2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not great, 14 Nov 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified (PlayStation Vita) (Video Game)
So I'm a huge COD fan and Black Ops on the PS3 is my favourite installment of the series so I was initially gutted when the first trailer appeared. I still pre-ordered mainly because I was desperate for the game to be good and my fears were alleviated once I saw some of the footage online in the past week. I travel 4 hours a day to and from work so I play my VITA a lot so I have been desperate for a FPS that would alleviate the boredom and I was sure this was going to be one.

However, for all the positive player reviews I still can't help feel disappointed by BOD.

It's true that the graphics are much improved from the initial trailer but I still don't believe that the VITA hardware has really been pushed in the same way that Uncharted or Wipeout did. The controls work well enough and the auto-sprint is ok considering that I spend most of my time running in the console versions, the grenade system is ok but mildly annoying having to remove your hand from the right thumb stick. The sound is also ok (far better than Resistance) but still feels weak and is very quiet even through headphones.

I've found the campaign missions to be really annoying in that there are no checkpoints and you have to replay the entire mission from the beginning even though there are obvious places where a check/autosave point could be placed.

When playing the multiplayer I keep getting stuck in lobbies for a long time (over 5 minutes on my first attempt) and then when I finally get in a game I am frequently playing with another 2 players rather than 7. Hopefully this is something that can be ironed out but it felt like there are more players waiting in lobbies than in the game. However it plays quite smoothly with minimal lag and is a massive improvement on the Resistance multiplayer.

Although it is probabaly unreasonable to expect the game to 'deliver the full Call of Duty experience' as promised I still feel for the price that this is a severely watered down version of the game I love. I have read that many people believe that the game 'feels' like Call of Duty but for me it 'feels' closer to Resistance BS even though the majority of the features you expect from COD are there.

Although this review probably sounds quite negative it really isn't the awful game I was originally expecting. Nihilistic have done a decent job I just wish that it was handled by a developer that has worked on COD before. Seeing as 3arch was spending so much time on BLOPS2 maybe Infinity Ward could have taken this on and it would have been a closer representation of the game we know and love/hate :-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Nov 2012 14:09:58 GMT
B. Jones says:
realy good review mate - i like the fact that although your a massive fan of the series your review is completely unbiased and is presented on the actual product. i am still on the fence on this one - im a battlefield fan myself but i too want a decent shooter for the vita.... but i may end up getting it based solely on peoples reviews on amazon : - unlike some of the leading web sites take on of ALL vita games being absolute cr@p. have a look at pocket gamers review for COD vita... man! surely its not that bad!!!!! what is it with the whole vita hate thing going on?
i love the vita - its all i play these days!
when u got kids u aint got time to be on the ps3 all day!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2012 22:50:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Nov 2012 22:57:22 GMT
Whut says:
Mate, I'm a Battlefield 3 fan too (after switching from MW3) and this is nowhere near the experience you'll get on a console. I appreciate that the VITA isn't going to give you that anyway but the more I play this the more I don't like it. I've been playing BLOPS2 on PS3 tonight (campaign as the multiplayer servers are down) and it just goes to show the gulf in class between the two. Uncharted is great example of how they can make a handheld version of an epic game but this really hasn't had enough time and skill to do the same. I've actually changed my review to drop a star. Rent it first bro and don't buy it blindly. Just got to wait for Killzone now!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2012 10:38:12 GMT
B. Jones says:
agreed. ill stick with need for speed vita and little big planet. now they are worth the money!

killzone now please!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2012 02:19:33 GMT
trinidoctor says:
Agree completely with B.Jones. Where is all the vita hate coming from? Anyway as for the vita in addition to Need for Speed and Little Big Planet you can add Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. The beta was loads of fun on the vita so I'm getting it on release rather than the ps3 version. As you said - when you have kids you don't have time to be on the ps3 all day!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (81 customer reviews)

39.99 20.99