4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice purchase, 9 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2597LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates, Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (Electronics)
I read some bad comments for this specific Garmin product, but being a previous owner of this brand I took the risk to try it for my own.

Maps update: first I activated the built-in maps by connecting to satellites. The first connection took a couple of minutes. After this step the registering to Garmin website and download and install the new maps took around 30-40 mins. I have to accept that I have a fast 60Mbs internet connection, thus the process may have been fast in my case. It was interesting that the internal memory of the device was enough to do the map update (full Europe). The previous Garmin I owned (W255) needed external memory card in order to proceed with map updates.

Navigation experience: I tested the product driving from Prague (Czech Republic)-Krakow (Poland). The overall experience was nice. I did not experience any loss of signal and liked the lane support.
One negative thing I experienced was the inaccurate info with respect to A1 motorway in Poland. While in Garmin maps it is shown as finished (i.e. no need for diversion) in reality there was a 5-7 km interruption where I had to divert in some villages in order to re-connect to A1.

TMC: Road info pop-ups appeared time after time while in CR. While in Poland I did not receive info about road diversions, probably not offered there...

Bluetooth: The connection with the mobile phone was straight forward, no issues in the process. However, the Bluetooth may need some improvement because while I could hear the other party very well I had to talk quite loud in order they could also hear me.

All in all I would recommend to buy this product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Oct 2013 10:24:24 BDT
Hi, Can I ask you about the traffic alerts. I have bought this Garmin model and I love it so far but the traffic updates haven't happened yet. I have had to link it to my phone via smartlink. Is this what you had to do to. If so, is this how your traffic alerts appear on your sat nav.
Regards,
Shirley

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2013 00:37:32 BDT
kA says:
Hi, the traffic updates just popped-up in the left part of the screen automatically. In order to receive the updates: 1) There should be transmitting points in the motorway (e.g. from company maintaining the road) and 2) you should use the original car charger (included in the package) while driving because it has the built-in receiver.
Regards,

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2013 10:53:14 BDT
Thanks for you response. I do use my lead and connect it every time I get in the car. Maybe the traffic alerts have not been necessary although I do go through major road works every day. I have sent an email to Garmin to see if they have any advice on the matter. Thanks again for your help. Shirley

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2013 11:09:38 BDT
kA says:
Hmm..., this is weird. I also receive these alert when traveling e.g. in Prague circle (which is not a motorway). My guess would be there are no transmitters in that particular road, or at worse a faulty device. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2013 12:28:12 BDT
Thanks again for your response. I'm waiting for Garmin to respond. Did you have to link your device to smartlink on your phone to get the alerts or is it via your power lead in the car.
Shirley

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2013 12:50:30 BDT
kA says:
No I did not connect it with smart link. Well, of course I tried it, but because it is a paid service for most of info it gives I am not using it. smart link gives you info for eg. fuel prices in the nearby area, weather conditions (this I guess is free because I could see weather info in the GPS screen, but not fuel prices) etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2013 18:52:41 BDT
Thanks again K, I have had a reply from Garmin and have to do a factory reset and once I've done this I will try it out on my way to work tomorrow. I thought the smartlink was need to get the free live traffic but obviously not. Hopefully with the instructions from Garmin, it will put my device right. Thanks again for all of your help. Shirley

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2013 18:56:46 BDT
kA says:
You are welcome! (even if I could not really help with instructions to solve your problem :) ). Never thought about the "reset" option though. Let's hope it works.

Cheers,