabeth George for donkey's years but have to admit that I did not really enjoy this nor the previous book. For me she has now crossed a similar line to Patricia Cornwell where the franchise has gone on too long and in an effort to maintain storylines the characters have changed to a point where they are no longer believable.

I don't want to give any plot away as I am sure there are many that enjoy EG's books as I once did, but for my own part, the characters and some of the things they now do are beyond belief and lack credibility and this for me ruins the novels.

I am also sceptical about her research / researchers as I have found things to take issue with in several of her books and I find this an annoyance as they are things easily checked. In this novel - (not a spoiler) she describes the white shirt of a WH Smiths employee. Go into any branch Elizabeth - they are blue check.

The later books have also descended into gratuitous invective and sensational language / scenarios - this was never a part of the earlier works.

I'm left feeling angry - I've lost a favourite author.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jan 2012 10:33:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jan 2012 10:34:30 GMT
This matches my view completely. It was long, complex and absorbing as we have come to expect, but verged on the ridiculous. I could see some episodes being performed as farce they were so far fetched. The idea of "sexing it up" was presented as distasteful in a strand of the plot but EG has felt the need to do that literally.
I'm not concerned about the colour of the shirts in W H Smiths but I always look out for the English mistakes, which most frequently occur in language useage. She must write primarily for the US market & seems to want to appear to be "English", but her novels would read more authentically if a Bristish person read them through before publishing. A couple of examples - her use of "bum" which may be a favourite word for us but not as she uses it, & who talks of a Kit-Kat bar?
I think the best has passed with Elizabeth George.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 22:01:10 GMT
Sue Carter says:
Can't agree more I won't be buying any more after this latest effort. I did so love her earlier work too. It's a great loss for me, really, a huge disappointment.

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 14:06:01 GMT
Very useful, I did not manage to finish the last one and unless I read a stream of 'return to form' review, I will give EG a miss for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the tip

Posted on 27 Jan 2012 14:55:52 GMT
Thank you for this review. I feel exactly the same. I loved her books until she killed Helen. And then she died as an author. You saved me another disappointment.

Posted on 30 Jan 2012 23:29:23 GMT
Liz Barnsley says:
I have to disagree- although I would take your point if you were talking about "Careless in Red" where I felt she wasnt sure what to do with Lynley after the loss of his wife. Now I feel she is getting back on track - and I HAVE to know what happens with Barbara and her neighbour. I hope you will give her another go - but of course she is writing in a field that is choc a block with choices.

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 11:31:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Feb 2012 11:33:08 GMT
Carl says:
For somme time now, Ms George's books have been roughly 200 pages too long. She goes into such mimute detale about her characters that is not neccessary. A few novels ago, she inserted the St James couple into the story simply to inform them of Lyndley's wife's pregnancy. Admittedly, St James was given some research to do, but it had absolutely no bearing on the story. it's time she learned to tighten her plots and help save the rain forests.

Posted on 5 Feb 2012 11:58:48 GMT
Amy Dillwyn says:
I've had a bit of a mixed reaction to EG for years - some of her novels I've enjoyed very much in spite of the fact that she can't really get her head around British society - the aristocracy don't figure much in most of our lives I think. I agree with this review and found a lot of it very hard to really take seriously in terms of various characters and how they behaved.

And am I remembering completely wrongly that Barbara's mother had died in an earlier book? In this one she is refered to very briefly as still being in the nursing home; if so, she now appears to be extremely peripheral to Barbara's concerns which doesn't fit with what we've previously seen of B's character.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 17:45:25 BDT
Barbara says:
I agree with comments that this novel is a disapointment to Elizabeth George regular readers. I feel that E.G. has taken as many topical and contentious issues as she can and made a mish mash out of them, indeed in an effort to, in her own words "sex up" the novel.
I write this comment before I have completed the book and must admit that despite my criticism I need to finish it.
Barbara Rigg

Posted on 5 Feb 2013 14:03:36 GMT
S HUNTLEY says:
This is the first of Elizabeth George's books I have attempted to read, I am on to page 307 and I have never read such a boring book in my life. I am never one just to leave a book before I have read it all but I am very close to sending this to the charity shop !

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2013 20:04:51 GMT
How unfortunate that this was your first - her earliest ones are good - they got progressively weaker as time has gone on.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›