2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Product, 15 Dec 2007
This review is from: Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 - In Ear Studio Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I listen to my MP3 player during my regular commute to work and have enjoyed the sound-blocking qualities of my Sony Fontopia in-ear headphones for the last couple of years. I recently decided to upgrade to a pair of "proper" in-ear headphones and, after extensive online research, settled on the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 as the best sub-100 option. However, my experience with this product has been disappointing for the following reasons:

(a) The earphones are designed so that the wire loops over the back of the ear and enters the ear from the top rather than the bottom. Despite trying all of the various ear-bud sizes included with the earphones, and following the product instructions to the letter, I could not get a comfortable fit.

(b) The earphone wires are very heavy gauge. This means that they easily catch on your clothing, etc. when you turn your head. Look both ways to cross the road and, hey presto, the earphones pop out.

(c) Whilst the sound quality of the earphone drivers is very good, the two issues above mean the earphones themselves do not stay in your ears for very long, and the superior sound quality amounts to nothing.

I was genuinely surprised with the problems I had with this product. I'd assumed that because these earphones were designed for rock-stars jumping around stage, they would easily cope with my 40 min train-ride to work, but sadly they did not.

On the positive side, the compressible foam earbuds supplied with the Ultimate Ears cancel out background noise really well PLUS they also fit on my old Sony earphones - so I'll be wearing these from now on. However, if I was smart, I would have saved myself 60 and bought these separately.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]